Lucid Air vs…Bentley Flying Spur??

Mountain Man

Cars
Lucid Air Dream P
D054E8F1-A493-471F-8F3D-CBDEBB759E46.jpeg

Ok, this comparison is not exactly apples to apples, but I found it quite enlightening so I wanted to share. I have long wanted.
a Bentley Flying Spur, and now that I have had my Lucid Air DE a few months, I started wondering if I should sell it, reap a $50k profit, and get a Bentley. Dealer gave me a car for the day and it was VERY educational.

The Bentley is fast for a gasoline car, but nowhere near the Air. And having to deal with transmission shift-downs is horrific, no matter how smooth it is. The Bentley is quiet and luxurious, but not quieter than the Air. The ride is smooth, but compared to the Air it Drives like a land yacht, rolling through corners. The Air is very very solid and stiff and rattle-free. The huge Bentley couldn’t help shuddering over bumps, although it was whisper-quiet on smooth highways. Stomp the pedal and the Air accelerates brutally, scary, instantaneously, throwing your head back and making you dizzy and causing your passenger to laugh violently…the Bentley is pretty fast, but only gets going after the delay while the transmission figures out what you want it to do. The Air has solid brakes and controls very well, while the Bentley’s brakes feel like they’re struggling to stop a train going downhill. And to make us all feel a little better: This $350,000 Bentley’s software is not really any better than Lucid’s…it had delays for navigation and I couldn’t figure out an easy way to change the radio station. The Bentley’s B&O sound system is not as precise-sounding as the Air’s. The Bentley’s seat massagers are not nearly as good as the Lucid’s (but the Bentley seats are far softer and more coddling). The Bentley has this huge long hood stretching way out into the next zip code…the Lucid hood slopes off and gives you a sudden and unobstructed view of the world before you. After ripping around at full-bore for 10 minutes, the Bentley came back stinking of burning brakes and oil. The same blast around in the Lucid, at far greater accelerating and braking efforts, created no drama at all. Under general normal driving conditions, just cruising at 35 mph on city streets, they’re about the same in terms of smooth ride and quietness…except the Bentley feels the size of two Airs.

The big Bentley gets a 10/10 by Car & Driver and is considered the pinnacle of luxury. The Lucid is just as luxurious to me, but in a more Scandinavian way. It is faster, just as quiet, and feels far tidier. The Lucid is a nice roller coaster ride - the Bentley is a nice coddling cigar room.

Attachments

• 0DC089D3-71FB-4743-A65F-D7493D6CCA25.jpeg
    0DC089D3-71FB-4743-A65F-D7493D6CCA25.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 128
View attachment 2488

Ok, this comparison is not exactly apples to apples, but I found it quite enlightening so I wanted to share. I have long wanted.
a Bentley Flying Spur, and now that I have had my Lucid Air DE a few months, I started wondering if I should sell it, reap a $50k profit, and get a Bentley. Dealer gave me a car for the day and it was VERY educational.

The Bentley is fast for a gasoline car, but nowhere near the Air. And having to deal with transmission shift-downs is horrific, no matter how smooth it is. The Bentley is quiet and luxurious, but not quieter than the Air. The ride is smooth, but compared to the Air it Drives like a land yacht, rolling through corners. The Air is very very solid and stiff and rattle-free. The huge Bentley couldn’t help shuddering over bumps, although it was whisper-quiet on smooth highways. Stomp the pedal and the Air accelerates brutally, scary, instantaneously, throwing your head back and making you dizzy and causing your passenger to laugh violently…the Bentley is pretty fast, but only gets going after the delay while the transmission figures out what you want it to do. The Air has solid brakes and controls very well, while the Bentley’s brakes feel like they’re struggling to stop a train going downhill. And to make us all feel a little better: This $350,000 Bentley’s software is not really any better than Lucid’s…it had delays for navigation and I couldn’t figure out an easy way to change the radio station. The Bentley’s B&O sound system is not as precise-sounding as the Air’s. The Bentley’s seat massagers are not nearly as good as the Lucid’s (but the Bentley seats are far softer and more coddling). The Bentley has this huge long hood stretching way out into the next zip code…the Lucid hood slopes off and gives you a sudden and unobstructed view of the world before you. After ripping around at full-bore for 10 minutes, the Bentley came back stinking of burning brakes and oil. The same blast around in the Lucid, at far greater accelerating and braking efforts, created no drama at all. Under general normal driving conditions, just cruising at 35 mph on city streets, they’re about the same in terms of smooth ride and quietness…except the Bentley feels the size of two Airs.

The big Bentley gets a 10/10 by Car & Driver and is considered the pinnacle of luxury. The Lucid is just as luxurious to me, but in a more Scandinavian way. It is faster, just as quiet, and feels far tidier. The Lucid is a nice roller coaster ride - the Bentley is a nice coddling cigar room.
Did you reciprocate and offer them your DE for a day to show them what they are missing?

