Lot of Questions

Casadeagumar

Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
I’m waiting delivery on my Lucid Air GT. We have a Tesla hardwire charger at home since we own a Tesla that are planning on keeping. Was thinking of getting a TeslaTap Mini adapter and use with our Tesla charger and wait until the Lucid bidirectional charger comes out and then install that and get rid of the Tesla charger. Have someone done this? Will this be good or bad for the car battery? Any suggestions ideas will be appreciated. Hope I’m doing the right thing.

I got the Tesla tap mini and have used it with my wall Tesla charger. It seems to work as advertised with no issues.

While it works, I thought I had read that 3rd party charging adapters including Tesla tap may cause issues with the Lucid’s battery warranty. Can anyone confirm that?

While it works, I thought I had read that 3rd party charging adapters including Tesla tap may cause issues with the Lucid’s battery warranty. Can anyone confirm that?
My DA tells me that Lucid doesn’t recommend nothing that is not UL Listed. For me it will be a short term solution until I get my Lucid bidirectional charger.

My DA tells me that Lucid doesn’t recommend nothing that is not UL Listed. For me it will be a short term solution until I get my Lucid bidirectional charger.
Yes, everyone should ONLY use UL listed items, but everyone also has their own risk tolerance!

Yes, everyone should ONLY use UL listed items, but everyone also has their own risk tolerance!
I’m also asking for recommendations of other things to do in a short term basis. Lucid Charger should be available towards the end of the year (hopefully).

Living in SoCal with sky-high electric rates (even off peak compared to the rest of the country), I still can’t understand why anyone plugs in at home. Currently free EA stations are ubiquitous though it seems so that helps. That, coupled with the car’s incredible range, make the trips to Target (or elsewhere) a charge/shopping event that fulfills two needs for us and is very efficient. Great rhythm.

Is it just the convenience to plug in at home or habit from previous shorter range cars?

Not knocking anyone. Just trying to figure out what I’m missing….

Living in SoCal with sky-high electric rates (even off peak compared to the rest of the country), I still can’t understand why anyone plugs in at home. Currently free EA stations are ubiquitous though it seems so that helps. That, coupled with the car’s incredible range, make the trips to Target (or elsewhere) a charge/shopping event that fulfills two needs for us and is very efficient. Great rhythm.

Is it just the convenience to plug in at home or habit from previous shorter range cars?

I have a charger at home from my previous Tesla (which has unlimited supercharging), I only use it when I’m too lazy to go to the charging station. But I agree, taking advantage of the free charging while I have it!

If you don’t mind me asking. How many miles/hr do you get while charging at home.
At home I use an EA charger on a 50 amp circuit and pull 9.6kW. When I have used the included Lucid 14-50 plug it is 8kW.

I did find when I used Tesla destination charger with Tesla tap I was getting 9.6kW also, but most hotel J1772 were at best 8kW. A few were 6 or less.

I charge at home so I can leave the house at 80% and never give range or charging another thought. Once I’m in SC electricity is 11 cents kWh 24 hours a day. For $1 a day, I’ll enjoy the convenience and reserve EA for road trips. If EA was at Starbucks instead of Walmart, now that would be a different story.

Because I don't care about the $8 it takes to charge my $150,000 car.

I don’t believe for a second you would sell it for 150k. 😁
Well...depends on how much grief I get going to Vegas in 3 weeks!!!!

Frequent fast charging can degrade the battery, so charging at 'just' level 2 can help prolong the battery life, albeit at some cost out of pocket.
On a more serious note, this ^^^. I'd like my kids to be able to drive this car, so 9 years from now, and in order to keep its battery in good shape, I'm trying to miminze DCFC to roadtrips only. The amount I'm saving from using gas vs home charging is already enough I don't mind charging on super off peak when I need it.

Living in SoCal with sky-high electric rates (even off peak compared to the rest of the country), I still can’t understand why anyone plugs in at home.
Solar.

At home I use an EA charger on a 50 amp circuit and pull 9.6kW. When I have used the included Lucid 14-50 plug it is 8kW.

I did find when I used Tesla destination charger with Tesla tap I was getting 9.6kW also, but most hotel J1772 were at best 8kW. A few were 6 or less.

I charge at home so I can leave the house at 80% and never give range or charging another thought. Once I’m in SC electricity is 11 cents kWh 24 hours a day. For $1 a day, I’ll enjoy the convenience and reserve EA for road trips. If EA was at Starbucks instead of Walmart, now that would be a different story.
Even in San Diego, charging overnight on the TOU5 rate plan for EVs, the rate is less than 10 cents per kW. The cost is minimal than for me to drive 20’ to the closest EA charger, spend 20’ there and then a 20’ drive back. That, combined with the fact that repeated fast charging is bad for the battery is why I would charge at home when I finally get the car. However, if I am close to an EA station, I will use the free charge, and I am definitely will use it on trips. The Lucid will now be the trip car.

I live 2 miles from an EA station but I charge at home. We have a solar roof with powerwalls for this exact reason.

Yes, it's wonderful, isn't it? Everything you say.

As others say you might not want to fast-charge / full-charge all the time, if you plan to give your car to your kids some day.
But there's more.

It's not a golf cart, it's a life-style.

My home battery back-up power supply will be a Lucid. ( waiting for the Lucid thingie thing for bi-directional.)
That's the plan.
We get power outages several times/yr. Dying hurricanes, thunderstorms, ice storms, floods, idiot drivers hitting poles...we even get tornadoes ...never used to ??? it's almost like the whole climate is changing.

Installing solar to close the loop ... then I"m drilling a well and planting potatoes. I"m colonizing Mars here.
Who says fusion power is 50 years away?
It's right there in the sky, people!
LOOK UP!

Last edited:
Back