RESOLVED Issues on new vehicle

frank4711

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
Lucid Air GT
I recently purchased a 2023 Lucid GT with just 700 miles on it in Atlanta, thinking it would be perfect for a road trip to Denver. Unfortunately, my journey was cut short in Missouri, just before Kansas City, when I encountered the notorious "Brake System Fault / Auto Hold Fault" issue. The car became undrivable at midnight on a Saturday.When I contacted Lucid Service, their response was disappointing. They could only schedule a tow that would take a week, and the car had to be transported to Chicago before being shipped to Denver. This means I won't see my car for at least three weeks, which is both ridiculous and frustrating.Given that this is a known issue affecting many Lucid owners, I am baffled as to why there hasn't been a recall to address it. This experience has seriously undermined my confidence in the company's ability to provide efficient service. While the car is fantastic when it's operational, my trust in Lucid has plummeted.

I recently purchased a 2023 Lucid GT with just 700 miles on it in Atlanta, thinking it would be perfect for a road trip to Denver. Unfortunately, my journey was cut short in Missouri, just before Kansas City, when I encountered the notorious "Brake System Fault / Auto Hold Fault" issue. The car became undrivable at midnight on a Saturday.When I contacted Lucid Service, their response was disappointing. They could only schedule a tow that would take a week, and the car had to be transported to Chicago before being shipped to Denver. This means I won't see my car for at least three weeks, which is both ridiculous and frustrating.Given that this is a known issue affecting many Lucid owners, I am baffled as to why there hasn't been a recall to address it. This experience has seriously undermined my confidence in the company's ability to provide efficient service. While the car is fantastic when it's operational, my trust in Lucid has plummeted.
Did they offer you a loaner? If not, ask for one.

This isn't a 'known issue' affecting 'many Lucid owners.' In fact, I have not seen a brake system fault / auto hold fault here before. Can't have a recall for an issue that isn't widespread.

I'm sorry it happened in your first few hours with the car; that sucks. But they will take care of you.

They did not offer a loaner as of now. They said they have to wait until it reaches the service center in Chicago. Then they will offer me a rental.
Also, they promised to tow it from the hotel where I left it in Missouri by Wednesday at the latest. So, let's see.

I thought it was a known/common bug, as I was searching for it and found quite a few who had the same issue. I hope it gets better from here, but the trust is gone (for now).
The worst thing is to hear from my wife: "See, I told you that happens when you buy American" ;-)

They did not offer a loaner as of now. They said they have to wait until it reaches the service center in Chicago. Then they will offer me a rental.
Also, they promised to tow it from the hotel where I left it in Missouri by Wednesday at the latest. So, let's see.

I thought it was a known/common bug, as I was searching for it and found quite a few who had the same issue. I hope it gets better from here, but the trust is gone (for now).
The worst thing is to hear from my wife: "See, I told you that happens when you buy American" ;-)
The error covers multiple issues so it may not be the same problem each time hence no recall

Did you buy this from Lucid or a dealer? You say it just started throwing this error after driving for couple of hours from your purchase?

IMHO availability and ease of quality loaners (no Nissan Sentras please) is a major component of what makes a good luxury automobile retailer. Lucid could have apologized about what happened and told the OP that it would arrange for a loaner to meet him right now (relatively speaking; wherever he is) or it could do something like it apparently did. The former would likely have pleased the OP; the latter did not and if it were me would not.

Almost from the beginning I think Lucid has failed on this score. Sending folks to a car renter and telling the Lucid customer that he can submit receipts for reimbursement, or that he has to wait until the car arrives in another city after a tow would infuriate me as well. During the pandemic, when there was a shortage of cars, my BMW dealer arranged for Hertz to supply cars for loaners. I got one (a Cadillac). But the dealer did not send me to Hertz; I just walked over to the loaner desk and did the same paperwork I always did.

The Lucid Air is a great car. But luxury car buyers expect more at the repair/service end. I feel for the OP.

IMHO availability and ease of quality loaners (no Nissan Sentras please) is a major component of what makes a good luxury automobile retailer. Lucid could have apologized about what happened and told the OP that it would arrange for a loaner to meet him right now (relatively speaking; wherever he is) or it could do something like it apparently did. The former would likely have pleased the OP; the latter did not and if it were me would not.

Almost from the beginning I think Lucid has failed on this score. Sending folks to a car renter and telling the Lucid customer that he can submit receipts for reimbursement, or that he has to wait until the car arrives in another city after a tow would infuriate me as well. During the pandemic, when there was a shortage of cars, my BMW dealer arranged for Hertz to supply cars for loaners. I got one (a Cadillac). But the dealer did not send me to Hertz; I just walked over to the loaner desk and did the same paperwork I always did.

