• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Lucid at Home Charger Coming "Very Soon"???

Oh good, I need one of those or a Chargepoint home flex. The cable looks lighter than my Tesla Gen 2 HPWC, good news.

Coming “very soon” . Now where have I heard that before? Still waiting on that VIN to be coming “very soon.”

Quite frankly, unless they are ready to release it, stop with the tweets about it coming very soon. I’ll believe it when I see it. I’ll also wait for the Tom Moloughney EV charger review before purchasing.

I wish that one company who has a pre-production version would release some info, but I'm sure they are under a NDA

I wish that one company who has a pre-production version would release some info, but I'm sure they are under a NDA
I've spoken to them about it since they're going to install it for me once it's released. Based on what I've talked to them about, they think the speed is overkill (it is), but they really like the EVSE otherwise. That said, they're installing it, not using it regularly, so who knows.

I've spoken to them about it since they're going to install it for me once it's released. Based on what I've talked to them about, they think the speed is overkill (it is), but they really like the EVSE otherwise. That said, they're installing it, not using it regularly, so who knows.
Yes, the speed is way overkill, but definitely future proofed. I would only get it if you want the bidirectional capabilities. Third parter EVSEs will be cheaper and have everything one needs otherwise.

Yes, the speed is way overkill, but definitely future proofed. I would only get it if you want the bidirectional capabilities. Third parter EVSEs will be cheaper and have everything one needs otherwise.
Yeah, for me it's just the futureproofing. I don't want to have to worry about it for my next EV, and I am too spontaneous to plan charging well, so the higher speed is convenient. :p

I'd be using it on an existing 60A circuit, so more like just a pretty box for me.

I'd be using it on an existing 60A circuit, so more like just a pretty box for me.
Yeah, then it's almost certainly not worth it! It'll cost much more, I expect, than any of the existing EVSEs.

Yeah, for me it's just the futureproofing. I don't want to have to worry about it for my next EV, and I am too spontaneous to plan charging well, so the higher speed is convenient. :p
My wife forgets to plug in sometimes with the Leaf, but with 500 miles of range on the Lucid, it won’t matter!

Yeah, then it's almost certainly not worth it! It'll cost much more, I expect, than any of the existing EVSEs.
It would be useful in case I forgot which brand of car I bought, as it has a reminder printed right on the front. Probably as you say, if it's significantly more expensive that a Chargepoint, it won't be for me.

It would be useful in case I forgot which brand of car I bought, as it has a reminder printed right on the front. Probably as you say, if it's significantly more expensive that a Chargepoint, it won't be for me.
I would guess it is double the ChargePoint in price. If you are only charging at 60 amps, get the ChargePoint Flex and hardwire it in. We already have a Chargepoint and, unfortunately (bad decision for the company), we can have only ONE ChargePoint Flex on the account so it will be the Lucid charger or something else.

I would guess it is double the ChargePoint in price. If you are only charging at 60 amps, get the ChargePoint Flex and hardwire it in. We already have a Chargepoint and, unfortunately (bad decision for the company), we can have only ONE ChargePoint Flex on the account so it will be the Lucid charger or something else.
We also have a Chargepoint in another garage bay. The bit of info that is missing, other than Lucid's EVSE cost: how much will the gateway/transfer switch cost, and when will it be available? The prospect of V2H in the home could tip the balance.

I want it now!! I'm planning to use it for my backup power when PG&E starts turning off our power like they did last year.

I don’t quite get it this is the same charger that comes with the dream. That runs On 50 amp service a Md pushes about 10Kw to the car.
A "mobile" charger comes with the cars. A wall-mounted charger will carry more current and is designed for everyday use. And in Lucid's case, could be used for vehicle-to-home (V2H) electricity supply to your home in the event of a blackout - with the addition of a probably expensive additional "gateway" box and transfer switch and its installation.

If you have a home generator, is there a super big advantage for the bidirectional charging? I don't think I want to run down my car's battery charging my home, if I can use the generator, when there is a black out...

If you have a home generator, is there a super big advantage for the bidirectional charging? I don't think I want to run down my car's battery charging my home, if I can use the generator, when there is a black out...
No advantage if you have enough fuel for the generator.

Back