Lucid Air replacement parts - where to buy?

rodmas

Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Hello all,

I have a question - is there any channel from Lucid (or an aftermarket alternative) to buy Lucid Air replacement parts? I am wondering if it is possible just to get a part (if needed) for replacement. For example, if I am just too far from a service center and the part is easy to replace… or if I have a minor accident and need a part to be easily replaced by a third party… thanks!

Hello all,

I have a question - is there any channel from Lucid (or an aftermarket alternative) to buy Lucid Air replacement parts? I am wondering if it is possible just to get a part (if needed) for replacement. For example, if I am just too far from a service center and the part is easy to replace… or if I have a minor accident and need a part to be easily replaced by a third party… thanks!
At the moment they can only be ordered from Lucid service, but they can ship some parts.

I don’t think there are any parts that are easy to replace, except perhaps the wipers. I asked about how to get to the cabin air filters when I picked up my car and the service center employees said “are you sure you want to do that?” It sounded like they needed to take the whole car apart to access them.

Lucid will sell certain minor parts to owners but will not sell any part related to the structure, suspension, or electrical systems of the car to any party other than a Lucid-certified repair facility. These facilities send personnel to Lucid HQ in California for training on how to work on the cars.

For example, they sold me a pair of rubber airfoils for the front wheels to keep on hand, as I've knocked a couple off and can easily replace them myself if I don't want to wait for a mobile service visit. However, one of the reasons my wrecked car had to be trailered across the state to a Lucid-certified body shop is that Lucid will not sell the necessary components to a non-certified shop, even one in the insurance company network.

It will happen, you just need to be patient. For example, Bilstein provides the shocks for the Air. I be they will offer replacement shocks at some point in the future.

It will happen, you just need to be patient. For example, Bilstein provides the shocks for the Air. I be they will offer replacement shocks at some point in the future.

I think there are two separate issues: getting a part and installing it. Even if an owner can procure a part, there is a lot to know about how to install it properly in a car with so many components tied into electronic control systems.

Even a Bilstein damper is connected to the Air's electronic suspension management system, and one needs to know how to verify the replaced component is properly functioning with that system after replacement.

There is very little beyond tire changes and wheel alignment that I would trust myself or anyone other than a Lucid-trained tech to tamper with on my Lucid -- and after watching the Sandy Munro video on Lucid's highly sophisticated suspension, I'm not even sure about wheel alignment.

Don't worry, repair manuals will come out. Knowledge will spread.

Unless there is a calibration procedure that is necessary, most of these components are plug and play. I'm no expert but I've played around with enough electrical stuff on cars to know, even when you christmas tree a dashboard, you can just undo what you did and power cycle the car and it 99% of the time its fine. It's really only if you brick something, that you have an issue. Trust me, Lucid doesn't want you to visit a service center every time and electrical sensor gets unplugged and plugged back in, they want the car to be able to just work when electrical components are replaced.

Calibration might be more difficult because you might need to put the system into calibration mode, which might require the car to be put into a special mode. But diagnostic companies eventually figure this stuff out or tools get leaked and reverse engineered.

Trust me, Lucid doesn't want you to visit a service center every time and electrical sensor gets unplugged and plugged back in, they want the car to be able to just work when electrical components are replaced.

That day may come, but they certainly are nowhere close right now.

Lucid's Manager of Body Repair Program Operations (they have such a group) told me that one of the problems they are facing is with shops thinking that EVs are just ICE cars with electric motors instead of gas engines. He told me that many of the shops that originally were working on Teslas have pulled away from that business as they have found out how fundamentally different Teslas are. And he tells me that Lucid is even more evolved away from the ICE model in the way it is built and its components work than is Tesla.

Lucid's position right now is that they don't want anyone other than Lucid-trained personnel attempting any work on these cars other than the most superficial -- tire changing, dent removals, etc. Even something as seemingly simple as replacing the lighted "LUCID" logo requires removal of the bumper, which in turn requires recalibration of the lidar unit, which can only be done in a Lucid Service Center, as even Lucid-certified body shops don't have the equipment.

In fact, some body shops have called Customer Service in an attempt to procure parts. Customer Service personnel have been instructed not to sell the parts and to refer all such calls to Body Repair Program Operations.

And, even after a Lucid is worked on in a Lucid-certified body shop, Lucid requires that the car be sent to a Lucid Service Center for final examination of the electrical and electronic systems before return to the owner and continuation of the warranty.

For people wanting to work on their cars themselves, Lucid probably isn't the right car for them at this point -- and won't be for quite a while, if ever.

Back