Lucid air vs my m5

I have had my Lucid Air Pure for a week now. From what I have heard, the Air is meant to replicate the Mercedes S Class experience. NOT the BMW experience. So the Air, for an EV, has quite slow and smooth acceleration and looks/handles more like a Mercedes than a Bimmer. Before you give up on EVs let me suggest to try driving the BMW i4 or i5. I used to own an i4 and it was much faster than an Air and handled better. I've been driving EVs for years now and find virtually all ICE cars too slow. Quick EV acceleration is fun for accelerating real fast, but is also quite handy in passing slower cars, and also bikes, on streets and highway. Makes passing a breeze. I also have a BMW iX and it is sportier than the Lucid Air and handles fairly good.
Interesting. I just got rid of my iX for an Air and it’s not even close. There’s nothing at all sporty about the iX. It was the single most boring to drive car I’ve ever owned

Yeah I didn't realize the OP was driving a RWD Pure. My observations are based on my Dream P, the track session in the GTP, and my experiences with the loaners which have been GT's and Tourings. I didn't really press the Touring model so again I can't comment accurately on that version of the Air and I've never driven or ridden in a Pure version. But as Borski said my Dream P is definitely on par with some of the best handling cars I've ever driven and easily the best sedan I've ever driven.

That is not the case in my DE. I can send that thing into turns, at speed, and it just plants. A bit of understeer at significant speed on a real curve, but not super significant. I can’t speak to other trims as I have not driven them nearly as hard.

The M5 is a great car, and I love a good manual ICE engine too. It may just be that EVs are not for you, or that you have to accept that they are a *different* appreciation. For example, I can absolutely do things with my DE I couldn’t do with an M5; select a spot on the highway and I can plant my car there in less than a breath. I can do that in an M5, but it makes sure everyone in the car *and* around me knows about it. That’s fine if I’m in the mood, but sometimes I just want to change lanes without the drama, you know?

In my perfect world, my garage has a few EVs and a few great fun ICE cars.

Just different. Not better or worse, imho. I wanna see Lucid built a two-motor *roadster* or midsize, and then play. The Air just ain’t meant for that as much as a different car.

That it can still rip it on a track *and* perform as a luxury sedan is kind of the point, but the thing will still never be a Lotus Elise, you know?

But compared to any sedan that size on the road? For my money there isn’t a single car that can match it; the Taycan arguably handles a little better, but at the expense of like half the cargo space. The Air was meant as, and is, sort of the best of both worlds, and it nearly accomplished making that *literally* true.
And that's why I chose it as my DD and have put 46k miles on it in a year and a half. Although I still have my dad's 2006 BMW M3 E46 Convertible sitting in front of the house.

You really thought you were leasing a E-M5? It's news to you that BEV's are not even close to the soul stirring experience of a V8 manual sedan (I have a CT5-V Blackwing manual, so I speak your language). I think your issue is more of unrealistic expectations. One short test drive should have made it clear this is a excellent driving luxury car, not a sports sedan. Benchmarking doesn't mean copy, it just means they used it as a comparison (which can even mean characteristics to avoid). The fact that you're getting feedback about what the car is doing "at over 100mph" is evidence of this benchmarking.

That is not the case in my DE. I can send that thing into turns, at speed, and it just plants. A bit of understeer at significant speed on a real curve, but not super significant. I can’t speak to other trims as I have not driven them nearly as hard.

The M5 is a great car, and I love a good manual ICE engine too. It may just be that EVs are not for you, or that you have to accept that they are a *different* appreciation. For example, I can absolutely do things with my DE I couldn’t do with an M5; select a spot on the highway and I can plant my car there in less than a breath. I can do that in an M5, but it makes sure everyone in the car *and* around me knows about it. That’s fine if I’m in the mood, but sometimes I just want to change lanes without the drama, you know?

Just different. Not better or worse, imho. I wanna see Lucid built a two-motor *roadster* or midsize, and then play. The Air just ain’t meant for that as much as a different car.

That it can still rip it on a track *and* perform as a luxury sedan is kind of the point, but the thing will still never be a Lotus Elise, you know?

