Lucid and Mercedes EQS in the wild

Maybe someone who is also carrying rear seat passengers and their luggage?
We have both cars and the EQS hatchback seems to have more usable space than the DE even with the seats up.

Pray tell. Which one do you prefer driving?
Well, as Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young would say - "Love the One You're With", so I like the one that I am driving, when I am driving it.

The Lucid has brute power and great range, plus I like the interior. The Mercedes is just such a polished car and everything just works. Also, I am not worried about Mercedes going out of business!

Right now the EQS is easier to hop in and head to the grocery. It comes on in seconds, then I push the HomeLink button under the mirror to open the garage door and off I go. I can listen to my SiriusXM or say "hey Mercedes, set the temperature to 72". The AMG EQS is a very fast car. Faster than I need but the Lucid is stronger going from 65 to say 90 to pass. What I really want is the Dream Edition equivalent that Lucid will have in 12-18 months when the bugs are worked out or the Hummer SUV that I have a reservation for but won't pay $50K over MSRP for! ;-)

Well, as Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young would say - "Love the One You're With", so I like the one that I am driving, when I am driving it.

I've seen conflicting reviews of the back seats in both cars. How would you compare them in terms of legroom, headroom, seating position, ease of ingress and egress?

Reverse this and then you have an accurate comparison.. Mercedes interior is like sitting in a high end home theater. Lucid is like sitting in an elegant living room.

Great analogies! (Except the Lucid is a living room that does 0 to 60 in ~3 sec.)

However, in terms of seating...

Barcalounger & Mercedes EQS: Comfy billowy pillows!

1652310145905.png
1652310239997.png

Eames & Lucid Air: Timeless functional elegance

1652310353923.png
1652310483601.png

I've seen conflicting reviews of the back seats in both cars. How would you compare them in terms of legroom, headroom, seating position, ease of ingress and egress?
Both have lots of room and comfortable seats. The EQS seems to have a little more leg room. I did hit my head getting into both but the EQS seems to be just a little taller. I am 5'10", so not sure what someone really tall would think.

I know this is not very scientific so if anyone cares, I can get measurements.

Great analogies! (Except the Lucid is a living room that does 0 to 60 in ~3 sec.)

However, in terms of seating...

Barcalounger & Mercedes EQS: Comfy billowy pillows!

View attachment 2106View attachment 2107

Eames & Lucid Air: Timeless functional elegance

View attachment 2108View attachment 2109
Ah, I’ve gotcha now. I view the Eames as more comfortable so I wasn’t thinking about it as timeless in style (I’ve wanted one of these for a while but man they’re priced high). That’s a very good point.

Ah, I’ve gotcha now. I view the Eames as more comfortable so I wasn’t thinking about it as timeless in style (I’ve wanted one of these for a while but man they’re priced high). That’s a very good point.
The AMG EQS has very sporty seats not "S Class" style but I do really like the Lucid interior.

The Lucid has brute power and great range, plus I like the interior. The Mercedes is just such a polished car and everything just works. Also, I am not worried about Mercedes going out of business!

Right now the EQS is easier to hop in and head to the grocery. It comes on in seconds, then I push the HomeLink button under the mirror to open the garage door and off I go. I can listen to my SiriusXM or say "hey Mercedes, set the temperature to 72". The AMG EQS is a very fast car. Faster than I need but the Lucid is stronger going from 65 to say 90 to pass. What I really want is the Dream Edition equivalent that Lucid will have in 12-18 months when the bugs are worked out or the Hummer SUV that I have a reservation for but won't pay $50K over MSRP for! ;-)

From your comments, the Mercedes Benz is definitely all of a piece. This level of refinement and polish is to be expected from an automaker with over a century of design and manufacturing experience. Sounds to me like Lucid is still very much in the fat part of a very steep learning curve. But still farther ahead than Tesla was, at the same point in their infancy. I’d wager Peter Rawlinson learned a thing or two about how to design and manufacture a car from his work at Tesla (and Jaguar), and how not.

Thank you for responding. Your remarks were very helpful.

From your comments, the Mercedes Benz is definitely all of a piece. This level of refinement and polish is to be expected from an automaker with over a century of design and manufacturing experience. Sounds to me like Lucid is still very much in the fat part of a very steep learning curve. But still farther ahead than Tesla was, at the same point in their infancy. I’d wager Peter Rawlinson learned a thing or two about how to design and manufacture a car from his work at Tesla (and Jaguar), and how not.

Thank you for responding. Your remarks were very helpful.
What I don't understand is that some of what I consider design flaws, and the abysmal software are things that Peter Rawlinson should done better with his experience. Let's hope that Lucid learns from its mistakes and soon.