The Lucid Air is a great car. But luxury car buyers expect more at the repair/service end. I feel for the OP.
Did you expect lucid to transport a loaner to the OP hundreds of miles from the nearest service center?

Did you expect lucid to transport a loaner to the OP hundreds of miles from the nearest service center?
at midnight on a Saturday mind you 😂

You're not going to get ANYTHING from ANY car dealer at that time of night. Weekends are the worse time for this to happen as most service centers aren't open 7 days a week to provide loaners.

Quick Update: They expedited the towing and they are picking the car now up within the next hour from the hotel, so complaining helps!
Regarding the loaner: I understand that they can't send a loner 450 miles from the service center, but they told me anyway as soon as (!!!) the car reaches the service center, then, I will be offered a rental car from Hertz. I have Statefarm, and so far everything I have done so far is covered by Statefarm, and nothing from Lucid right now. I got the last rental car on the lot in Missouri to drive home to Denver in a KIA soul (780 miles). My back still hurts...

And tbh, don't get me wrong—I want to love this car/company. I just bought it as an interim until the Gravity becomes fully available (after the first batch).
I was just disappointed to get that support on the weekend.

At least today three different people reached out from Lucid and apologized, so I think from here it can only get better and I switched back to optimsm :)

Lucid handled the car rental process terrifically the few times that we’ve had service and a loaner wasn’t available. The last time we had service, due to a faulty hood latch, the Atlanta service team drove a loaner to our home in Huntsville, Alabama, and picked up our car. There was a shortage of transport vehicles at the time and they verified we were ok with the additional mileage. The Atlanta service team is definitely improving.

Steve, please stop talking about things you don't have any experience with. Lucid has offered loaners now for quite some time, and while there was a short time period where they sent you to a rental agency (and/or had no rental agreement in place at all), now they will simply have you sign the loaner paperwork at the service center and drive away in it, or tow it to you if needed and have you sign electronically (if within reasonable towing distance). Otherwise, they'll give you a rental from Hertz and Hertz will deliver it to you.

The OP's experience sucked, but is unusual, and it sounds like it's been resolved quickly.

That happen to me, I did a soft reboot and the Brake System Fault disappeared. It never came back.

That happen to me, I did a soft reboot and the Brake System Fault disappeared. It never came back.
Yeah, I tried this as well with the "AIR Logo" and the steering wheel option. The weird thing was that there was also an update, 2.2.2, available in the morning that I installed right away. Then 2.2.10 became available, but I was not able to install it.

Yeah, I tried this as well with the "AIR Logo" and the steering wheel option. The weird thing was that there was also an update, 2.2.2, available in the morning that I installed right away. Then 2.2.10 became available, but I was not able to install it.
And 2.3.0 is right after that. I'm looking forward to the next one given Peter Rawlinson's comments on the investor call

JUST FYI: They switched to Enterprise Car Rental... The last time I rented with those guys was 3 years ago because they SUCKED and had only sh.... cars

JUST FYI: They switched to Enterprise Car Rental... The last time I rented with those guys was 3 years ago because they SUCKED and had only sh.... cars
🤔 I'm personally not a fan of Enterprise for reasons, but they have (at some locations) Lucid rentals. Certainly not only terrible cars across the board. I don't think Lucid has changed either, seems like they go with either.

🤔 I'm personally not a fan of Enterprise for reasons, but they have (at some locations) Lucid rentals. Certainly not only terrible cars across the board. I don't think Lucid has changed either, seems like they go with either.
Correct; my understanding is it's location-based and they have contracts with both, but I don't know that for certain.

Just happened to me, service center close for the weekend

Attachments

• image.webp
    image.webp
    745.8 KB · Views: 2,648
Today I got my car back, shipped from. Chicago to Denver. They had to replace the rear drive unit. At least they had the part in stock.

Today I got my car back, shipped from. Chicago to Denver. They had to replace the rear drive unit. At least they had the part in stock.
It was a very harrowing situation. Car lurched and stopped in the middle of a busy LA street. Lucky I didn’t get rear ended. Then finally got it into N and pulled over. Multiple errors. Turtle icon etc. Great experience for a 1 month old car with 1000 miles on it.

Attachments

• IMG_2506.webp
    IMG_2506.webp
    537.1 KB · Views: 1,723
  • IMG_2508.webp
    IMG_2508.webp
    899.2 KB · Views: 653
  • IMG_2507.webp
    IMG_2507.webp
    942.7 KB · Views: 809
Back