Inferring Total Battery Capacity

GMan

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring
Referral Code
60T8OVVK
I have a Touring which according to the information I have seen, has a total battery capacity of 93 kWh.

I took note on one of my recent charges at EA, where I plugged in at 33% SOC and charged to my target of 66% SOC.

Upon completion of the charge, on the EA charging stations screen, it showed total delivered capacity of 33.8 kWh.

If this is the case, it would be an inferred calculation of 3 x 33.8 kWh = 101.4 kWh of total capacity, which is about 10% more than the 93 kWh spec.

Is it possible the kWh capacity of the vehicle is greater than the spec, or is it simply that EA is overstating the amount of kWh delivered?

This is such a great forum. I just stumbled upon the answer to the above question. Here's a link from @Adnillien

It seems there is an expected loss of energy during L2 charging, which answers my question. I'm going to leave the question out there in case anyone else has it in the future.

If 33.8kWh is 33% of your total charge then your total capacity would be:
33.8 x 100/33 = 102.4kWh
Still higher than expected but not quite as bad. I think the difference is due to losses. The charger may have delivered 33.8kWh but your battery may have only actually received 30.7kWh which would be consistent with a 93kWh battery pack

EA is telling you the amount of KW dispensed from the charger, not delivered into the battery. There are heat losses so your calculation is not accounting for those.

Back