But compared to any sedan that size on the road? For my money there isn’t a single car that can match it; the Taycan arguably handles a little better, but at the expense of like half the cargo space. The Air was meant as, and is, sort of the best of both worlds, and it nearly accomplished making that *literally* true.
Perfectly said, I am a long time corvette guy own two currently. This is my first EV loving it so far.
Guess for me, best of both worlds. However, anything over 120 I would rather be in my vett, the thrill is just exhilarating lol.
Btw love all the comments on this site, very civil.

All good comments. Yes it’s the pure rwd with the larger wheels not a GT. I can’t point to anything wrong with the car. Sure it may not handle like an M car at speeds but that’s a high bar to set. Again, I’m finding I like the car but don’t love it. It doesn’t evoke the driving pleasure I’ve come to love from ICE cars with good engines.

The comment about having some good ice cars and an EV is interesting. We have 2 drivers (just my wife and I, kids aren’t of driving age yet) and we have 4 cars. One would have to go but I love the other 3. So that’s a dilemma I guess. If the next x5 comes as a PHEV (once it’s updated completely next year), I may get that as a bridge and trade in the G05 x5.

You really thought you were leasing a E-M5? It's news to you that BEV's are not even close to the soul stirring experience of a V8 manual sedan (I have a CT5-V Blackwing manual, so I speak your language). I think your issue is more of unrealistic expectations. One short test drive should have made it clear this is an excellent driving luxury car, not a sports sedan. Benchmarking doesn't mean copy, it just means they used it as a comparison (which can even mean characteristics to avoid). The fact that you're getting feedback about what the car is doing "at over 100mph" is evidence of this benchmarking.
Yea, this is fair and well said. I am a huge car enthusiast and EVs are tough for my type of crowd.

Honestly, on the test drive I was blown away. Why I bought it. You can’t take the car to 100 plus though. Around town it handles very well around corners etc. The pure rwd becomes a little jittery at high speeds and doesn’t evoke the same confidence I’m used too. Would love to get a DE at those speeds to compare. I don’t think the suspension is that different though between the models. Maybe I’m wrong.

I don't disagree. I love my Air Touring, but I also just order a BMW M2 with a 6-speed manual. I've been all EV for 4 years now, but I really miss an ICE sports car.

When our Touring lease is up in April, I will likely lease the Gravity as I still love Lucid's products, and believe they are the best EV on the market. But there will always be a place for ICE sports cars for many of us.

I told my wife I'd like to build a small collection of ICE sports cars over the next 10 years before I retire to keep them as my long time collectables. Starting with the M2.

I will be interested to see what some of the first true EV sports cars are like. The Porsche Boxster/Cayman EV will likely be the first.

All good comments. Yes it’s the pure rwd with the larger wheels not a GT. I can’t point to anything wrong with the car. Sure it may not handle like an M car at speeds but that’s a high bar to set. Again, I’m finding I like the car but don’t love it. It doesn’t evoke the driving pleasure I’ve come to love from ICE cars with good engines.

The comment about having some good ice cars and an EV is interesting. We have 2 drivers (just my wife and I, kids aren’t of driving age yet) and we have 4 cars. One would have to go but I love the other 3. So that’s a dilemma I guess. If the next x5 comes as a PHEV (once it’s updated completely next year), I may get that as a bridge and trade in the G05

I’ve had my lucid air now for 6.5 months. I’ve put over 7,000 miles on it already. At first I loved the car. Now I like it, but I don’t love it.

Why? My other cars all bmws. I have an f10 m5 with manual transmission. After not driving that car for a while, I took it out again. What I realized is that the lucid is boring. It’s fast, handles ok and is comfy. It’s more of a luxury cruiser. Compared to the m5, it’s just a totally different experience. The sound of the v8, the shifts, the noises it makes on downshifts with the manual, the stability at speeds over 100 and handling at that speed simply can’t be matched by the air. I don’t look forward to driving the air anymore. It’s become boring in just over 6 months. I’ve had the m5 for 12 years and every time I get it, I still can’t wait to start it up and drive it. I lost that feeling with the lucid after just 6 months.

