Lucid air vs my m5

Taycan too cramped for a family, Lucid has better software and updates OTA. Taycan does not do that. Taycan also has much less efficiency and Range. Taycan wont hold value as well as Lucid because of other Porsche ICE vehicles. Taycan handles slightly better, I give it that. But when you look at the whole picture, it doesn't cut it in my opinion.
All depends what your needs are and expectations.
As I posted previously 2 each their own. Both are great choices.
Resale / depreciation value is absolutely awful on both. There is no winner in that regard.
Low mile used GT’s for under 60K is quite the deal!

Last edited:
Taycan too cramped for a family, Lucid has better software and updates OTA. Taycan does not do that. Taycan also has much less efficiency and Range. Taycan wont hold value as well as Lucid because of other Porsche ICE vehicles. Taycan handles slightly better, I give it that. But when you look at the whole picture, it doesn't cut it in my opinion.

I put 30K miles on my Taycan 4 Cross Truism (had PTV+, RAS, and 21-inch Pirelli summer tires 265/35 fronts and 305/30-21 rears). It does......not handle as well as my GTP.

Plus it's too cramped, doesn't ride as well, seats aren not as comfortable as the Air, didn't get many software updates, and doesn't come close to what DreamDrive Pro is doing now. It really doesn't have anything at all on the Air, but of course it doesn't have 1050 hp either.

Looks are more subjective. Taycan looks good IMO, but so does the Air.

Ex 2001 M5 owner here. (Two M3's as bookends) It's not called The Beast for nothing. Heaviest RWD I can imagine hanging onto the curves my AWD S6 (and the Touring/GT) will just "do."
I only gave up the stickshift when I got into my 2013 S6 with paddle shifters... I'm pretty good / fast on shifts - but nothing keeps up with two clutches and paddles.
No plans to get back on a track any time soon.
I agree with others: It's an EV and therefore VERY different. Put an M5 on 19" all-weather radials and see how well you can make it hang on.

My M5 ate tires and brakes. My S6 did a little better but still burned through pretty big tires. I expect my new GT will do some of the the same -- but all 4 tires and maybe regenerative braking will save discs and pads. If you want to hear an engine growl, find an EV with a great audio package... ;)

Enjoy your next ride!

Manuals are absolutely a dying breed. They are holding value when paired with a proper engine much better than automatics these days.

Yep, traffic sucks with a manual. But I mostly use the car on weekends. The air is the better commuter car, but for fun can’t beat a nice manual with a good engine.

I owned three Audi R8's, all with 6-speed manuals instead of Audi's iffy early manumatic effort: 2008 V8 coupe, 2010 V10 coupe, 2011 V10 Spyder. I absolutely loved those cars and was sure I'd miss the stick shift and the glorious, but different, engine screams of all three when I traded the last one for a 2015 Tesla Model S P90D.

To my surprise, I found so many new things to like about a high-performance EV that I quickly realized EVs would be my driving future: the instant and ferocious torque, the silky whine of motors that called up images of turbines (I'm one of the owners who likes hearing the Lucid front motor doing its thing), regenerative braking (to which I was an instant convert), and the ultra-low center of gravity that could make even a 4-door sedan feel like it was on rails with the right tires and suspension (which the Air Dream has). Then there were the more practical considerations: not having to wait for oil and water to reach operating temperature before really getting into it, not having to check oil levels, leaving gas station stops in the past for local driving . . . .

Today we have a Model S Plaid and an Air Dream Performance. As between the two, the Air is far the better car. But both will keep me from ever considering a return to ICE performance cars. Yeah, I had great times shifting gears and making engines scream, but I'd give up too much else to get those things back.

I owned three Audi R8's, all with 6-speed manuals instead of Audi's iffy early manumatic effort: 2008 V8 coupe, 2010 V10 coupe, 2011 V10 Spyder. I absolutely loved those cars and was sure I'd miss the stick shift and the glorious, but different, engine screams of all three when I traded the last one for a 2015 Tesla Model S P90D.

To my surprise, I found so many new things to like about a high-performance EV that I quickly realized EVs would be my driving future: the instant and ferocious torque, the silky whine of motors that called up images of turbines (I'm one of the owners who likes hearing the Lucid front motor doing its thing), regenerative braking (to which I was an instant convert), and the ultra-low center of gravity that could make even a 4-door sedan feel like it was on rails with the right tires and suspension (which the Air Dream has). Then there were the more practical considerations: not having to wait for oil and water to reach operating temperature before really getting into it, not having to check oil levels, leaving gas station stops in the past for local driving . . . .

Today we have a Model S Plaid and an Air Dream Performance. As between the two, the Air is far the better car. But both will keep me from ever considering a return to ICE performance cars. Yeah, I had great times shifting gears and making engines scream, but I'd give up too much else to get those things back.
Yeah the OP is comparing a RWD Pure to the M5. If he drove a Dream in Sprint mode he might have a greater appreciation for the Lucid EV lineup. The Pure was meant as a basic entry level vehicle and while that is a necessary element for the long term success of the company it is not one that should be benchmarked against performance vehicles.

I had a manual sedan as my previous car, I might be the only one who drive the Air with 'Roll' mode on. I find it somewhat a similar experience then ti hold the brakes at a stop to prevent rolling, and balancing the accelerator, or just to keep the car rolling instead of coming to complete stops if not necessary. It's a different type of engagement; plus, it makes the car feel 2x smoother getting up and moving since it removes the slight grabby service brake from the equation...

