I am annoyed. Here is what Lucid needs to do.

rlhyde

Cars
2022 White Lucid Air GT
1) Be honest about their cars. Apparently they have a 12 Volt issue that is leaving some owners stranded, with the cars needing to be towed. They need to be honest and say something like "yes, we have an issue with the 12 volt batteries not charging. We are aware of the issue and we are working on it. It appears to take place when [explain]." Instead Lucid has not explained that they are even aware of the problem, much less that they are working on a fix. This is bad business, especially because it leaves the problems in the hands of speculation and guessing, which is worse than any truth they are avoiding.

2) Be honest about their cars. In their advertising material Lucid says they are compatible with CarPlay, but they are clearly not. Many people have an anecdotal story about how Lucid is "about to release" an update that supports CarPlay. Even my Lucid advisor promised me CarPlay would be available "by the end of the year" and said he really thinks CarPlay will enhance the car. There is also a picture, that may or may not be Photoshopped, that appears to have CarPlay running on one of their cars. Is this legitimate? No one seems to know.

3) Be honest about their cars and actually tell owners what their updates provide, if anything. They have a lot to fix, and as far as I can tell their updates don't really do anything to address the issues.

While there are certainly things to be annoyed about, I am sure Lucid has a pretty sharp legal team that guides them on what statements are permissible versus those that could potentially cause them a serious legal headache. Of course they are working their asses off to remedy the 12v issue, but they cannot just release statements that could potentially cause even greater problems. Everyone wants to hear a final verdict on the 12v issue , but we have nooooo idea what goes on behind the scenes, especially when it comes to complex regulatory issues for reporting problems, etc.

1. The 12v issue is not a widespread issue, and is limited to a few cars thus far. For example, in the many many cars in the Bay Area, only one has had the issue. Also, the 12v failures are a symptom, not the cause. Those batteries are not failing and have not required replacement. At some point if it becomes a widespread issue, they will do a recall as they’ve done for *much* more minor things, like the wiring harness that affected almost nobody.

2. CarPlay is done and working, and I found out through the grapevine that it’s even in the cars but turned off (same with Android Auto). The holdup appears to be Apple’s certification process, not the engineering or software teams at Lucid. If you want to get mad at anyone, get mad at Apple. :)

3. The updates have pretty specific release notes, but there have been a string of recent updates that have had no functional impact (things you would notice) and are instead prep for the “big” 2.0 release that is upcoming.

Don’t see anything here to be upset about 🤷‍♂️

Getting issues while editing, so a follow up post: to be clear, the 12v batteries haven’t needed replacement. The HV batteries have, on those cars where 12v failure presents as a symptom.

If it were up to Lucid, CarPlay would be released “yesterday.” But they have to follow the rules and process, so we are all waiting on that.

2. CarPlay is done and working, and I found out through the grapevine that it’s even in the cars but turned off (same with Android Auto). The holdup appears to be Apple’s certification process, not the engineering or software teams at Lucid. If you want to get mad at anyone, get mad at Apple. :)
You know, the Android folks have been conspicuously less strident in hoping for Android Auto to be implemented. Just because Apple has thrown a spanner in the works shouldn't mean that the Android Redheaded Stepchildren should be punished. Just sayin'....

1) Be honest about their cars. Apparently they have a 12 Volt issue that is leaving some owners stranded, with the cars needing to be towed. They need to be honest and say something like "yes, we have an issue with the 12 volt batteries not charging. We are aware of the issue and we are working on it. It appears to take place when [explain]." Instead Lucid has not explained that they are even aware of the problem, much less that they are working on a fix. This is bad business, especially because it leaves the problems in the hands of speculation and guessing, which is worse than any truth they are avoiding.

2) Be honest about their cars. In their advertising material Lucid says they are compatible with CarPlay, but they are clearly not. Many people have an anecdotal story about how Lucid is "about to release" an update that supports CarPlay. Even my Lucid advisor promised me CarPlay would be available "by the end of the year" and said he really thinks CarPlay will enhance the car. There is also a picture, that may or may not be Photoshopped, that appears to have CarPlay running on one of their cars. Is this legitimate? No one seems to know.

3) Be honest about their cars and actually tell owners what their updates provide, if anything. They have a lot to fix, and as far as I can tell their updates don't really do anything to address the issues.
@rlhyde : I hear what you are saying and it is not my goal to minimize it from your POV. You are 100% correct, from where you stand.