I don’t think it’s an air thing, it’s more of an EV thing. The driving experience is more suited to luxury and comfort than raw sportiness. The air is a great car and for those wanting an efficient and economical EV, it’s hard to beat. I just realized I don’t enjoy driving EVs.

Handling wise, the air is ok at speeds above 100. But try to do a fast maneuver at those speeds, and the suspension becomes frizzled. It may be the skinny tires. Whatever the case, the m5 behaves way better at those speeds when you arw forced to do quick maneuvers or apply brakes hard at that speed. It’s really no comparison.

At this point, I’m actually looking forward to my lease expiring. I’ll be giving the car back for sure. I also won’t be buying another EV until I’m forced too!

Again, the air is a great car. I simply prefer ice cars with fantastic engines over EVs and now that I know just how much more I prefer ice cars with strong engines, I’m not going to EV until I absolutely must.
For me, its the opposite. I keep looking at ICE cars and can't get myself to buy century old technology.

I've had many sporty ICE cars in the past. But now gone past that old technology. The noise, the vibration, gas fumes that you inhale, no updates to the cars software. I can understand why some people prefer ICE, old habits die hard. But I prefer the EV's- a perfect combination of performace and comfort. I can shoot past any ICE car in a second when light turns green, or join a highway comfortably. Even a Ferrari will struggle to keep up...at the same time can have a relaxing cruise when I want.

EV's are heavier, and agree, handling may not be as tight, but unless you track, you don't need that. In fact, the lower center of gravity, makes handling pretty impressive for such a heavy car.

For me, its the opposite. I keep looking at ICE cars and can't get myself to buy century old technology.

I've had many sporty ICE cars in the past. But now gone past that old technology. The noise, the vibration, gas fumes that you inhale, no updates to the cars software. I can understand why some people prefer ICE, old habits die hard. But I prefer the EV's- a perfect combination of performace and comfort. I can shoot past any ICE car in a second when light turns green, or join a highway comfortably. Even a Ferrari will struggle to keep up...at the same time can have a relaxing cruise when I want.

EV's are heavier, and agree, handling may not be as tight, but unless you track, you don't need that. In fact, the lower center of gravity, makes handling pretty impressive for such a heavy car.
It’s not century old tech. The new engines and transmissions (bmw and Porsche in particular) are fantastic. Drive an m340 and you will see it’s not old tech, it’s perfection in my opinion. You also get 25-27 mpg and once free charging is up, here in MA you pay $35 at home or $65 at a fast charging station. Not as much savings there as those who don’t know would expect at all.

This is why EV values tank hard. It’s hard to beat the perfection some of these brands are famous for.

Also, the tech of referring to electronics and screens etc, is way better in modern BMWs and porches. I’m not talking battery tech, I’m talking electrons tech.

I understand the OP’s view - best case is to have them all. 😜. I have a forever car (911 turbo cab 6 speed), and ideal daily (Cayenne GTS), and an EV (Model S Plaid) - all bought pre-owned after the first owners took the depreciation. My wife drives a huge SUV and always has, so I feel like our garage is complete. I thought my 911 was fast (it’s tuned), but good god the Plaid makes it feel like a pedal car. However, the 911 stirs things in me that the Plaid just can’t. The Cayenne if also totally different - it feels like a very tall base 911 to me, and is very functional. The Plaid is like driving a video game - super entertaining but also synthetic. I really couldn’t afford a Sapphire or even a GT (at the time I bought my Plaid - used), but I think a GT would be perfect in that space, as long as that is where I slot it in my head and keep my expectations in line.

Ex
I understand the OP’s view - best case is to have them all. 😜. I have a forever car (911 turbo cab 6 speed), and ideal daily (Cayenne GTS), and an EV (Model S Plaid) - all bought pre-owned after the first owners took the depreciation. My wife drives a huge SUV and always has, so I feel like our garage is complete. I thought my 911 was fast (it’s tuned), but good god the Plaid makes it feel like a pedal car. However, the 911 stirs things in me that the Plaid just can’t. The Cayenne if also totally different - it feels like a very tall base 911 to me, and is very functional. The Plaid is like driving a video game - super entertaining but also synthetic. I really couldn’t afford a Sapphire or even a GT (at the time I bought my Plaid - used), but I think a GT would be perfect in that space, as long as that is where I slot it in my head and keep my expectations in line.
that’s a perfect garage. Never sell the 911 6 speed. I had one and cry to this day that I sold it. It was a 997 6 speed :(. I need to get that car back. May sell the m5 for it. Wouldn’t miss the m5 with that car back in possession.

