Lucid air vs my m5

You wouldn’t happen to be in AZ would you? I wouldn’t mind you trying out my DE if you were local. Still think you should look at the taycan. Seems to be the EV for you based off what I’ve read.
Oh man. I would love that. No I’m in MA. I’ve thought about the taycan (would go used for sure). I’m worried about reliability though and costly repairs. Heard some horror stories.

I just road tripped a 2018 488 spider 1261 miles from Salt Lake City through Bryce Canyon, Capital Reef, Moki Dugway, Monument Valley, and finishing in Colorado Springs. I’ve driven some of the same roads in my DE. The Ferrari was much more comfortable than I anticipated. Of course fueling the Ferrari took no planning and charging the DE required pre planning. Both cars were a lot of fun for different reasons.

I don’t agree that the Lucid is unstable or less stable than a M5 at speed and have had both DE and Sapphire over 150.
Comparing the Lucid to the driving experience of a manual is not really a fair comparison.
The E39 M5 manual is considered by many to be peak M5 and is a great car. I don’t compare my Convertible C6 427 manual to the M5 or the Lucid.

I wouldn’t trade the Sapphire for any M5 and especially not the new 5400lbs hybrid.

I highly recommend Utah 12, Utah 163, and if you are not afraid of gravel Utah 261.
Beautiful pics! The sapphire is just too much money. I’ve read amazing things but don’t want to drop over 100k on a car. 100-120k would be my max cap.

Beautiful pics! The sapphire is just too much money. I’ve read amazing things but don’t want to drop over 100k on a car. 100-120k would be my max cap.
I haven’t seen a Sapphire on the secondary market yet. You can definitely get a DE performance for under 100.

I’d take a taycan over all the others mentioned and call it a day. It’s also the best looking car Ice/ EV.

Interesting. I just got rid of my iX for an Air and it’s not even close. There’s nothing at all sporty about the iX. It was the single most boring to drive car I’ve ever owned
We still have our IX, which sits in the garage more than our 1 month old Touring. Both go fast but different drive and feel. Like you I prefer the Air. We had an I4 at one point as well, was not too impressed, great car just not for me.

Too each their own and a great choice. Let us know when the sapphire is in the driveway 👍
Haha no chance I’m buying one over my DE. But if I had a pick? That and a v10 r8, and an Elise.

You say “never.” I say “not yet.” :)

Disagree. But that’s okay - I like the handling of both, and I think the Taycan handles slightly better. To me, the difference is not that significant.

I’m fine with there being other opinions. :)
There’s also a chance that pdcc and rear wheel steering is what makes me feel that way. Both of those options just aren’t available on the lucid.

Likewise though, this is why there are so many cars. Different strokes for different folks!

There’s also a chance that pdcc and rear wheel steering is what makes me feel that way. Both of those options just aren’t available on the lucid.

Likewise though, this is why there are so many cars. Different strokes for different folks!
Most don't realize the Pure RWD is rear-weight biased, its 47/53, which is more like an ICE car with a transaxle. This is why between being very slippery in aero and low-drag and downforce at 100mph its going to be more lively than an M5.

Interesting. I just got rid of my iX for an Air and it’s not even close. There’s nothing at all sporty about the iX. It was the single most boring to drive car I’ve ever owned
OK - the IX50 is larger and not quite as nimble as the Lucid. BUT it is faster off the line - has that classic EV jolt. According to Lucid Motors the air pure rwd is 0-60 in 4.5 seconds . and according to a BMW dealer website the 0-60 for the iX50 is 4.4 And to me and some others I think it could be sub 4. BMW has a way of understating driving specs. It is well known that the iX easily beats the EPA range numbers. . Lucid adds that smoothness as you floor it that BMW doesnt. AND for an audiophile like me the standard sound system in the iX is vastly better than the standard sound system in the Pure. I have owned other SUVs such as the Audi e-tron and Tesla Model X and they dont handle nearly as well as the Bimmer.

Most don't realize the Pure RWD is rear-weight biased, its 47/53, which is more like an ICE car with a transaxle. This is why between being very slippery in aero and low-drag and downforce at 100mph its going to be more lively than an M5.
Makes sense. I haven’t driven a pure only my DE-P, I was just comparing the two cars I own.

This thread has gotten kind of silly. Of course an M5 will have a very different driving experience than a luxury cruising sedan. An EV gives huge sporting benefits like fully linear torque delivery, and lots of it. But the Lucid Air is a large vehicle not a sports car. One of the best road trip vehicles comfort wise of all time. For that class, it is loads of fun to drive. It is what it is. It is not an M5 or a 911. Get over it.

