I made a video about range.

I really don’t understand how you all could drive 60 mph. In AZ we drive minimum 80 and that hurts the range of the car … 60 you might get pulled over for being too slow

View attachment 18309
Did you watch the video? I set my speed to 65 max. My goal was to go all the way home, knowing I'd be going through the elevation changes, without having to stop and charge. I was never a danger to other cars on the road.

Did you watch the video? I set my speed to 65 max. My goal was to go all the way home, knowing I'd be going through the elevation changes, without having to stop and charge. I was never a danger to other cars on the road.
Pulled over like take you to jail. AZ cops don’t play . Stay above 65 or do time and or tickets

I really don’t understand how you all could drive 60 mph. In AZ we drive minimum 80 and that hurts the range of the car … 60 you might get pulled over for being too slow

View attachment 18309
I drove through AZ going 60 just fine. Not a hooligan!

Pulled over like take you to jail. AZ cops don’t play . Stay above 65 or do time and or tickets
There was no police officer on earth that will pull you over for going 5 miles per hour below the speed limit.

I imposed on myself an experiment today, almost scientific in nature. If I recall correctly one of the requirements of a science experiment is that its results be repeatable. I wanted to see if I could repeat @Bobby’s results.

Today I drove almost 100 miles. OAT was between 62 to 65 degrees F. Elevation change, negligible. Staying in Smooth mode, I set my cruise control at 65 mph, a life imperiling proposition here on the freeways of Southern California. I made a fair go of it anyway, staying mainly in the number three and number four lanes. My efficiency fluctuated between 4.3 to 4.5 miles per kilowatt-hour. On my 19 inch wheels, that kind of efficiency would have gotten me between 482 to 504 miles. Pretty darn close to the GT’s stated 510/516 miles of EPA rated range.

In short, I was pretty impressed.

Attachments

• IMG_2677.jpeg
    IMG_2677.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 49
I ended up needing to work in New Hampshire for the day, so why not try a “real world cold weather” efficiency test? I didn’t want to waste time getting there or on the way home, so I drove from Providence RI to Nashua NH with total disregard for speed limits and help from Waze and my Uniden detector, mostly 75-85mph, occasionally 90+, although there were a handful of slowdowns due to traffic. Ambient temps started at 19F and never went above 30F, 19” wheels at 49 cold PSI, climate set to 70F with heated seat and heated steering wheel. Efficiency was 3.5 mi/kwh in spite of the sub freezing temps and higher speeds, meaning total range in pretty cold temps at real world speeds is still almost 400 miles (3.5 x 112kwh = 392 miles), which is fantastic, and nearly what Edmunds achieved in their supposed real world test in the GT at normal temperatures where they got 430 or something like that. This provides support for the notion that the short-loop range tests these reviewers do are flawed, as they’ll do 6-8 loops of exits and re-entry and getting this heavy car up to speed from a slow down uses a LOT of kW. My “loop” was literally four ramp ups to highway speeds (one to get on the highway there, one to get on the highway back, and then the I95/I93 split near Boston requires slowing down to 25mph then rapid acceleration back to highway speeds to not get killed on the I95 merge). Of course around town efficiency in the Lucid is not all that special, for the very same reasons of getting the car up to any speed from a stop uses more energy than steady highway speed.

Attachments

• IMG_2702.jpeg
    IMG_2702.jpeg
    666.5 KB · Views: 33
Did you warm the car & battery while plugged in prior to leaving? It really helps efficiency in cold weather.

Did you warm the car & battery while plugged in prior to leaving? It really helps efficiency in cold weather.
Actually no, I charged to 80% overnight but when I got into the car in the AM it said battery cold power limited. And on the way back it was cold too as it was 28F when I left for home.

@Bobby I think the only way you were able to achieve this feat is by starting your journey playing Take On Me by A-ha.

EPA is definitely achievable.
This totally agrees with my experience. I drove from Palo Alto to LA weekly. I was on 19-inch wheels, drove 70 mph, and got 4.1, including the climbs over the Diablos and the Tehachapis. At 75, I got 3.6, which was enough to get me to UCLA without a charge. No question that speed is the chief variable. I must note two more that were noticeable: WIND, the way back to PA was always less efficient - no doubt because of the prevailing wind from the NNW; and; WEIGHT, I got much less efficiency with 4 passengers. Keep up the good work and information.

Back