Acting like the Pure is some massive departure from the upper level trim Air experience is just pure fallacy :cool: Outside of more range and HP, its the EXACT same car but it weighs considerably more. Unbiased reviews suggest the Pure is actually a better, more balanced sports car than the upper trim levels.

One is completely and totally missing the point of true engagement if you think linear torque, and gobs of it, are what make an engaging driving experience. Someone using performance metrics as the measure of engagement suggests you're not a true enthusiast, rather you just like going fast and leaving ICE cars parked at red lights.

Acting like the Pure is some massive departure from the upper level trim Air experience is just pure fallacy :cool: Outside of more range and HP, its the EXACT same car but it weighs considerably more. Unbiased reviews suggest the Pure is actually a better, more balanced sports car than the upper trim levels.

One is completely and totally missing the point of true engagement if you think linear torque, and gobs of it, are what make an engaging driving experience. Someone using performance metrics as the measure of engagement suggests you're not a true enthusiast, rather you just like going fast and leaving ICE cars parked at red lights.
It was a similar situation with the BMW i4. The rear wheel drive, cheaper iteration of the i4, garnered better reviews for handling and a ‘fun to drive’ quotient than the faster AWD variant. It’s not always just about 0-60 times.

People who think their preferences make them "better" baffle me.

The debate between AWD and RWD has been going on a lot longer than EV vs ICE.

Bottom line: people have their preferences. Neither is better than the other. They are simply different.

BMW enthusiasts tend to be in the RWD camp, since BMW has been known for RWD for a very long time. And their AWD has never been where their heart is.

Audi enthusiasts usually argue for AWD. Not a stretch, given the Quattro branding has been synonymous with Audi for ages.

You take two car experts and ask them which they prefer, you're going to get two different answers. If you didn't, Porsche wouldn't be making the 911 in both variants.

Drive what you like. Don't tell other people what they like makes them somehow lesser. Pretty simple rule to live by.

People who think their preferences make them "better" baffle me.

The debate between AWD and RWD has been going on a lot longer than EV vs ICE.

Bottom line: people have their preferences. Neither is better than the other. They are simply different.

BMW enthusiasts tend to be in the RWD camp, since BMW has been known for RWD for a very long time. And their AWD has never been where their heart is.

Audi enthusiasts usually argue for AWD. Not a stretch, given the Quattro branding has been synonymous with Audi for ages.

You take two car experts and ask them which they prefer, you're going to get two different answers. If you didn't, Porsche wouldn't be making the 911 in both variants.

Drive what you like. Don't tell other people what they like makes them somehow lesser. Pretty simple rule to live by.

I think the comment you're replying to is in response to those saying his car handles like crap because it's RWD. Or.."you really need to drive a Dream Edition to appreciate the handling"

I think you and him are absolutely right. AWD and RWD is mostly a preference. AWD doesn't make a car handle "better"

From "What It's Worth" Department...

All-wheel drive (AWD) and rear-wheel drive (RWD) vehicles have different merits, depending on your driving needs and lifestyle:

• AWD
    AWD vehicles have better traction and stability in various conditions, including mud and off-roading. They also have better handling and acceleration, and are safer because they can better negotiate corners. However, AWD vehicles are heavier than regular cars, which can affect gas mileage and maintenance costs.

• RWD
    RWD vehicles are often more efficient at accelerating, and are a good choice for sports cars and trucks. They also have excellent steering and weight distribution, and are versatile and easy to drive. However, RWD vehicles are more prone to oversteering, especially when taking curves. They also lack sufficient traction control on slick roads and can be dangerous if not driven carefully.

• RWD
    RWD vehicles are often more efficient at accelerating, and are a good choice for sports cars and trucks. They also have excellent steering and weight distribution, and are versatile and easy to drive. However, RWD vehicles are more prone to oversteering, especially when taking curves. They also lack sufficient traction control on slick roads and can be dangerous if not driven carefully.
Not entirely true for RWD EVs like the i4. A low center of gravity brought about by the low mounted batteries together with the heavier weight of EVs, and traction control technology, make them quite safe in less than ideal situations.

Some of your other assertions are also debatable.

Unbiased reviews suggest the Pure is actually a better, more balanced sports car than the upper trim levels.

This is the reason my brother, who finds most Air models too expensive, is thinking about the Pure RWD as the first EV that can tempt him away from Tesla.

Is this why the Mazda Miata I used to blast up and down Mulholland Drive was probably the most outright fun car I ever owned? (And here I was thinking it was the great weather in L.A.)

However, I must confess my excitement at finding myself first in line at a red light in our Air Dream Performance in Sprint mode.

Bottom line: it took me years to realize there are so many ways to enjoy so many different cars.

I think you’d find they drive quite differently from even an RWD ice car due to how it handles the weight. The DE and the RWD Pure handle *immensely* differently, and the power differential does make a difference when comparing to an M5. Imho.

It’s not the horsepower that matters, but how the car is tuned, how the second motor adjusts traction, and so on.

Agreed - but can’t I like both? :)

Not entirely true for RWD EVs like the i4. A low center of gravity brought about by the low mounted batteries together with the heavier weight of EVs, and traction control technology, make them quite safe in less than ideal situations.

Some of your other assertions are also debatable.

Agreed...that post is something you'd get from googling the pros and cons of AWD and RWD. It's far more nuanced than that in modern times.

Back