I hate the power rear sunshade controls

JoshG

Verified Owner
Cars
AirT,M3LR,R8,NSX,718 GT4
Am I the only one that frequently raises or lowers the rear side sun shades by accident? I think it's not at all intuitive that the window rocker switches (on driver's door as well as rear passenger doors) also act as the controls for the side shades.

The rear sunshade has a control on the rear screen which makes perfect sense... wish they'd just put the controls for the side shades there as well.

Very odd to tell a passenger, "OK, if you want to control the rear shade, use that simple control on that screen in front of you, but if you want to control the side shades, well, that's not on the screen so you use the window rocker switch which may also raise or lower your window if you don't get it just right".

PLEASE Lucid - just make the rear screen (and the "Openings" screen on Pilot Panel) have a way to control all 3 sunshades, and take that function away from the window control switches on the door.

Last edited:
Am I the only one that frequently raises or lowers the rear side sun shades by accident? I think it's not at all intuitive that the window rocker switches (on driver's door as well as rear passenger doors) also act as the controls for the side shades.

The rear sunshade has a control on the rear screen which makes perfect sense... wish they'd just put the controls for the side shades there as well.

Very odd to tell a passenger, "OK, if you want to control the rear shade, use that simple control on that screen in front of you, but if you want to control the side shades, well, that's not on the screen so you use the window rocker switch which may also raise or lower your window if you don't get it just right".

PLEASE Lucid - just make the rear screen (and the "Openings" screen on Pilot Panel) have a way to control all 3 sunshades, and take that function away from the window control switches on the door.
This is another reason it's so hard to get things right. I love that it's on the physical switch and not on the screen. Window is up, pull up to bring shade up. Shade is up, push down all the way to put it down. I've never had an issue and my 8 year old kids know how to use it after explaining it once.

This is another reason it's so hard to get things right. I love that it's on the physical switch and not on the screen. Window is up, pull up to bring shade up. Shade is up, push down all the way to put it down. I've never had an issue and my 8 year old kids know how to use it after explaining it once.
Yea it doesn’t seem that complicated. How can you get it wrong. If the shade is up and you push down, it’s not like the shade will stay up and the window will go down. And vice versa if shade is down and you pull up, the shade goes up, there’s no confusion there either

I've activated the rear side windows' sunshades by accident when I roll down the driver's window while driving, then hit the wrong window switch to roll it back up. Or when I hear a little wind noise and want to make sure the back windows are fully rolled up.

I'm with you. I find the controls incredibly intuitive. And I hate that the rear window shade requires a trip to the "openings" screen, which I otherwise would never use.

But did they explain it to you or you to them? ;)

I've activated the rear side windows' sunshades by accident when I roll down the driver's window while driving, then hit the wrong window switch to roll it back up. Or when I hear a little wind noise and want to make sure the back windows are fully rolled up.
Yes this is what I keep doing as well. And just seems odd there’s a completely different interface for rear shade and side shades.

Well, I guess it’s a pretty fantastic car when this is what people are complaining about.
Hmmm. Don’t get me wrong, I love the car overall but still felt it might be ok here to state a quirk that drives me crazy. Conversation starter. Interesting to see that others like it as is. Will live with it and see if I and my passengers feel differently after a while.

Not sure I deserve to be mocked for pointing out my preference or annoyance with one small part of the UI.

But ok, will think twice before pointing out other things that I don’t like about this otherwise very good vehicle. I do love my lucid and have learned a lot from this helpful community.

Hmmm. Don’t get me wrong, I love the car overall but still felt it might be ok here to state a quirk that drives me crazy. Conversation starter. Interesting to see that others like it as is. Will live with it and see if I and my passengers feel differently after a while.

Not sure I deserve to be mocked for pointing out my preference or annoyance with one small part of the UI.

But ok, will think twice before pointing out other things that I don’t like about this otherwise very good vehicle. I do love my lucid and have learned a lot from this helpful community.
Hm, I think you may have taken that wrong.

Bobby wasn’t mocking you; quite the opposite. Its honestly quite refreshing to see someone who likes the car so much that a small issue like this is worth posting about.

Wasn’t meant as a slight.

I’m sorry if you felt that I was mocking you. I was just adding a little levity to the conversation. if you read this forum a year ago, you’d see page after page of legitimate bugs, battery failures, and other pressing issues. Now, it’s about sunshades. I was merely saying that the car has come a long way if this is what we are currently talking about.

It's slow and sometimes I just want the windows down right now!
But I don't "hate" them and it's something simple that friends and family get impressed about.

Hm, I think you may have taken that wrong.

Bobby wasn’t mocking you; quite the opposite. Its honestly quite refreshing to see someone who likes the car so much that a small issue like this is worth posting about.

Wasn’t meant as a slight.
I see now. Thanks. All good. 👍 Now maybe I will move on to the terrible cup holders and too-short turn signal stalk that causes me to swipe the wipers half the times I engage or disengage the turn signals. 🤗

I see now. Thanks. All good. 👍 Now maybe I will move on to the terrible cup holders and too-short turn signal stalk that causes me to swipe the wipers half the times I engage or disengage the turn signals. 🤗
How about the wireless phone charger that strangles the phone and doesn't even charge? 😂

How about the wireless phone charger that strangles the phone and doesn't even charge? 😂
My phones come out of those slots like freshly baked cookies where it's too hot to handle but I must eat it now! There are all these little quirks that I wish were different but if those are the things that I complain about, then the car is the best I still ever owned.

Ok. Since we are talking about the most important fixes for the Lucid Air … 😀 … here are my thoughts

1) the rear shade coming down then up automatically every time I back up is annoying. I wish I could turn that off. With all the cameras, i really dont look out my back window so the shade should stay put.
2) i wish on the driver door, i could manually put all three shades up or down.

I've had the same thing happen a few times. Part of the reason is that the driver's window switches are a bit farther forward on the armrest than in any other vehicle I've owned, and I occasionally still hit a rear window switch when I intend to operate a front window. But it doesn't really bother me.

The turn signal stalk is also farther away from the wheel than in other cars I've owned, something which has drawn the attention of several auto journalists. I sometimes wonder how big the person is who made these design decisions. Then I remember that Zak Edson, a Lucid VP, is 6'6" tall and that Lucid put a 6'10" guy in the third row of the Gravity to demonstrate its room. Maybe they just grow 'em taller in bear country.

One feature I can think of is to use both rear window switches to control rear sunshade. For example if both rear windows are closed and you pull up both rear switches simultaneously then it would raise the rear window sunshade. This would eliminate the need to go to the screen. On the other hand it would not allow to control rear doors sunshades at the same time. One would have to raise/lower each side separately. That could be reasonable compromise.

One feature I can think of is to use both rear window switches to control rear sunshade. For example if both rear windows are closed and you pull up both rear switches simultaneously then it would raise the rear window sunshade. This would eliminate the need to go to the screen. On the other hand it would not allow to control rear doors sunshades at the same time. One would have to raise/lower each side separately. That could be reasonable compromise.
But what if there's only one person in the back?

Back