Lucid CEO critiques other EV-SUVs

Let me know how well CarPlay navigates for you on a road trip. It's going to do real well in the Lucid when it programs in no charging stops along the route. I didn't buy an EV to then have to manually add in my charging stops because a navigation system can't do it.
It’s coming to CarPlay…..

On the point of OEM claimed range/efficiency vs actual, I strongly recommend you go read up on controlled experiments (not EPA # with fudge factors). Out-of-Spec, CR, and several others have done their detailed analysis.

In short, Tesla's and Lucid's claims in range and efficiency are the most over-stated among the popular EVs. Rivian is in the middle (i.e., mostly right on or slightly better than claimed). The German cars (BMW/MB), as a group often exceed their claimed efficiency and range.

So, please don't just that the EPA rating and the manufacturer's claims on face value.
The BMW’s got 3 miles per kWh, Lucid 4 miles per KWh……..and there is the difference- dumb range vs smart range. Yeah, you can put a 200 kWh battery and get more range with much less efficiency. This is what Peter is talking about. BMW’s are no where as efficient- and they are cramped, no frunk- this takes no advantage of EV packaging.

Lucid engineering make a very efficient EV with loads more space- this is the Lucid mantra and what they should stick to. Compare the back seat of a BMW i4, iX to the Lucid.

The BMW’s got 3 miles per kWh, Lucid 4 miles per KWh…
On EPA tests. Actual efficiency for most drivers may differ significantly. My expectation is that the Gravity will excel at EPA testing, as did the Air, and will have a long-trip range of about 75% of its EPA figure - about 330 miles. This is close to the actual 70mph range that initial reviewers have found for the Polestar 3 and Macan EVs.

Ok, IMHO, the Gravity might end up being a good vehicle but it's NOT an SUV but more like a squashed mini-van. So, I don't think that it competes with Rivian more likely the Cadillac Lyric.

I want a full-size SUV EV and the Gravity might have a lot of room and power but it's not for me because it sits way too low.

There is air suspension. No reason why sitting low should be a negative factor.

Software matters. You could have a SUV with the greatest engineering in terms of driving dynamics, efficiency, and cabin space but if you can’t get into your car reliably then what’s the point?

I want a full-size SUV EV and the Gravity might have a lot of room and power but it's not for me because it sits way too low.
It's great to have more and more choices available with different tradeoffs.

Ok, IMHO, the Gravity might end up being a good vehicle but it's NOT an SUV but more like a squashed mini-van. So, I don't think that it competes with Rivian more likely the Cadillac Lyric.

Right on!

The Gravity is an "Urban wannabe SUV" to go to Costco and soccer practices. As I noted in a prior post, it is 12" shorter (in height) than the R1S. This shorter height can cut seriously into Gravity's headroom, legroom, and storage.

The R1S is rugged and has adequate ground clearance to do some off-roading. Its under-carriage is heavy-duty. I recently installed running boards on my R1S and spend several hours under the R1S attaching the running boards. I know how rugged it is.

The Gravity is an "Urban wannabe SUV" to go to Costco and soccer practices. As I noted in a prior post, it is 12" shorter (in height) than the R1S. This shorter height can cut seriously into Gravity's headroom, legroom, and storage.
I mean, it has more of all those metrics than the R1S. Also, what do you mean by "wannabe?" I thought the design made it pretty clear that it isn't trying to be an offroader...

I mean, it has more of all those metrics than the R1S. Also, what do you mean by "wannabe?" I thought the design made it pretty clear that it isn't trying to be an offroader...
If Lucid was explicit that the Gravity is NOT a true SUV including some off road capability, I missed it! After all, it has air suspension, 4 wheel drive, right?

Lucid claims two 6ft 4" can sit comfortably in the 3rd row of the Gravity. Maybe it is true. I have a hard time seeing that!

If Lucid was explicit that the Gravity is NOT a true SUV including some off road capability, I missed it! After all, it has air suspension, 4 wheel drive, right?

Lucid claims two 6ft 4" can sit comfortably in the 3rd row of the Gravity. Maybe it is true. I have a hard time seeing that!
Don't get me wrong, I think the Gravity could well be a good vehicle for 90+% of the populations. I am not sure it is built for 6 or 7 adults on off road trips. If that's not their targeted market, it might be fine.

It’s coming to CarPlay…..
You do realize it's already available in the current CarPlay. Lucid like many others just choose not to implement it.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Gravity could well be a good vehicle for 90+% of the populations. I am not sure it is built for 6 or 7 adults on off road trips. If that's not their targeted market, it might be fine.
Have you seen one or sat in one? It would fit 6-7 people perfectly fine. I wouldn’t want to be in the third row as an adult for a cross country road trip, but for some fun few-hour trips it would be fine.

The Gravity is capable of off-roading but that’s not its selling point.

Didn't the EPA recently update their EV testing metrics to make them more realistic? That's why the 2024 Air ranges changed (and why Lucid increased the GT battery pack to 118 kWh to maintain the 516 mile range). Given this, the Gravity EPA estimate should be much closer to reality than the Air's was.

The BMW’s got 3 miles per kWh, Lucid 4 miles per KWh……..and there is the difference- dumb range vs smart range. Yeah, you can put a 200 kWh battery and get more range with much less efficiency. This is what Peter is talking about. BMW’s are no where as efficient- and they are cramped, no frunk- this takes no advantage of EV packaging.

