Lucid Air GT cross country trip LIVE

Why is it the best?

I've charged in eight states, EA chargers until this one were in some remote part of a parking lot and mostly Wal-Mart. This restaurant was very nice!
20220705_133158.jpg

20220705_125645.jpg

20220705_131501.jpg

20220705_131448.jpg

Food was very good and by the look of the menu, dinners are better than my lunch.

ffgrill.com don't know history but I'd be dropping there again on purpose of I'm going through junction of I-57 and I-70

Got home today around 5:20 eastern time! Total miles since Millbrae 3,105.

3.4 mi/kWh

Trip report tomorrow.

The 3,105-mile Lucid Air GT cross country Drive Summary

After 9 days of driving on average 6 hours per day I have to say I am very impressed with the Lucid Air. Each day when I arrived at each hotel, I was not sore or fatigued. I have never driven this long or this far before to make a comparison but all other cars I have owned over the years I cannot say I arrived feeling this well. So overall averaged 3.4mi/kWh. Out west the car handled the mountains and hills superbly, a little too well I might say since my wife and daughter both got car sick. The car is quick and extremely well planted. If I were to do the first three days of the trip over, they may be a little better since I have gotten better at 1 pedal driving. Visibility, I never felt I couldn’t see all around the car even without use of the signal cameras. I used the tilt visor method by @CraZ8 all the way. Out in the deserts of California, Nevada, Arizona and Utah the sun was really hot on my head when the car was stopped or was driving slower than 30mph, once up to speed the A/C worked and sometimes was too cold. I must see what happens now that I am home but out there and coming home the fans never really spooled down in AUTO. Millbrae didn’t deliver the car with the most current version of the software. I didn’t get a chance to update until I was in Topeka, KS. The new Nav software is far better and would have made the first days of the trip better. I have no complaints about the car mechanically or from a hardware perspective. After dropping off my wife and daughter in Denver to fly home I got a chance to really test out sound system. As mentioned here on the forum it is a very good sounding system. Anyone, know who makes the speakers? PM me if you know. I feel it needs a numerical value attached to the volume level and/or speed sensitive control. I am highly disappointed that my Astell & Kern DAP did not connect. My Samsung Galaxy connected but I was unable to display any other data than the track title and artist.
Things that I noticed unrelated to the car was how the landscape and drivers changed as I went farther and farther east. The speeds limits slowly dropped, people became more aggressive behind the wheel and more often people drove slow in the left lane. Also, the amount of semi dramatically increased once I got into eastern Kansas.
I only had one issue with the car, during the journey, and that was about 50 miles to go to Williams, AZ the turn signal cameras went out. I never had an issue charging. I came close to having an issue in Flagstaff when all, but one charger was unavailable. The only other potential charging issue was when I reached Bluff, UT. Although the ChargePoint there was free, I needed the app to get it to work. I had no cell signal at the charger so while walking down the road to see if the RV restaurant was open for lunch, I received a text so stopped walking and downloaded the app. Problem solved. Over the journey saw THREE Ioniq 5. Other cars seen at chargers, Kia Ev6, VW ID.4, and a Taycan.
After arriving home, my key fob stopped working. I had posted earlier that the car wouldn’t lock when I walked away. It just gave up the ghost once home. I am using the second key fob and things are back to normal. The RV Outlet box works great, and the Lucid charger cable is long enough to reach the car in the center of garage.
20220705_211453.jpg

20220705_211507.jpg
Software, as many have stated is where room for improvement lies. 1.2.6 is an improvement, what I needed early on was ability to continue planned trip to destination instead of having to reinput. What is still needed is better default zoom levels on mostly the pilot panel. When selecting 2D up the map level is almost a duplicate of what’s above. For city driving the default level for 3D up on the right-hand screen is OK, but for highway driving needs to show about 2 miles ahead. As I had mentioned earlier in this thread navigation does not warn you if destination is on the current road just 1,000 feet and “arrived.” Nav. Voice says slight right when making a 90 turn. Also, we say I-four-seventy and not I-four-hundred-seventy.” When driving in St. Louis, Clayton area with tall buildings the GPS got all screwy. So, antenna needs strong uninterrupted signal to work. Shot a video that I plan to send to Lucid. Software can be fixed, hardware cannot, well cheaply. Overall, I highly recommend the car and it does well to carry 3 people their stuff efficiently on a road trip.

PAID $0.00 to charge!!!