As others have said, most enthusiasts will retain an ICE for fun, road trips, and other situations where BEV is not practical or ideal. EV's are great when used appropriately (commuting, errands, day trips, etc.) but at least for me, they will never be a full replacement for ICE. Not by the metrics, but for the intangibles that a proper ICE sports car offers.

I agree with this mostly but the taycan handles much better. It’s not all that close. Still not a better EV overall but the one thing that the Taycan can do better than any other EV is handle. I find myself driving the Taycan 75% of the time because of the handling and fun factor. Oh that and the AC is night and day. I think OP should try the Taycan with PDC and sports package before he gives up on EVs. And at the current used gen 1 taycan prices, it’s worth it.

Yep, traffic sucks with a manual. But I mostly use the car on weekends. The air is the better commuter car, but for fun can’t beat a nice manual with a good engine.
That is the perfect solution. An AT Lucid for daily use and something like an M2 for the weekend.

Yea, this is fair and well said. I am a huge car enthusiast and EVs are tough for my type of crowd.

Honestly, on the test drive I was blown away. Why I bought it. You can’t take the car to 100 plus though. Around town it handles very well around corners etc. The pure rwd becomes a little jittery at high speeds and doesn’t evoke the same confidence I’m used too. Would love to get a DE at those speeds to compare. I don’t think the suspension is that different though between the models. Maybe I’m wrong.
You wouldn’t happen to be in AZ would you? I wouldn’t mind you trying out my DE if you were local. Still think you should look at the taycan. Seems to be the EV for you based off what I’ve read.

As others have said, most enthusiasts will retain an ICE for fun, road trips, and other situations where BEV is not practical or ideal. EV's are great when used appropriately (commuting, errands, day trips, etc.) but at least for me, they will never be a full replacement for ICE. Not by the metrics, but for the intangibles that a proper ICE sports car offers.
I just road tripped a 2018 488 spider 1261 miles from Salt Lake City through Bryce Canyon, Capital Reef, Moki Dugway, Monument Valley, and finishing in Colorado Springs. I’ve driven some of the same roads in my DE. The Ferrari was much more comfortable than I anticipated. Of course fueling the Ferrari took no planning and charging the DE required pre planning. Both cars were a lot of fun for different reasons.

I don’t agree that the Lucid is unstable or less stable than a M5 at speed and have had both DE and Sapphire over 150.
Comparing the Lucid to the driving experience of a manual is not really a fair comparison.
The E39 M5 manual is considered by many to be peak M5 and is a great car. I don’t compare my Convertible C6 427 manual to the M5 or the Lucid.

I wouldn’t trade the Sapphire for any M5 and especially not the new 5400lbs hybrid.

I highly recommend Utah 12, Utah 163, and if you are not afraid of gravel Utah 261.

Attachments

• IMG_3561.webp
    IMG_3561.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3572.webp
    IMG_3572.webp
    2 MB · Views: 4,829
  • IMG_3587.webp
    IMG_3587.webp
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2587.webp
    IMG_2587.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
Would love to get a DE at those speeds to compare. I don’t think the suspension is that different though between the models. Maybe I’m wrong.
Yes it’s the pure rwd with the larger wheels not a GT.
If you’re ever in the Bay Area, lmk.

You say “never.” I say “not yet.” :)

I agree with this mostly but the taycan handles much better. It’s not all that close. Still not a better EV overall but the one thing that the Taycan can do better than any other EV is handle. I find myself driving the Taycan 75% of the time because of the handling and fun factor. Oh that and the AC is night and day. I think OP should try the Taycan with PDC and sports package before he gives up on EVs. And at the current used gen 1 taycan prices, it’s worth it.
Disagree. But that’s okay - I like the handling of both, and I think the Taycan handles slightly better. To me, the difference is not that significant.

I’m fine with there being other opinions. :)

Back