Lucid engineering make a very efficient EV with loads more space- this is the Lucid mantra and what they should stick to. Compare the back seat of a BMW i4, iX to the Lucid.
I would take exception to the efficiency comment. The efficiency of my RWD i4 is extremely close to that of my Lucid. Yes, the Lucid weighs about 500lbs more, but the i4 easily beats the i4 EPA estimates as do many other German cars. To match the Lucid’s EPA estimate I really have to drive it very carefully, paying close attention to factors that impact efficiency.

With that said, no arguments on space efficiency or frunk space…although I’ve never use the frunk in any EV I’ve owned that had it.

Have you seen one or sat in one? It would fit 6-7 people perfectly fine. I wouldn’t want to be in the third row as an adult for a cross country road trip, but for some fun few-hour trips it would be fine.

The Gravity is capable of off-roading but that’s not its selling point.
I have seen the Gravity at the Westfield Valley Fair but not sat in one. They wouldn't let me....in reality, the demo unit at Westfield didn't seem to have real 3rdrow seats, just mockups.

With respect to seating capacity and comfort, my main concern is, Gravity is 12" shorter (in height) than the R1S. The Gravity probably has a lower ground clearance. Still, I'd expect the inside cabin height to be 8:" to 10" shorter than the R1S. As I mentioned in other posts, both me and my son are 5ft 11 and we found the R1S 3rd row seat to be "comfortable" for short trips (say <2hr).

Lucid claims they can seat two 6ft 4in passengers in the 3rd row seat. That might be optimistic. I am sure you can get the passengers in there but I am not sure they want to stay there for a 2 hr trip. :)

I think the Gravity will do fine as a "Suburban SUV". It will be a step up compared to the Tesla X/Y 3 row. I am not so sure it is on the same level as the R1S or the Escalade.

If you can get me a free Gravity loaner to try out, maybe I will change my mind. :cool:

I hope the SW quality on the Gravity is a quantum step above that of the Air. To me, that's more important than the headroom.

I have seen the Gravity at the Westfield Valley Fair but not sat in one. They wouldn't let me....in reality, the demo unit at Westfield didn't seem to have real 3rdrow seats, just mockups.

With respect to seating capacity and comfort, my main concern is, Gravity is 12" shorter (in height) than the R1S. The Gravity probably has a lower ground clearance. Still, I'd expect the inside cabin height to be 8:" to 10" shorter than the R1S. As I mentioned in other posts, both me and my son are 5ft 11 and we found the R1S 3rd row seat to be "comfortable" for short trips (say <2hr).

Lucid claims they can seat two 6ft 4in passengers in the 3rd row seat. That might be optimistic. I am sure you can get the passengers in there but I am not sure they want to stay there for a 2 hr trip. :)

I think the Gravity will do fine as a "Suburban SUV". It will be a step up compared to the Tesla X/Y 3 row. I am not so sure it is on the same level as the R1S or the Escalade.

If you can get me a free Gravity loaner to try out, maybe I will change my mind. :cool:

I hope the SW quality on the Gravity is a quantum step above that of the Air. To me, that's more important than the headroom.
You are really underrating the Gravity's space. By all accounts, the headroom seems similar while the legroom (especially in the third row demolishes the R1S, as well as the EV9 we have. People say the EV9 has more third row legroom than the R1S, and yet I can barely stand sitting in it for more than... 5 seconds. I literally cannot fit my legs without moving the 2nd row seat forward (I'm 5'11)!

I would not dismiss the interior volume and headroom of the Gravity even with it lower overall height. Gravity is 2.6" shorter in length than the R1S. The cargo volume behind the front seats is 104 cubic feet in Gravity and 88 cubic feet in R1S. I like the R1S styling but I think the Gravity interior is going to be more spacious with more headroom than the R1S.

You are really underrating the Gravity's space. By all accounts, the headroom seems similar while the legroom (especially in the third row demolishes the R1S, as well as the EV9 we have. People say the EV9 has more third row legroom than the R1S, and yet I can barely stand sitting in it for more than... 5 seconds. I literally cannot fit my legs without moving the 2nd row seat forward (I'm 5'11)!
Perhaps...I am working from know data... Gravity's height is 12" lower than that of the R1S. Gravity also has a slightly sloping back roof when compared to the R1S. But I think the Gravity is lower riding than the R1S. Combining these parameters, my guess is, Gravity will likely have 8"-9" shorter height in the 3rd row part of the cabin.

Whether it is 8-9", I don't know. Perhaps Lucid has some tricks up their sleeves to carve out more head/leg room. But, seating two 6ft 4" persons in the 3rd row of Gravity (as claimed by Lucid) takes some imagination or contortion.

Perhaps...I am working from know data... Gravity's height is 12" lower than that of the R1S. Gravity also has a slightly sloping back roof when compared to the R1S. But I think the Gravity is lower riding than the R1S. Combining these parameters, my guess is, Gravity will likely have 8"-9" shorter height in the 3rd row part of the cabin.

Whether it is 8-9", I don't know. Perhaps Lucid has some tricks up their sleeves to carve out more head/leg room. But, seating two 6ft 4" persons in the 3rd row of Gravity (as claimed by Lucid) takes some imagination or contortion.
Gravity photos from Westfield

Attachments

• Gravity 2.jpg
    Gravity 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • Gravity 1.jpg
    Gravity 1.jpg
    844.5 KB · Views: 28
Back