How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

• 100% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • 90% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • 80% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 108 38.8%
  • 70% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 96 34.5%
  • 60% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • 50% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 40% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 30% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Well said---but for those of us who have never owned an EV, the lesson that's coming through loud and clear is that variations in driving conditions have a drastically greater impact on EV mileage than on ICE mileage.

Given all the fanfare to the contrary on the net and YouTube, I'm grateful to be learning this reality here.
I think if you were thinking of your ICE in the same way, you'd probably notice a large inefficiency as well. The big difference being that you can just stop for gas when you're low instead of having to plan around your SOC.

I think the biggest misconception that I've seen here is that the Lucid will achieve EPA number because they are more efficient.
I am being thrown by my Tesla experience. I would often be under EPA, but I would also hit EPA if I drove especially gingerly in good conditions. I have yet to get better than 75% in the Lucid.

Also, Lucid IS claiming it is more efficient because it's EPA / battery size is significantly better than Tesla's EPA / batter size. I am assuming they are both doing the same EPA test method.

Regardless, I'll stop flooding this thread and report back if I figure anything out.

I am being thrown by my Tesla experience. I would often be under EPA, but I would also hit EPA if I drove especially gingerly in good conditions. I have yet to get better than 75% in the Lucid.

Also, Lucid IS claiming it is more efficient because it's EPA / battery size is significantly better than Tesla's EPA / batter size. I am assuming they are both doing the same EPA test method.

Regardless, I'll stop flooding this thread and report back if I figure anything out.
They claimed it and it got proven in 2 different test by 2 independent testers though...

As one who is using the delays of "production hell" as a trial period of several months to sift through the real-world feedback of new owners, I'll hope for more and more of that feedback, then factor it in with my own tolerance for risk when the time comes to put up, or walk away.

This of course involves feedback on more than range--softwear glitches, fit/finish quality, etc etc

I'll stay tuned, with gratitude to those providing their real experiences

I will be doing a 1300 mile trip at the end of May from Florida to NYC to CT. Since I will have a passenger with me, I hope to document our range per segment (charging intervals) along with as many variables as I can measure. My car only has 400 miles on it and it’s sitting in a garage, basically till I’m ready to pick it up and head north. So I won’t have the benefit of the mysterious break in period but will report back. I did a short 100 mile trip and averaged 3.5Kwh. Any suggestions on what variables you’d like me to experiment with are appreciated. I was going to start with speed, temperature, wind, A/C, and maybe elevation although that should be minor.

They claimed it and it got proven in 2 different test by 2 independent testers though...
Then the only conclusion I can draw is there is something wrong with my car. If they used my car in their exact test, I do not believe it would perform the same. I will bow out of this thread, it isn't helping me figure out what may be wrong and likely getting in the way of other conversations.

Well, where else are you going to test your thoughts/theories? That's what this place is for. I might object to what you wrote and give my thoughts but that's why we're all here right?

If they used my car in their exact test, I do not believe it would perform the same
If the alleged break-in period is true, I agree. I don't remember Tom stating the odometer reading but Edmunds said 9,000 miles was on their car. My hope is that when the two San Diegans (@Bill55 and @Sandvinsd) drive their cars cross country, we'll see something. I think Bill wrote he has almost 4k miles on his.

@borski has reported that several NorCal owners are reporting 4+ miles/kwh so it is achievable - we just don't know why some are reporting 2.X while others get 4.X. Manufacturing tolerances? Some cars get "loose" faster than others? We know cold temps greatly impact range for EVs.

Then the only conclusion I can draw is there is something wrong with my car. If they used my car in their exact test, I do not believe it would perform the same. I will bow out of this thread, it isn't helping me figure out what may be wrong and likely getting in the way of other conversations.
I have been unable to achieve anything near the Inside EVs or the Edmonds results even driving 65 MPH on level roads at 68 degrees outside. I also would like to understand why I am seeing results lower than expected. If we understand it, we can predict it and calculate a better range estimate for any given drive.

Driving long distances, the Charging speed, and battery capacity are more important than efficiency. Based on my experience a 5-10% efficiency number becomes irrelevant in a car that charges 10% faster. I chose the Performance over the Range for the simple reason that with just a ten-minute stop along the way I can make my DEP go further than a Range. I am having a hard time understanding what problem are we all trying to solve.? I enjoy reading up about people who passed up the opportunity of driving a car with great dynamics because they did not want to charge for ten minutes on a 6-hour 500-mile trip.

I'm on the latest update, for the person who was asking.

