Is Lucid Service starting to get overwhelmed?

It’s why I decided to post. 😐
In general, for service, call the service center directly. They are very responsive and it is better than going through customer care.

For what it’s worth, Millbrae is still extremely on top of things.

In general, for service, call the service center directly. They are very responsive and it is better than going through customer care.

For what it’s worth, Millbrae is still extremely on top of things.

I have the direct cell line of the Manager at Riviera Beach, and he is very responsive. However, I always start my service requests through Customer Service as I want to be sure everything is logged in for Lucid's central data collection on vehicle problem reports.

I have the direct cell line of the Manager at Riviera Beach, and he is very responsive. However, I always start my service requests through Customer Service as I want to be sure everything is logged in for Lucid's central data collection on vehicle problem reports.
That’s probably the best approach overall. I have the manager’s cell and have never called it (other than when we were dealing with an real issue) but don’t typically call the 800 number. But you are correct of course. That’s the best way to make sure the entire team knows there could be an issue.

If you mean an aftermarket steering wheel, the horn, blinker buttons, windshield wiper controls, and other functions are on the steering yoke. At a minimum, you would have to install a blinker stalk on the steering column and wiper controls somewhere else. This would not be a home garage switchover.

You can buy a Tesla steering wheel online a 100% exact match. I forget where I saw it, but you can online. You could also switch with someone who wants a yoke, I am sure someone wants it.

found this quick search: https://insideevs.com/news/560581/normal-steering-wheel-model-s/

You can buy a Tesla steering wheel online a 100% exact match. I forget where I saw it, but you can online. You could also switch with someone who wants a yoke, I am sure someone wants it.

found this quick search: https://insideevs.com/news/560581/normal-steering-wheel-model-s/

That's just the awkwardly-shaped yoke with an extra loop added to the top, although it would be something of an improvement. However, I'd still be grappling with the very poorly designed turn signal buttons and a horn button that is difficult to locate and reach. Why Tesla put both the left and right turn buttons on the left side of the steering yoke instead of on their corresponding sides, such as Ferrari does in its much better executed design, is an enduring mystery to me. If you want to hit the turn signal while the yoke/wheel is turned much off center, you have to hunt for it.

I could not switch with someone who has a wheel but wants a yoke, as I would be without a turn signal stalk and have a wheel with no turn signal buttons.

At least I understand why Tesla was not providing test drives for cars with the yoke . . . or even allowing customers to open up and sit in yoke-wheeled cars that were sitting on the delivery lot. Our car arrived at the delivery center a week before delivery. We drove up to look at it and asked if they would open the car so we could sit in it. Even though we had the printout showing the VIN of the car we had ordered, the delivery center refused to let us even open the car.

That's just the awkwardly-shaped yoke with an extra loop added to the top, although it would be something of an improvement. However, I'd still be grappling with the very poorly designed turn signal buttons and a horn button that is difficult to locate and reach. Why Tesla put both the left and right turn buttons on the left side of the steering yoke instead of on their corresponding sides, such as Ferrari does in its much better executed design, is an enduring mystery to me. If you want to hit the turn signal while the yoke/wheel is turned much off center, you have to hunt for it.

I could not switch with someone who has a wheel but wants a yoke, as I would be without a turn signal stalk and have a wheel with no turn signal buttons.

At least I understand why Tesla was not providing test drives for cars with the yoke . . . or even allowing customers to open up and sit in yoke-wheeled cars that were sitting on the delivery lot. Our car arrived at the delivery center a week before delivery. We drove up to look at it and asked if they would open the car so we could sit in it. Even though we had the printout showing the VIN of the car we had ordered, the delivery center refused to let us even open the car.
Just mind boggling, the stubbornness of Elon over this decision. I could totally see offering it as an option for those who really want to pretend to be race car drivers. I could even see it being the default, with a "full" wheel as an add-on option for a few grand. But just not even offering anything but the yoke is insane to me.

Take-any-of-Apple's-worst-UX-decisions-over-the-years-and-multiply-by-10 level bad.

Just mind boggling, the stubbornness of Elon over this decision. I could totally see offering it as an option for those who really want to pretend to be race car drivers. I could even see it being the default, with a "full" wheel as an add-on option for a few grand. But just not even offering anything but the yoke is insane to me.

Take-any-of-Apple's-worst-UX-decisions-over-the-years-and-multiply-by-10 level bad.

Elon Musk - engineering genius who finds solutions for problems that don’t exist. And expects your adulation in return.

Last edited:
"Is Lucid Service starting to get overwhelmed?" - I think Lucid is overwhelmed right now.

Mobile Tech just left. My car (#154) did not have a defective wiring harness.

