Long range test and EA charging

gmoney

Cars
Lucid Air Dream
Completed my first 900 mile long distance road trip (total back and forth) in my Lucid Dream Performance with 21s….it was pretty much all highway with a few construction zones cruising between 55-85. We had cruise on maybe 50% of time and had A/C set between 70-72 because temps were in 80’s and 90’s…we averaged 3.2 kilowatts which is roughly 80% of EPA stated range.

The car very comfortable to drive and be a passenger in…plenty of leg room and creature comforts. We used built in navigation without any issues (volume muted) used both screens (with pilot panel) often because it showed all the route steps not just the summary used on main screen. We used Spotify the entire trip with no issues driving trough VA, MD, PA and OH.

The cars navigation recommended non EA stations but I was able to program using only EA stations to test the free charging and 350 charges.

We stops at stations that were in Sheetz stations so we could easily use bathrooms and grab some food or drinks. We stopped a total of 3 times ranging from 12 minutes to 30 minutes and the charging speeds were decent with about 2.5 average kilowatts added per minute…so my last session added 64 kilowatts in 25 minutes (we stopped for lunch).

We saw other vehicle’s like Volkswagen, Hyundai, Rivian and Chevy…all vehicles were charging at a much slower rate than my Lucid…some cars took several change of units to work but my Lucid station worked every time without any issues.

My wife was hesitate to use the Lucid instead one of our ICE vehicles but she now understands and appreciates the differences.

So in summary we had a great experience and look forward to our next road trip next month.

Completed my first 900 mile long distance road trip (total back and forth) in my Lucid Dream Performance with 21s….it was pretty much all highway with a few construction zones cruising between 55-85. We had cruise on maybe 50% of time and had A/C set between 70-72 because temps were in 80’s and 90’s…we averaged 3.2 kilowatts which is roughly 80% of EPA stated range.

The car very comfortable to drive and be a passenger in…plenty of leg room and creature comforts. We used built in navigation without any issues (volume muted) used both screens (with pilot panel) often because it showed all the route steps not just the summary used on main screen. We used Spotify the entire trip with no issues driving trough VA, MD, PA and OH.

The cars navigation recommended non EA stations but I was able to program using only EA stations to test the free charging and 350 charges.

We stops at stations that were in Sheetz stations so we could easily use bathrooms and grab some food or drinks. We stopped a total of 3 times ranging from 12 minutes to 30 minutes and the charging speeds were decent with about 2.5 average kilowatts added per minute…so my last session added 64 kilowatts in 25 minutes (we stopped for lunch).

We saw other vehicle’s like Volkswagen, Hyundai, Rivian and Chevy…all vehicles were charging at a much slower rate than my Lucid…some cars took several change of units to work but my Lucid station worked every time without any issues.

My wife was hesitate to use the Lucid instead one of our ICE vehicles but she now understands and appreciates the differences.

So in summary we had a great experience and look forward to our next road trip next month.
This guy had an almost universally bad experience with EA chargers on a 1,200 mile road trip that he went on immediately after taking delivery.

I’ve only had an EA charger quit on me once, and another time it said “power limited by station” and I couldn’t get more than 62 kw. Every other time it’s worked great, although the 350kw stations rarely get anywhere near 300. But I’m in the NorthEast. It seems Texas and middle America EA charging is super unreliable. I wonder if it’s something to do with Texas’s stupid grid?

Dallas has 4 EA stations, I visited 3 of them, all have 1/2 of stalls not working when I visited them.

Austin, 1 massive EA station at Round Rock Premium Outlets Mall, 3 installs were not working when I visited them.

Houston, 2 small stations I use, both never have issue for me. But today I saw another Lucid first time charging, happened 1 stall was down at the station near me home. He charged real fast and went back on the road. I don’t need 350 kW, 150kW is fast enough for me. Finding a working 350kW stall is almost like finding an unicorn in Texas.

Back