I regularly drive down to the San Diego area several times a year. It is 436 miles between houses, which is why I got the GT. I have been doing these mini tests to try and figure out how to drive best for range. I have been getting good averages, but realize that probably won't be true on a trip with a full car, though it seems like one stop - most likely just before the grapevine - should get me through easily. We shall see. Either way, it will definitely be better than in my Model S. I expect, with the speed it recharges, that I'll be able to cut at least 1.5 hrs off my normal time.

No need to do that, how many miles are on your car already? I just reached 5k!

So one thing I discovered today that very clearly will impact range is non=driving drain. I was traveling most of the week, and I did not have the car plugged in during that time. When I left this morning, the range was 328 versus 360 or so when I left. As result, on my 'Since Last Charge' stats, I only had 2.1 for my "trip" since it was including 30+ miles of lost range with no distance traveled in the calculation. This also helps explain why it's so low in the initial miles of my trip since I think I lose around 4-5 miles of range a day when not charging.

This may have been obvious to most of you, but it was a bit of a revelation for me :).
The Mercedes EQS has a start button. I don't know if this accounts for it's much lower energy bleed but most of the systems are off until "started".

The Mercedes EQS has a start button. I don't know if this accounts for it's much lower energy bleed but most of the systems are off until "started".
When are you going to give us a detailed rundown between the two!?!!

When are you going to give us a detailed rundown between the two!?!!
Ok, well the AMG EQS is having radar detector, window tint, XPEL film and ceramic coating installed so I have very little time behind the wheel.

First impressions:
  1. I like the looks of the Lucid interior better but the EQS is more functional for the non-minimalist. It has hard buttons for door locks, steering wheel adjustment etc.
  2. I like the start button. I know many will disagree but the major systems stay off until it's pressed.
  3. Minor issue that Lucid can fix, if on the phone and you open the door, the bluetooth link terminates in the EQS and doesn't turn on until you press the start button, I think.
  4. I LOVE the HUD in the EQS. Lots of useful data including turns from the NAV system.
  5. All of the screens start up very fast and all software works and is responsive in the EGS.
  6. The EQS has working Wi-Fi Android Auto and Car Play.
  7. The EQS has SirrusXM radio.
  8. The "Hey Mercedes" voice response system works very well and can control a lot of the car systems like Lucid is trying to do with Alexa.
  9. The EQS does not have a frunk but has a large hatchback with fold down rear seats.
  10. A little thing, but the EQS charge port is where the gas cap normally is and you just push to open. No touch point and waiting for the motor to open the door.
  11. The cabin lights in the EQS are integrated into blind-spot and other warning systems to turn red when appropriate.
  12. The steering wheel buttons on the EQS feel much more crisp and solid.
  13. The EQS uses the paddle shifter to control the regen braking and it comes in handy in traffic.
  14. I do not like the brake pedal feel of the EQS with the regen turned off. I like being able to turn regen completely off.
  15. The EQS is more quiet, both road noise and engine.
  16. The EQS does not come with a 220V charge cable.
  17. The EQS has a better NAV system and better maps but still not as good as Android Auto and Google maps.
  18. The EQS is very fast but the DE just keeps pulling and pulling until you stop!!
That's all I have for now. It will be a week or so before I get the EQS back and have time to drive it more.

Last edited:
After I get my car, I might ask for a driving lesson when you are in SD.
You've got to learn to ride the hills! I am looking forward to driving around North County with this car. I expect it will be fun.

If the alleged break-in period is true, I agree. I don't remember Tom stating the odometer reading but Edmunds said 9,000 miles was on their car. My hope is that when the two San Diegans (@Bill55 and @Sandvinsd) drive their cars cross country, we'll see something. I think Bill wrote he has almost 4k miles on his.

@borski has reported that several NorCal owners are reporting 4+ miles/kwh so it is achievable - we just don't know why some are reporting 2.X while others get 4.X. Manufacturing tolerances? Some cars get "loose" faster than others? We know cold temps greatly impact range for EVs.
Tom said his Lucid had odometer reading of 3000 miles.

I will only put about 1k miles on my Air per year so if the break in period is 9k I may be in a old folks home before I see great results…..

I have been unable to achieve anything near the Inside EVs or the Edmonds results even driving 65 MPH on level roads at 68 degrees outside. I also would like to understand why I am seeing results lower than expected. If we understand it, we can predict it and calculate a better range estimate for any given drive.
As a bystander in this discussion, I see a number of cars that seem to demonstrate acceptable range and others that are not coming close. This makes me remember that each brick of batteries has 600 tiny aluminum straps that connect all of the 300 cells in each brick. Could be that those experiencing extremely poor range may have a brick or two with a bad connection in one or more of their 600 straps? This is why it seems important to keep everyone participating. We will never learn the truth if folks like @milgauss decide to “bow out of this thread”.

Back