For the second time, the rear plastic trim piece on the top of the trunk lid (next to the rear window) was replaced because its rubber weather strip had become detached. The Tech said they are having to replace them fairly frequently, which is why it took a while to get the part. He wasn't sure whether the issue with the glue has been resolved by now.

He also checked the driver's floor mat which keeps sliding forward. The floor mat is anchored with three plastic Velcro-like discs that are screwed into the floorboard and grip the underside of the floor mat. He found that the incremental movement of the floor mat from getting in and out of the car had caused the fibers on the bottom of the floor mat to wear off and build up in the disc "fingers", thereby causing the mat to lose grip. When he shifted the mat to catch the discs in a different place, they once again firmly gripped the mat. He took photos to send to Engineering.

This is the same floor mat anchoring method used in our 2015 Tesla Model S, and I spent six years having to reposition the floor mat every time I got behind the wheel. I'm thinking about taking the Air to an auto upholstery shop to have the back edge of the floor mat whip-stitched into the carpet.

For the second time, the rear plastic trim piece on the top of the trunk lid (next to the rear window) was replaced because its rubber weather strip had become detached. The Tech said they are having to replace them fairly frequently, which is why it took a while to get the part. He wasn't sure whether the issue with the glue has been resolved by now.

He also checked the driver's floor mat which keeps sliding forward. The floor mat is anchored with three plastic Velcro-like discs that are screwed into the floorboard and grip the underside of the floor mat. He found that the incremental movement of the floor mat from getting in and out of the car had caused the fibers on the bottom of the floor mat to wear off and build up in the disc "fingers", thereby causing the mat to lose grip. When he shifted the mat to catch the discs in a different place, they once again firmly gripped the mat. He took photos to send to Engineering.

This is the same floor mat anchoring method used in our 2015 Tesla Model S, and I spent six years having to reposition the floor mat every time I got behind the wheel. I'm thinking about taking the Air to an auto upholstery shop to have the back edge of the floor mat whip-stitched into the carpet.
So does this mean the Air is back on to being the road trip car?

So does this mean the Air is back on to being the road trip car?

Oh, yeah.

Actually, we might have risked it, anyway. After driving the Air for five months, I just couldn't get my head around spending six days in the noisier, harsher-riding, less roomy Model S Plaid . . . or trying to deal with that yoke. (The extending thigh supports in the Air's front seats alone would almost have been enough to tempt me to take the risk.)

I am starting to think that the engineering teams are getting overloaded, not the service centers. Engineering is still reviewing my screen crashes and shock and tilt false alarms. Previously they would have guidance for the service center in a day and they have been reviewing my issues for a week and a half. I think issues that do not require engineering support are still getting resolved very quickly. This is just an impression based on comments from the service team so take with a large grain of salt.

There were other cars in the Scottsdale service center having the recall inspection done. So far Scottsdale has not found any worn wiring.

Then I got the wiring harness recall notice in the middle of last week. I called Lucid and asked if they could schedule the inspection for the recall for the same visit in which they replaced the weather strip. They said they could and that I would get a confirmation call within 24 hours. As of today -- five days later -- I've still heard nothing.
Weird. I called them this afternoon to schedule the recall inspection visit and they called me back 2 hours later to offer me two different dates. I don’t think they’re that overwhelmed. When I called I was only on hold for 30 seconds and then a service person answered.

Mobile Tech also visited me today in South Florida. No defective wiring issue. He shortened the wire and put a clip on it. Took 20 minutes. He said they had a ton (I said 100 and he sort of agreed) of cars to get PDI done.

Weird. I called them this afternoon to schedule the recall inspection visit and they called me back 2 hours later to offer me two different dates. I don’t think they’re that overwhelmed. When I called I was only on hold for 30 seconds and then a service person answered.

The wrinkle is that I called them to ask that they wait to schedule my recall inspection until the trunk lid weather strip arrived so that they could kill two birds with one visit. I was told that the Service Center would call me within 24 hours to discuss. That is the call that did not come until I made two more calls to them over the next five days.

I have found the Palm Beach service center to be pretty responsive - not perfect but certainly better than Tesla, Porchse or BMW. Getting parts though definitely takes longer - the few times parts were needed, it was a couple of weeks

I have found the Palm Beach service center to be pretty responsive - not perfect but certainly better than Tesla, Porchse or BMW. Getting parts though definitely takes longer - the few times parts were needed, it was a couple of weeks

I, too, have seen great response from the Riviera Beach service team. I'm not at all sure the calls I was making to Lucid's central customer care were getting promptly passed along to Riviera Beach. (I've had the direct cell number for the Riviera Beach manager for some months, but I was hesitant to bother him with a non-emergency. It only started to become more of an emergency as our planned road trip loomed nearer.)

Back