View attachment 2488

It’s great to have this perspective. It sounds like the Bentley is built to make the owner feel special, whereas the Lucid is built to make the owner feel they’re in control of their own experience. Who needs cozy butt pillows and polished mahogany at 13mpg when you can make normally understeer nightmare corners on a back road into a nearly straight line in sprint mode and still end up with 400 + of range?

Last edited:
Funny, I was just thinking of the Continental GT yesterday. It's six inches shorter than the Air and a nice drive. Always wanted one of those but bought a Maserati convertible instead as a daily driver. A few days later I was stuck commuting in rush hour traffic between a garbage truck and a rusted-out camouflage-painted Suburban. The garbage truck's and Suburban's tires were more or less at my eye level. I thought life would be better if I bought a nicer, more exciting car. Maybe I was doing it wrong.

Last edited:
Funny, I was just thinking of the Continental GT yesterday. It's six inches shorter than the Air and a nice drive. Always wanted one of those but bought a Maserati convertible instead as a daily driver. A few days later I was stuck commuting in rush hour traffic between a garbage truck and a rusted-out camouflage-painted Suburban. The garbage truck's and Suburban's tires were more or less at my eye level. I thought life would be better if I bought a nicer, more exciting car. Maybe I was doing it wrong.

No problem. The Maserati will be in the shop soon so you can explore others.

Actually it was pretty reliable. I kept it for twelve years, daily driving it for most of that time. A lot of fun but I don't want any more ICE vehicles - the Maser was a pretty good way to go out.

Last edited:
I had a 2008 Quattroporte. Drove it about 35k miles. Solid as a rock, never had to go back to the dealer for any problems. It was "Grigio" exterior, similar to my grey GT on order. Loved the car.

Actually it was pretty reliable. I kept it for twelve years, daily driving it for most of that time. A lot of fun but I don't want any more ICE vehicles - the Maser was a pretty good way to go out.
Yes. This. I wonder how many of us have come to this? My pretty good way to go out was an R129 V12. Loved the car ... beautiful to look at from any angle (a butt to die for), reliable daily driver for years. Nothing better than cruising with your sweetheart, top down (innuendo intended), out in PA Deutsche hills and dales. Morally couldn't rationalize ICE cars (especially V12s / biturbo 8's).
100% agree with Deane's view.
20211203_160352.jpg
bye by my loves

Chorus: "...there's a new kid in town..."
PXL_20220930_001839384.jpg

Looks like we have about 7 years to stop dumping carbon into the atmosphere. I don't see any chance we'll do anything to change
= it's game over for human civilization. So party like it's ... over.

Must be more here who had / are having a last hurrah with ICE cars ? Tell us what your last ICE car is...the one you drive to extinction.

Yes. This. I wonder how many of us have come to this? My pretty good way to go out was an R129 V12. Loved the car ... beautiful to look at from any angle (a butt to die for), reliable daily driver for years. Nothing better than cruising with your sweetheart, top down (innuendo intended), out in PA Deutsche hills and dales. Morally couldn't rationalize ICE cars (especially V12s / biturbo 8's).
View attachment 10493bye by my loves

View attachment 10494

Looks like we have about 7 years to stop dumping carbon into the atmosphere. I don't see any chance we'll do anything to change

Must be more here who had / are having a last hurrah with ICE cars ? Tell us what your last ICE car is...the one you drive to extinction.
The wagon.

View attachment 10493bye by my loves

View attachment 10494

9mpg of V12 6-speed bliss!
4730E921-52C2-4719-B20D-501DCD480557.jpeg

Must be the plug-in hybrid version, as I see the extension cord going into the trunk. Hey, buddy, those plates are expired!
I kept it on a battery tender once I started driving EVs most of the time! Sold that beautiful little monster four or five years ago. It was my final ICE car :)

Bobby I can hear it ... sweet music. Swooning I am.
Deane .... ditto

looking for that top gear episode where the lads take the Audi R10, Aston, Ferrari into the tunnel ... for the distinctive exhaust notes ...
it's not fair because to hear them in person is ....

Yes = ctec tender on just the way Deane has it. only an idiot would try to drive SL600 when it's cold. (love the joke Dave)

My dream when I become 18 is to obtain a 850csi v12 or a db9. They go for around 30k used in my area.
As with any older car, always buy the lowest mileage and best maintained/documented example you can find. Mine is a 2006 because I wanted the very rare 6-speed manual transmission. I drive it very little, currently only 10k miles!!

My dream when I become 18 is to obtain a 850csi v12 or a db9. They go for around 30k used in my area.
You can get a great deal on older serial-production exotics. I sold my perfect 11-year-old Maserati for 20% of what I paid for it new. Just be very patient and wait for a well maintained, unmodified example to come along.

Back