However, Lucid defines the narrative, They have a LOT at stake - literally billions of dollars and one wrong message / email / text / etc can send them spiraling down. We have proof on this very forum. (Example: a post by Barry was misquoted. Different DAs giving different reasons for delays in the earlier days. Members getting randomly chosen for cancelations. And the list goes on.)

So, if they were to be 'honest' about all of the things you quoted & more, Lucid will be in a world of trouble. And it *will* impact us all - the owners. Unlike Tesla, which has always had a 'golden child' status & The Carnival Barker can do no wrong attitude, Lucid does not have that CEO persona in Rawlinson.

Right now, to their credit, they have been *OUTSTANDING* in their service calls (barring a few people here); but in general, they have bent over backwards to help the customer out.

I shall refrain from adding any further, since others have already spoken. As others have said above, be patient. And that is subjective I agree as well.

Cheers

You know, the Android folks have been conspicuously less strident in hoping for Android Auto to be implemented. Just because Apple has thrown a spanner in the works shouldn't mean that the Android Redheaded Stepchildren should be punished. Just sayin'....

Attachments

• 200.gif
    200.gif
    643.9 KB · Views: 103
Lol, I actually don’t disagree with you, but I think they’re trying to avoid people being up in arms if they turn on Android Auto and not CarPlay. It’s easier to make people wait than piss off half (or more) of your customers, maybe.

But only Lucid has stats on their distribution of customers with Android vs Apple

I am sensitive to the Android people, and I am certainly not suggesting "that the Android Redheaded Stepchildren should be punished." The Android people have every right to an upgrade as well. I only mentioned CarPlay because that is what I am familiar with, and consequently that is what annoys me, personally.

As for the battery issues, I understand that this is not a widespread issue, and for that I am glad. What annoys me is that I really want to start traveling longer distances with the Lucid Air but I worry that I will get hit by this problem one day when I am three states away, for example. If Lucid told us what the issue is, what cars it affects, etc., that would be really useful.

I am sensitive to the Android people, and I am certainly not suggesting "that the Android Redheaded Stepchildren should be punished." The Android people have every right to an upgrade as well. I only mentioned CarPlay because that is what I am familiar with, and consequently that is what annoys me, personally.

As for the battery issues, I understand that this is not a widespread issue, and for that I am glad. What annoys me is that I really want to start traveling longer distances with the Lucid Air but I worry that I will get hit by this problem one day when I am three states away, for example. If Lucid told us what the issue is, what cars it affects, etc., that would be really useful.
How many miles do you have on the car? Fwiw, I and many others have done tons of road trips with no issues. The failures are over represented in the forum because, generally, people don’t post “my car… still works well.” Lol

How many miles do you have on the car? Fwiw, I and many others have done tons of road trips with no issues. The failures are over represented in the forum because, generally, people don’t post “my car… still works well.” Lol
I hope you are right.

And I hope I am not giving the impression that I dislike the car. Actually, the opposite is true. I love the car, and I really want to take it on some long road trips. I just wish I knew what to expect. I want to know that the car is reliable. I don't want to be in the middle of nowhere and have an issue. And I want Lucid to tell us what is going on instead of us having to guess and speculate.

And I only have 400 miles on the car.

I would just assume the car is reliable until it isn't. Name me a single car that hasn't had issues or catastrophic breakdowns?

I hope you are right.

And I hope I am not giving the impression that I dislike the car. Actually, the opposite is true. I love the car, and I really want to take it on some long road trips. I just wish I knew what to expect. I want to know that the car is reliable. I don't want to be in the middle of nowhere and have an issue. And I want Lucid to tell us what is going on instead of us having to guess and speculate.

I have 7,000 miles on my GT. Not a single issue. It has not visited the delivery/service center in Scottsdale since I picked it up in May.

I hope you are right.

You're totally fine re: impressions or anything else. Totally reasonable to be concerned! Think of it this way: if you hadn't read these forums, you'd be out there having a blast, expecting nothing but wonderful reliable driving, and that is still *technically* the case. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.

Occasionally, cars fail; engines break, motors get wonky, tires fall off, etc. In most cases (including this one), these are unusual occurrences that don't represent the *vast* majority of owners' experiences.

Will yours fail? I have no idea. But I wouldn't assume it will; it probably won't. Can it? Sure. Will it? *Probably* not.

Side note, almost every EV OEM has had an issue crop up with 12v batteries for various reasons. I can’t see a post exaggerating an issue is a great way to build a proper story around the reality of the situation. This issue is not widespread although some other issues are.

If anything, it’s actually a pretty exciting time considering the bumpy start. We’re actually seeing the fruits of progress.

