• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Infotainment and reboot

The car can not be compatible with CarPlay if it is not running car play. CarPlay runs on the car not the the iPhone. It’s not something the owner can purchase and install on their own. It’s not confusing it’s deceptive.
CarPlay runs on the phone. It is displayed on the car's screen.

"Compatible" is definitely a weasel word here. What they mean to say is that the Lucid's Infotainment system will support CarPlay. The hardware has the capability of displaying CarPlay from your phone, in other words. The feature just hasn't been implemented yet in software.

A 1988 Nissan Sentra's infotainment system is not compatible with CarPlay. It will never be able to communicate with your phone, unless you replace the entire hardware system.

A Lucid Air is not compatible with CDs or Cassette tapes. They will never be able to be played on the Lucid's audio system.

I agree, they could have easily made this clearer by simply saying "CarPlay and Android Auto functionality coming soon via software update." Or something to that effect.

The key point here is that CarPlay and Android Auto are definitely coming. At no additional cost to you and with no required hardware upgrades. It's just taken a bit longer than Lucid would have liked, due to far more pressing operating system problems that need to be ironed out by the team.

The car can not be compatible with CarPlay if it is not running car play. CarPlay runs on the car not the the iPhone. It’s not something the owner can purchase and install on their own. It’s not confusing it’s deceptive.
In IT/computer parlance, compatible simply means the hardware and underlying software is capable of running the app in question. So iPhone 3 is not compatible. iPhone 12 is compatible. The same with the Volvo xc40, until they installed carplay last month, it was simply compatible with carplay and was advertised as such...now they can say runs carplay or carplay is installed.

CarPlay does not run on the car, it runs on the phone. The car simply displays CarPlay’s views and passes through interactions.

The car *is* compatible with CarPlay, it just isn’t implemented yet. But it will be, and will cost you nothing extra / there will be nothing else to add.

"Compatible" is definitely a weasel word here. What they mean to say is that the Lucid's Infotainment system will support CarPlay. The hardware has the capability of displaying CarPlay from your phone, in other words. The feature just hasn't been implemented yet in software.

A 1988 Nissan Sentra's infotainment system is not compatible with CarPlay. It will never be able to communicate with your phone, unless you replace the entire hardware system.

A Lucid Air is not compatible with CDs or Cassette tapes. They will never be able to be played on the Lucid's audio system.

I agree, they could have easily made this clearer by simply saying "CarPlay and Android Auto functionality coming soon via software update." Or something to that effect.

The key point here is that CarPlay and Android Auto are definitely coming. At no additional cost to you and with no required hardware upgrades. It's just taken a bit longer than Lucid would have liked, due to far more pressing operating system problems that need to be ironed out by the team.
Agreed with all of this.

In IT/computer parlance, compatible simply means the hardware and underlying software is capable of running the app in question. So iPhone 3 is not compatible. iPhone 12 is compatible. The same with the Volvo xc40, until they installed carplay last month, it was simply compatible with carplay and was advertised as such...now they can say runs carplay or carplay is installed.
Fair and accurate, however context is important. Lucid knows what they are doing by advertising the compatibility. Disingenuous at best.

Fair and accurate, however context is important. Lucid knows what they are doing by advertising the compatibility. Disingenuous at best.
I'm quite certain when they wrote that line many months ago, even they thought CarPlay was "just around the corner."
Maybe I've just been in the software game too long, but I knew immediately what they meant by "compatible."

"Not done yet."

Disingenuous? deceptive? I think all those interpretations are possible. I think of it more as typical marketing spin. I wouldn't assign malicious intent to it, personally.

I think what they really wanted to get across is that CarPlay is not something they are politically opposed to, unlike Tesla. But how do you say that without saying it?

In this case, they failed to be clear enough in their communication. But again, I think whoever wrote that line figured they'd be changing it in a matter of weeks or a few months.

I'm quite certain when they wrote that line many months ago, even they thought CarPlay was "just around the corner."
Maybe I've just been in the software game too long, but I knew immediately what they meant by "compatible."

"Not done yet."

Disingenuous? deceptive? I think all those interpretations are possible. I think of it more as typical marketing spin. I wouldn't assign malicious intent to it, personally.

I think what they really wanted to get across is that CarPlay is not something they are politically opposed to, unlike Tesla. But how do you say that without saying it?

In this case, they failed to be clear enough in their communication. But again, I think whoever wrote that line figured they'd be changing it in a matter of weeks or a few months.
I work it IT management, so I see the technical interpretation of this, sure... strictly speaking.

But if I tell a customer "your vehicle is compatible with Car Play!", then a reasonable person would be led to believe that Car Play would work. They conveniently left out "in the future". It's fair to assume whatever is advertised on your purchase is available now unless stated otherwise.

I still feel its totally disingenuous to advertise it until it ready and kind of leaves a sour taste for me. They need to change the language to "comparability with Car Play/Android Auto coming in a future update".

I work it IT management, so I see the technical interpretation of this, sure... strictly speaking.