The only other potential charging issue was when I reached Bluff, UT. Although the ChargePoint there was free, I needed the app to get it to work. I had no cell signal at the charger so while walking down the road to see if the RV restaurant was open for lunch, I received a text so stopped walking and downloaded the app. Problem solved. Over the journey saw THREE Ioniq 5. Other cars seen at chargers, Kia Ev6, VW ID.4, and a Taycan.
yes. That is something one should do before trips - download charging network apps as well as PlugShare. Also should go ahead and make an account with the different networks as well. It just makes life easier and prevents the situation you describe.

After 9 days of driving on average 6 hours per day I have to say I am very impressed with the Lucid Air. Each day when I arrived at each hotel, I was not sore or fatigued. I have never driven this long or this far before to make a comparison but all other cars I have owned over the years I cannot say I arrived feeling this well. So overall averaged 3.4mi/kWh. Out west the car handled the mountains and hills superbly, a little too well I might say since my wife and daughter both got car sick. The car is quick and extremely well planted. If I were to do the first three days of the trip over, they may be a little better since I have gotten better at 1 pedal driving. Visibility, I never felt I couldn’t see all around the car even without use of the signal cameras. I used the tilt visor method by @CraZ8 all the way. Out in the deserts of California, Nevada, Arizona and Utah the sun was really hot on my head when the car was stopped or was driving slower than 30mph, once up to speed the A/C worked and sometimes was too cold. I must see what happens now that I am home but out there and coming home the fans never really spooled down in AUTO. Millbrae didn’t deliver the car with the most current version of the software. I didn’t get a chance to update until I was in Topeka, KS. The new Nav software is far better and would have made the first days of the trip better. I have no complaints about the car mechanically or from a hardware perspective. After dropping off my wife and daughter in Denver to fly home I got a chance to really test out sound system. As mentioned here on the forum it is a very good sounding system. Anyone, know who makes the speakers? PM me if you know. I feel it needs a numerical value attached to the volume level and/or speed sensitive control. I am highly disappointed that my Astell & Kern DAP did not connect. My Samsung Galaxy connected but I was unable to display any other data than the track title and artist.
Things that I noticed unrelated to the car was how the landscape and drivers changed as I went farther and farther east. The speeds limits slowly dropped, people became more aggressive behind the wheel and more often people drove slow in the left lane. Also, the amount of semi dramatically increased once I got into eastern Kansas.
I only had one issue with the car, during the journey, and that was about 50 miles to go to Williams, AZ the turn signal cameras went out. I never had an issue charging. I came close to having an issue in Flagstaff when all, but one charger was unavailable. The only other potential charging issue was when I reached Bluff, UT. Although the ChargePoint there was free, I needed the app to get it to work. I had no cell signal at the charger so while walking down the road to see if the RV restaurant was open for lunch, I received a text so stopped walking and downloaded the app. Problem solved. Over the journey saw THREE Ioniq 5. Other cars seen at chargers, Kia Ev6, VW ID.4, and a Taycan.
After arriving home, my key fob stopped working. I had posted earlier that the car wouldn’t lock when I walked away. It just gave up the ghost once home. I am using the second key fob and things are back to normal. The RV Outlet box works great, and the Lucid charger cable is long enough to reach the car in the center of garage.
View attachment 3277

View attachment 3276Software, as many have stated is where room for improvement lies. 1.2.6 is an improvement, what I needed early on was ability to continue planned trip to destination instead of having to reinput. What is still needed is better default zoom levels on mostly the pilot panel. When selecting 2D up the map level is almost a duplicate of what’s above. For city driving the default level for 3D up on the right-hand screen is OK, but for highway driving needs to show about 2 miles ahead. As I had mentioned earlier in this thread navigation does not warn you if destination is on the current road just 1,000 feet and “arrived.” Nav. Voice says slight right when making a 90 turn. Also, we say I-four-seventy and not I-four-hundred-seventy.” When driving in St. Louis, Clayton area with tall buildings the GPS got all screwy. So, antenna needs strong uninterrupted signal to work. Shot a video that I plan to send to Lucid. Software can be fixed, hardware cannot, well cheaply. Overall, I highly recommend the car and it does well to carry 3 people their stuff efficiently on a road trip.

PAID $0.00 to charge!!!
Glad you made it home safe and sound. Looks like it was a great trip. Thanks for sharing

Millbrae didn’t deliver the car with the most current version of the software. I didn’t get a chance to update until I was in Topeka, KS. The new Nav software is far better and would have made the first days of the trip better. I have no complaints about the car mechanically or from a hardware perspective.