Thanks for being the final and only correct opinion on the topic. 🙄

OK - the IX50 is larger and not quite as nimble as the Lucid. BUT it is faster off the line - has that classic EV jolt. According to Lucid Motors the air pure rwd is 0-60 in 4.5 seconds . and according to a BMW dealer website the 0-60 for the iX50 is 4.4 And to me and some others I think it could be sub 4. BMW has a way of understating driving specs. It is well known that the iX easily beats the EPA range numbers. . Lucid adds that smoothness as you floor it that BMW doesnt. AND for an audiophile like me the standard sound system in the iX is vastly better than the standard sound system in the Pure. I have owned other SUVs such as the Audi e-tron and Tesla Model X and they dont handle nearly as well as the Bimmer.
Yeah, comparing the iX versus the Pure, the iX probably has it in a straight line. I just got a touring, and it's definitely quicker than the iX. My biggest problem with the iX is there's no feel at all for anything. Throttle feels dead, steering is dead, etc. I'm absolutely loving how this Air drives in comparison. So far I think the only thing I miss from the iX is the sound system. My god is that thing amazing.

This thread has gotten kind of silly. Of course an M5 will have a very different driving experience than a luxury cruising sedan. An EV gives huge sporting benefits like fully linear torque delivery, and lots of it. But the Lucid Air is a large vehicle not a sports car. One of the best road trip vehicles comfort wise of all time. For that class, it is loads of fun to drive. It is what it is. It is not an M5
Actually, the two cars are pretty much the same size. The Lucid is 195.9 inches long and the M5 is 199.2" long. The M5 is 74.8" wide and the Lucid is 76.2" wide. Of course, the driving characteristics of an EV and an ICEV are very different. Neither car is a sports car but both profess to provide a premium driving experience.

Last thing I’ll mention, to the poster who said why am I comparing an air to an m5…like someone else said, the air was benchmarked after the beloved e39 m5. Something to keep in mind.
Dude, you need to drive the AGT at minimum. The horsepower difference pluse all wheel drive component while turn that frown upside down and you'll forget about everything BUT the beautiful noise of the M5. I'm a bimmer guy too, have all the classics (e36,e46,e39 Ms, + the future classic i8) and AGT plus my Cayenne are the only non bimmers I own.

Oh man. I would love that. No I’m in MA. I’ve thought about the taycan (would go used for sure). I’m worried about reliability though and costly repairs. Heard some horror stories.

OP you make a good point. I think where you went wrong was getting a RWD Pure. As someone who has owned a lot of BMWs, currently have an M2, and Porsches, and you name it, with EVs, a lot of the enjoyment comes from the acceleration and like someone mentioned above, just breathing on the throttle and just being able to place the car anywhere on the road that you want. When I was shopping for a Lucid, I knew I needed at least a Touring to get the acceleration thrill, because outside of that, I think the handling is pretty boring. It rides well, it handles high speeds well (at least my Touring on 20" PS EV's), but the steering is gigantic like a bus, it has no feel, the cabin just feels too large, you can't place the car at apexes with that huge A pillar, and the seats don't hold you in when cornering aggressively(outside of the sapphire seats).

I don't think driving a DE or anything else will change your mind on the handling. (If anything I think GT and up are too stiffly tuned in Sprint mode). The acceleration FOR SURE will be thrilling and I don't think any ICE cars can compete with EVs in this regard, but like you when my lease is up, i'm looking elsewhere. When I'm looking for a fun drive I'm taking my Type R or my M2. When I just need a quiet, smooth, mindless ride in the morning to drop my kid off at daycare, I take my Lucid.

Taycan drives much better than Lucid. Probably my favorite handling EV, at least with RAS and Sport PASM. But the leases are way too expensive, and depreciation if you buy is also significant. Buying a 2-3 year old CPO car is probably the best way to experience one. And of course it's pretty small and really not meant for family-carrying duty.

I’d take a taycan over all the others mentioned and call it a day. It’s also the best looking car Ice/ EV.
Taycan too cramped for a family, Lucid has better software and updates OTA. Taycan does not do that. Taycan also has much less efficiency and Range. Taycan wont hold value as well as Lucid because of other Porsche ICE vehicles. Taycan handles slightly better, I give it that. But when you look at the whole picture, it doesn't cut it in my opinion.

Back