But if I tell a customer "your vehicle is compatible with Car Play!", then a reasonable person would be led to believe that Car Play would work. They conveniently left out "in the future". It's fair to assume whatever is advertised on your purchase is available now unless stated otherwise.

I still feel its totally disingenuous to advertise it until it ready and kind of leaves a sour taste for me. They need to change the language to "comparability with Car Play/Android Auto coming in a future update".
Let me put it this way to you: if they left out CarPlay on the web site completely—just didn't mention it—would that be any more accurate?

You'd be left with the impression that if you bought this car, you'd never get CarPlay. Which is completely false.

As opposed to how it is now, where a small number of customers think they will get CarPlay as soon as they take the car home, but then find out they have to wait an extra month or two for it.

Which is worse?

Obviously, saying "CarPlay in a future update" would have been the best course of action. But taking your notion to the extreme, where "If the car doesn't already have it, don't advertise it", Lucid would then be left with no choice but to not mention CarPlay at all. And tons of customers would be misinformed all the same.

Or, to put it another way: Of 38k reservation holders, at most 4k of them will be "deceived" by the wording on the site, potentially. So far, it's probably more like 3k.

The other 32k+ (and the millions who have visited the site and eventually order Lucids) will have CarPlay when they receive their cars. So how bad is the "deception" really?

Man, I should have gone into marketing…

I presume you meant without exiting the car & doing a sun/rain dance and then entering in? Yup. 100%.

BTW, is there a way to 'turn off' the car when in park. Meaning, wife is $hopping and I need to recline & take a nap and put the car to sleep. Right now, the headlights are on, till I exit the car & turn off.
You should be able to turn off headlights. But why shut down ventilation and AC? I would kid want to do that.

Just lock the doors with the fob or your phone. If you use the fob to lock twice it will turn off the car entirely.
With me sitting inside?

My goal is to turn the headlights off & the pilot panel to save on battery while I'm waiting in the car. If I can do that, that will work too.

Let me put it this way to you: if they left out CarPlay on the web site completely—just didn't mention it—would that be any more accurate?

You'd be left with the impression that if you bought this car, you'd never get CarPlay. Which is completely false.

As opposed to how it is now, where a small number of customers think they will get CarPlay as soon as they take the car home, but then find out they have to wait an extra month or two for it.

Which is worse?

Obviously, saying "CarPlay in a future update" would have been the best course of action. But taking your notion to the extreme, where "If the car doesn't already have it, don't advertise it", Lucid would then be left with no choice but to not mention CarPlay at all. And tons of customers would be misinformed all the same.

Or, to put it another way: Of 38k reservation holders, at most 4k of them will be "deceived" by the wording on the site, potentially. So far, it's probably more like 3k.

The other 32k+ (and the millions who have visited the site and eventually order Lucids) will have CarPlay when they receive their cars. So how bad is the "deception" really?

To me CarPlay is important. I listen to SiriusXM a lot. It’s a real nuisance to have flip around channels on your phone to get things to work.

Personally, I feel Lucid should have included a hardware SiriusXM received in the infotainment system. Cellular service is flaky and satellite radio’s strength is that it just works everywhere.

So to ease use of SiriusXM I really want CarPlay. Of course a nice alternative would be if Lucid had an “App Store” and I could download and install a Lucid compatible SiriusXM app directly.

CarPlay makes driving enjoyable. These are expensive cars. They should be equipped to handle CarPlay.
While I agree that the car should have car play, what makes a car enjoyable to me is handling, speed, vision, etc. I prefer that Lucid prioritize software that affects driving first, then the rest of it. But...different strokes for different folks.

CarPlay OS runs on the car and allows the car to display the apps that run on iOS on the iPhone. It also allows the car to control the phone using the cars controls.

Definition of CarPlay compatible

“You can use it simply by connecting your phone to a compatible vehicle. Once connected, the CarPlay logo will appear somewhere on your display. You'll need to tap it to leave your default car interface and launch CarPlay”

Yes. How do you just turn the headlights off only? I pushed the various buttons on the left screen, but the lights were still on.
You can't!

Yes. How do you just turn the headlights off only? I pushed the various buttons on the left screen, but the lights were still on.
You can't right now

I'm not sure how not is compatible. Not working is not compatible.
Not working would mean it's there but not working. But it's not possible if it doesn't exist...

Which is worse?

What bullshit. If you bought a computer that said "Windows 11 Compatible" took it home and windows would not install. You call tech support and they say we have a bios update coming in the future, when that happens you can install windows. That's ok by this reasoning? It's not a month or 2. Some people are coming up on a year.

What bullshit. If you bought a computer that said "Windows 11 Compatible" took it home and windows would not install. You call tech support and they say we have a bios update coming in the future, when that happens you can install windows. That's ok by this reasoning? It's not a month or 2. Some people are coming up on a year.
Well, my old Mac Intel laptop is technically “Windows 11 compatible.” But when I bought it, what do you know? Windows was nowhere to be found. Those Apple bastards.

Back