I feel your pain regarding Lucid's lack of sunshining issues and sharing what they are doing about it. However, on the issue(s) with batteries, you should know that each EV manufacture is currently having this problem, based on my research into this topic. It is not unique to Lucid. I just picked up my car yesterday in Seattle and had a chance to discuss this with the Service Center's manager. What I learned is the battery issue, with cars just shutting down, is do to various reasons. EVs, in general, have many layers safety systems which protect the car, its various electrical systems and the massive battery pack. If a problem occurs with something within any lay of the safely system, will result in the car shutting down. Apparently, if I understood things correctly, Lucid is not seeing any one subsystem as the problem or "weak link". Instead, just about each situation has been different. A loose connection, a faulty capacitor, a module in the Wunderbox, one of the battery packs failing, etc., etc., etc. EV are such complex beasts and every manufacture, including the one who has been doing this the longest (Tesla) are having these problems. Fortunately, overall, these issues do not happen with most indidivual EV cars on the road, but when it does....Grrrrrrrr.

I feel your pain regarding Lucid's lack of sunshining issues and sharing what they are doing about it. However, on the issue(s) with batteries, you should know that each EV manufacture is currently having this problem, based on my research into this topic. It is not unique to Lucid. I just picked up my car yesterday in Seattle and had a chance to discuss this with the Service Center's manager. What I learned is the battery issue, with cars just shutting down, is do to various reasons. EVs, in general, have many layers safety systems which protect the car, its various electrical systems and the massive battery pack. If a problem occurs with something within any lay of the safely system, will result in the car shutting down. Apparently, if I understood things correctly, Lucid is not seeing any one subsystem as the problem or "weak link". Instead, just about each situation has been different. A loose connection, a faulty capacitor, a module in the Wunderbox, one of the battery packs failing, etc., etc., etc. EV are such complex beasts and every manufacture, including the one who has been doing this the longest (Tesla) are having these problems. Fortunately, overall, these issues do not happen with most indidivual EV cars on the road, but when it does....Grrrrrrrr.
Thank you for the reply. And I understand what you are saying and even agree that it may not be the fault of Lucid. I just want Lucid to admit that publicly and simply say "we are working on it." I don't feel it is too much ask a company that took this much money from us to be honest with us instead of leaving us in the dark.

Reactions: DJL
Thank you for the reply. And I understand what you are saying and even agree that it may not be the fault of Lucid. I just want Lucid to admit that publicly and simply say "we are working on it." I don't feel it is too much ask a company that took this much money from us to be honest with us instead of leaving us in the dark.
I really don't understand...

The 12v battery thing is not an issue, yet, at least not to the point where it is a campaign or a recall. Remember the bolt torque campaign? Or the wiring harness or suspension recall? Obviously, the battery issue is not a widespread issue otherwise there would be a campaign or a recall to address it. There's no need for any public acknowledgement with this problem because it's unique to individual cars.

CarPlay/Android Auto - they've already publicly addressed it saying it's coming soon and they have been working on it.

Release notes - may not be up to the detail you want, but they do tell you what each one is addressing. I'd say the majority of people don't need the nitty gritty of what was fixed in the release notes. Yes, I understand some people would like that info, but some of that could be proprietary hence the necessity foe vagueness.

Crafting release notes is a fine art. Some feel it should simply be a list of everything the developers did since the last version. This would be incomprehensible to most people. Others view it as a marketing opportunity. Some like to write witty stories that are only tangentially connected to what's in the update. Others consider it a nuisance and just don't bother to write anything descriptive. (We've all seen those annoying apps that just say "We regularly release improvements and enhancements to our app to improve your experience.")

The best release notes, of course, are none of the above. The right way to do it is to have someone on the dev team take the technical jargon provided in the commit message history and translate that into plain language for the masses.

This is harder than it looks. It also takes time. How much time do you think the average Lucid dev has for creative writing these days?

From what I've seen of Lucid's release notes, they do better than most. When you see an update that just says something to the effect of "enhancements for future features" take them at their word. In other words, you'll download this update and feel like nothing has changed, if all goes according to plan. But under the hood, the software is ready for something it will need down the line. It's not important for you to know what just yet.

The fact of the matter is almost no one reads release notes anymore. Whether that's the cause or the effect is up for debate.

We press "update" on so many gadgets so often that most people have learned to just trust the system and press without checking. And then there are those few of us who like to dig in and see what might be new and shiny. I feel your pain. I love these gritty details, too.

From what I've seen so far, Lucid tells you when there's something you'll notice has changed. Otherwise, they say little, which means you can expect little. But that doesn't mean the update wasn't critical to something behind the scenes.

Back