LCID just went below $8

Like I said, they are literally already working on this. But you can’t just put “make me a $50k car” in ChatGPT and have it appear.

understood...
my comment was that's where they should have started 3 years ago. The layoffs are continuing i know of 7-10 people loal who just got walking papers.
could be many more than the 1400 already

Looking forward, I hope Lucid has done a better job of using components designed for the Air in the Gravity and hopefully subsequent vehicles; especially when compared to Tesla. I know the Model X was very different from the S, however the 3 and Y are damn near identical. Meaning I sure hope that the Gravity shares a higher percentage of parts with the Air. The more the design team can leverage parts already being used the better off the company will be. Especially when they want to trim fat everywhere. This would be a nice step forward from the get go.

If the Gravity doesn't share a large portion of components with the Air, I'll be very disappointed. I just assumed Peter would have the foresight for this, unless there is some crazy engineering or design reasoning behind it.

Looking forward, I hope Lucid has done a better job of using components designed for the Air in the Gravity and hopefully subsequent vehicles; especially when compared to Tesla. I know the Model X was very different from the S, however the 3 and Y are damn near identical. Meaning I sure hope that the Gravity shares a higher percentage of parts with the Air. The more the design team can leverage parts already being used the better off the company will be. Especially when they want to trim fat everywhere. This would be a nice step forward from the get go.

If the Gravity doesn't share a large portion of components with the Air, I'll be very disappointed. I just assumed Peter would have the foresight for this, unless there is some crazy engineering or design reasoning behind it.
The entire front element is identical. So I think many parts are the same.
Only thing different might be the additional heating and AC seats for the 4 front seats instead of 2 just in front. Cause there will be more executive seats in the Gravity. And they'll probably use same materials

The entire front element is identical. So I think many parts are the same.
Only thing different might be the additional heating and AC seats for the 4 front seats instead of 2 just in front. Cause there will be more executive seats in the Gravity. And they'll probably use same materials
I'm really not concerned about seats or anything visual because those likely will need to look slightly different to fit the car.

I'm talking at a more granular level and specifically the bespoke items. For example the horseshoe that is forged. I hope it's the same piece because a completely different from packaging reason means you need to put hase two different parts and also keep inventory for it. Perhaps all of the suspension components, electrical components and most certainly the drivetrain components. Or the flat belly pan for the battery pack, that Munroe pointed out as being very expensive and requiring hand finishing. I hope there isn't a different one for the Gravity and that the Gravity essentially uses the exact same skateboard battery pack, perhaps taller in height for additional battery modules; vs wider or longer.

The Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe were essentially identical cars wrapped in different shells. All assembled at Nummi, the Nummi that Tesla now owns. I hope that Lucid has as much as possible, without compromise, made the Gravity an Air wrapped in a different shell.

I'm really not concerned about seats or anything visual because those likely will need to look slightly different to fit the car.

I'm talking at a more granular level and specifically the bespoke items. For example the horseshoe that is forged. I hope it's the same piece because a completely different from packaging reason means you need to put hase two different parts and also keep inventory for it. Perhaps all of the suspension components, electrical components and most certainly the drivetrain components. Or the flat belly pan for the battery pack, that Munroe pointed out as being very expensive and requiring hand finishing. I hope there isn't a different one for the Gravity and that the Gravity essentially uses the exact same skateboard battery pack, perhaps taller in height for additional battery modules; vs wider or longer.

The Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe were essentially identical cars wrapped in different shells. All assembled at Nummi, the Nummi that Tesla now owns. I hope that Lucid has as much as possible, without compromise, made the Gravity an Air wrapped in a different shell.
From press, the suspension will be different because Gravity will have air suspension vs the Air.

From press, the suspension will be different because Gravity will have air suspension vs the Air.

I would assume that even if they didn't use air suspension, that there would be a different target ride characteristic that would require different spring rates and shock tuning.

Without Lucid confirming or telling us, we will never know how much of the Gravity comes from the Air, but I'm really hoping they are pulling as much as they can from the Air into the Gravity and subsequent models. Tesla made this mistake with the S and X, as an investor I hope Lucid hasn't done the same with the Air and Gravity especially considering that Lucid is trying to cut costs to stay afloat.

In some way or another every car manufacturer has been pushing to do this over the last decade. Subaru has its SGP, Subaru Global Platform, Toyota has its Toyota New Global Architecture, obviously Tesla does this with the 3 and Y. Porsche has touted its PPE, Premium Platform Electric, for its future EV lineup. Even Ferrari is doing this, the new Purosangue is based on the Roma.

I would assume that even if they didn't use air suspension, that there would be a different target ride characteristic that would require different spring rates and shock tuning.

Without Lucid confirming or telling us, we will never know how much of the Gravity comes from the Air, but I'm really hoping they are pulling as much as they can from the Air into the Gravity and subsequent models. Tesla made this mistake with the S and X, as an investor I hope Lucid hasn't done the same with the Air and Gravity especially considering that Lucid is trying to cut costs to stay afloat.

In some way or another every car manufacturer has been pushing to do this over the last decade. Subaru has its SGP, Subaru Global Platform, Toyota has its Toyota New Global Architecture, obviously Tesla does this with the 3 and Y. Porsche has touted its PPE, Premium Platform Electric, for its future EV lineup. Even Ferrari is doing this, the new Purosangue is based on the Roma.
IMG_3953.jpeg

Let me try to illustrate my point.

Here is the Model 3 Front Subframe Assembly
Model 3 FSub.png

Here is the Model Y Front Subframe Assembly
Model Y FSub.png

It is the same exact assembly. This means Tesla only has to maintain inventory for one assembly for two cars. If demand for the 3 drops but the Y increases, no worries. Parts that would have been used on the 3 production line, simply get reallocated to the Y production line. Tesla is not stuck holding thousands of dollars in parts inventory for a car they don't have demand for. This was a lesson learned from the Model S and X. I'm sure if you dig around the parts catalog, you'll find tons of parts that the model 3 and Y share together, which makes managing inventory so much easier and helps unnecessary costs down.

Here is the Model S Front Subframe Assembly
Model S FSub.png

Here is the Model X Front Subframe Assembly
Model X FSub.png

The Model S and X don't share the same front subframe assembly. If demand for the S drops and the X increases, Tesla is now stuck holding thousands of dollars in Model S front sub frame assemblies that they cannot use for any other car. They will also need to increase inventory of the Model X front subframe assemblies.

I hope Lucid is doing the same between the Air and the Gravity; optimizing the design of Gravity to use as many components from the Air as possible. Skipping the mistake of the Model S and X, and jumping straight to a more unified and optimized design like you see in the 3 and Y. Of course not all parts will carry over, there will be exceptions, like the actual suspension shocks and springs.

Last edited:
Back