What I don't understand is that some of what I consider design flaws, and the abysmal software are things that Peter Rawlinson should done better with his experience. Let's hope that Lucid learns from its mistakes and soon.
I could see how from a drivers car perspective the Air is bang on...because it is. It's just that other small tiny part, like I don't know, practicality that seems to have missed the mark. 🤣

I could see how from a drivers car perspective the Air is bang on...because it is. It's just that other small tiny part, like I don't know, practicality that seems to have missed the mark. 🤣
Exactly!

I mull this over frequently and always end up of a mixed mind.

As I've said, the two most inexplicable things to me are the sorry state of wireless phone charging and front console design in the Air with which I must live as long as I own the car. Then, there is the myriad of issues with software, for which I hold some hope of improvement over time.

As for the other issues that annoy me, my views are more complicated, as most are driven by legitimate imperatives, mostly related to efficiency and thus range: the high rear floorboard, the low roof rails, the thick A-pillars.

But, as I think about it, there have been features in every car I have owned that I wished had been approached differently by the manufacturer. On balance, the Air remains a set of compromises that has yielded the best balance of power, handling, comfort, structural solidity, and style that I have owned thus far.

On Monday I picked up my 6'1" partner at the Miami Airport after a month-long trip to Europe where he drove a Peugeot diesel station wagon throughout. We were in the Air for the two-and-a-half hour drive back home. The next morning we got into the Honda Odyssey for some errands. Within a few minutes he looked over at me and said, "I can't believe it, but I had more room in the Lucid yesterday." I then asked him how the Lucid compared to the Peugeot, a brand noted for comfort. He just laughed.

I mull this over frequently and always end up of a mixed mind.

As I've said, the two most inexplicable things to me are the sorry state of wireless phone charging and front console design in the Air with which I must live as long as I own the car. Then, there is the myriad of issues with software, for which I hold some hope of improvement over time.

As for the other issues that annoy me, my views are more complicated, as most are driven by legitimate imperatives, mostly related to efficiency and thus range: the high rear floorboard, the low roof rails, the thick A-pillars.

But, as I think about it, there have been features in every car I have owned that I wished had been approached differently by the manufacturer. On balance, the Air remains a set of compromises that has yielded the best balance of power, handling, comfort, structural solidity, and style that I have owned thus far.

On Monday I picked up my 6'1" partner at the Miami Airport after a month-long trip to Europe where he drove a Peugeot diesel station wagon throughout. We were in the Air for the two-and-a-half hour drive back home. The next morning we got into the Honda Odyssey for some errands. Within a few minutes he looked over at me and said, "I can't believe it, but I had more room in the Lucid yesterday." I then asked him how the Lucid compared to the Peugeot, a brand noted for comfort. He just laughed.
Right now my pet peeve is that when I go to an ATM, pharmacy or any drive through, I have to open the door to use them. I don't have that issue in any of our other cars. Most other issues will be solved when/if the software is fixed. If didn't have a DE, I would wait a 12-18 months and buy the next high end Lucid, maybe the tri-motor, after they get their production/software issues resolved.

The more that I drive my wife's AMG EQS, the more I appreciate being in a "finished" car but still like a lot about the Lucid.

Right now my pet peeve is that when I go to an ATM, pharmacy or any drive through, I have to open the door to use them. I don't have that issue in any of our other cars. Most other issues will be solved when/if the software is fixed. If didn't have a DE, I would wait a 12-18 months and buy the next high end Lucid, maybe the tri-motor, after they get their production/software issues resolved.

The more that I drive my wife's AMG EQS, the more I appreciate being in a "finished" car but still like a lot about the Lucid.
Why do you need to open the door? Does the front window glass not go down all the way?

I have the same problem with my SL550. It sits so low to the ground you cannot reach up high enough to use a touch screen or a deposit box at the bank. You either have to crawl up on the seat or open the door and reach out the opening.

Why do you need to open the door? Does the front window glass not go down all the way?
The roof line is low and the beltline high so can't stick my head out and reach the ATM or drive through. AMG doesn't have the same issue. My wife has an SL and it is low but the window is larger.

The roof line is low and the beltline high so can't stick my head out and reach the ATM or drive through. AMG doesn't have the same issue. My wife has an SL and it is low but the window is larger.
Gotcha- thanks (was trying to picture it).

In my experience, even very capable and well-rounded mechanical engineers do not understand that the software contained in a complex electromechanical product (car) can require 10x more effort to "complete" than the mechanical part.

Back