Jet Engine Noise after charging

vgrover711

As I went out to get a charge today, my car will not stop making the jet engine noise after charge and driving around town for the last 15 min. Is this normal? Would an outdoor restart help. What the heck is going on, very embarrassing.

As I went out to get a charge today, my car will not stop making the jet engine noise after charge and driving around town for the last 15 min. Is this normal? Would an outdoor restart help. What the heck is going on, very embarrassing.
Where did you charge? What's the external temp?

It will keep running to cool your batteries after a charge if it's very hot out. Since when is a (quiet) jet engine noise embarrassing, anyway? Tell people it's your air thrusters.

It’s probably very warm. Let it do what it needs to do, that sound is the sound of the pump trying to cool down your battery.

The embarrassing part is a little weird. Who cares if your car makes a noise? Gas cars make all sorts of noises.

It is about 91 degrees here and I assumed the sound was from cooling the battery, but its extremely loud, annoying and lasted for my whole 10-15 min car ride.

Happened to me the very first time I charged on my way from Scottsdale after picking up the car. It was a very hot day when charging at Dateland EA. Wife was very much anxious on hearing the sound, but I convinced her that it's the battery doing some conditioning.

It will keep running to cool your batteries after a charge if it's very hot out. Since when is a (quiet) jet engine noise embarrassing, anyway? Tell people it's your air thrusters.
I'm sure the Tesla Roadster is crying in a corner right now (the corner of the Tesla product trash-bin, that is)!
It’s probably very warm. Let it do what it needs to do, that sound is the sound of the pump trying to cool down your battery.

The embarrassing part is a little weird. Who cares if your car makes a noise? Gas cars make all sorts of noises.
Agreed on all counts. This is perfectly normal with Level 3 charging. Can somebody confirm if this also happens with L2?

It's normal. You can't pump a HUGE volume of power into a battery and expect it to stay silent especially as we're in summer. My previous e-Tron did the same thing. The hotter is is outside the more the car needs to work to keep that battery at optimal temp which I believe is around 70F to 80F, especially after the excessive amount of heat you've just put into it to charge. I have no idea why you think its embarrassing, the noise probably isn't that much different from a car idling at a traffic light with AC blasting etc. going in summer.

If its really that bothersome to you, charge at home or wait until its cooled down outside before using a DCFC. You'll still hear fan noise but probably for not as long in the cooler outside temp.

Also can happen after firmware updates, also quite normal.

I made it a plan to just tell people it's the engine running if anyone ever asks. Give them a split second state of confusion.

it happens all the time for me in Bay area weather ~65F for me. i'm pretty sure the fans got louder in one of the updates (maybe 6-8mos ago?) but the charging is also more robust so no complaints from me. if you turn off the air conditioning the fans go quiet (not always though).

I'm sure the Tesla Roadster is crying in a corner right now (the corner of the Tesla product trash-bin, that is)!

Agreed on all counts. This is perfectly normal with Level 3 charging. Can somebody confirm if this also happens with L2?
Does not happen on L2

Does not happen on L2
I do actually get a pretty loud fan noise in my garage when charging on the Lucid charging station with the full 80A set up. Though, to be fair, I live in central TX, where the garage is 85-90 degrees in the summer. 🥵

I do actually get a pretty loud fan noise in my garage when charging on the Lucid charging station with the full 80A set up. Though, to be fair, I live in central TX, where the garage is 85-90 degrees in the summer. 🥵
Sure - it’s based on heat, and charging makes heat. Leaving your car in blazing 100 degree sun can also make it loud; no charging required. :)

Back