The Navigation wasn’t just upgraded. It improved a lot of features, more details direction, 3D buildings mapping, destination details, offline mapping, just to make a few. It was way more pleasant to use. And I don’t know how it was before, I feel somehow Alexa is more responsive to Navigation than in the past. Version 1.2.6 was huge step forward!

The Navigation wasn’t just upgraded. It improved a lot of features, more details direction, 3D buildings mapping, destination details, offline mapping, just to make a few. It was way more pleasant to use. And I don’t know how it was before, I feel somehow Alexa is more responsive to Navigation than in the past. Version 1.2.6 was huge step forward!
I think only Alexa improved for you. Talking to service it's pretty widely known Alexa got worse with 1.2.6. They are looking into it, haha.

yes. That is something one should do before trips - download charging network apps as well as PlugShare. Also should go ahead and make an account with the different networks as well. It just makes life easier and prevents the situation you describe.
Also make sure that your phone remembers each app's login credentials in case the app gets updated mid-trip and you need to log in again. And if possible, try using each network's app to initiate a test charge at a local charger. It's easy to have a credit card on account expire, and have trouble with the app when out of cell service range.

I think only Alexa improved for you. Talking to service it's pretty widely known Alexa got worse with 1.2.6. They are looking into it, haha.
Oh, I don’t talk to Alexa much except playing trivia and games. It wasn’t always responding finding destination location for me in the past. Now it can bring up navigation map and find location easier. Before I couldn’t even get Alexa to find EA stations when needed… 😔

View attachment 3277

View attachment 3276Software, as many have stated is where room for improvement lies. 1.2.6 is an improvement, what I needed early on was ability to continue planned trip to destination instead of having to reinput. What is still needed is better default zoom levels on mostly the pilot panel. When selecting 2D up the map level is almost a duplicate of what’s above. For city driving the default level for 3D up on the right-hand screen is OK, but for highway driving needs to show about 2 miles ahead. As I had mentioned earlier in this thread navigation does not warn you if destination is on the current road just 1,000 feet and “arrived.” Nav. Voice says slight right when making a 90 turn. Also, we say I-four-seventy and not I-four-hundred-seventy.” When driving in St. Louis, Clayton area with tall buildings the GPS got all screwy. So, antenna needs strong uninterrupted signal to work. Shot a video that I plan to send to Lucid. Software can be fixed, hardware cannot, well cheaply. Overall, I highly recommend the car and it does well to carry 3 people their stuff efficiently on a road trip.

PAID $0.00 to charge!!!
Great report. Thanks. My only quibble is that I live in Arizona and every slow driver seems to like the left lane or the middle lane but never the right lane. Proves that our population can't read as they obviously never bothered to read the driver's manual before getting their license. I am from the East coast (New York, Ct, Massachusetts) and I agree with the aggressive driver comment. I must admit, however, that our transportation department has never turned a breakdown lane into a traffic lane during rush hour (Ma route 128).

Great report. Thanks. My only quibble is that I live in Arizona and every slow driver seems to like the left lane or the middle lane but never the right lane. Proves that our population can't read as they obviously never bothered to read the driver's manual before getting their license. I am from the East coast (New York, Ct, Massachusetts) and I agree with the aggressive driver comment. I must admit, however, that our transportation department has never turned a breakdown lane into a traffic lane during rush hour (Ma route 128).

They really should just start issuing citations for doing it. It forces people to pass on the right which is inherently dangerous.

Where’s the girl?!

;)

I've charged in eight states, EA chargers until this one were in some remote part of a parking lot and mostly Wal-Mart. This restaurant was very nice!
View attachment 3262

View attachment 3263

View attachment 3264

View attachment 3265

Food was very good and by the look of the menu, dinners are better than my lunch.

ffgrill.com don't know history but I'd be dropping there again on purpose of I'm going through junction of I-57 and I-70

Got home today around 5:20 eastern time! Total miles since Millbrae 3,105.

3.4 mi/kWh

Trip report tomorrow.
We’re just back to Cle Elum from Denver Trip, which included Pikes Peak.
We are now trying to establish a route to Michigan.
It appears routing vis I-90 to Billings and then I-94 to Minneapolis is not viable. All or most Chargepoint locations indicate “under development” and talking to Chargepoint customer service no help.
Therefore we’re looking for a southern route possibly via Denver and East.
What route did you take or any other suggestions?

Back