How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

• 100% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • 90% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • 80% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 108 38.8%
  • 70% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 96 34.5%
  • 60% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • 50% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 40% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 30% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reviving an old thread as I found this one very helpful as a new owner. Sounds like we've got a lot of new owners recently so maybe we can get some more data.

1000 miles in. I'm average 3.4 mi/kw which is pretty good but not as good as I was expecting.

Mix of highway and city driving. I'm normally averaging 75 on the highway. Temps in the 60's-70's here for most of my ownership. I'm not an aggressive driver in terms of acceleration but do get up into 80 on the highway so I know that's a significant penalty.

Best I've done is 3.7 mi/kw when I'm paying attention and being very gentle on moderate highway driving. Worse is under 2 around the city with lots of rapid acceleration.

Coming from 6 years of EV driving, I'm pretty used to one pedal driving. Though to be fair, the reason I switched was b/c my Model X was pretty bad. 15% penalty for the 22inch wheels, another 15% penalty for SUV on the highway. My range was supposed to be 225 and I usually got closer to 160. Putting me well below 2 on the mi/kw. It was a P90D so math would be 1.8. I guess I should be very happy with my current 3.7 on the Lucid.

I eagerly await the completion of the break in period and will see if it really gets better. I would have expected to be in the 4 range pretty consistently with my driving style.

I'd encourage all the new owners to fill in the survey so we have more data. And for people that have had the car an additional two months to check back in and tell us if the break in period really is a thing.

19” wheels?

Reviving an old thread as I found this one very helpful as a new owner. Sounds like we've got a lot of new owners recently so maybe we can get some more data.

1000 miles in. I'm average 3.4 mi/kw which is pretty good but not as good as I was expecting.

Mix of highway and city driving. I'm normally averaging 75 on the highway. Temps in the 60's-70's here for most of my ownership. I'm not an aggressive driver in terms of acceleration but do get up into 80 on the highway so I know that's a significant penalty.

Best I've done is 3.7 mi/kw when I'm paying attention and being very gentle on moderate highway driving. Worse is under 2 around the city with lots of rapid acceleration.

Coming from 6 years of EV driving, I'm pretty used to one pedal driving. Though to be fair, the reason I switched was b/c my Model X was pretty bad. 15% penalty for the 22inch wheels, another 15% penalty for SUV on the highway. My range was supposed to be 225 and I usually got closer to 160. Putting me well below 2 on the mi/kw. It was a P90D so math would be 1.8. I guess I should be very happy with my current 3.7 on the Lucid.

I eagerly await the completion of the break in period and will see if it really gets better. I would have expected to be in the 4 range pretty consistently with my driving style.

I'd encourage all the new owners to fill in the survey so we have more data. And for people that have had the car an additional two months to check back in and tell us if the break in period really is a thing.

kind of depends on the wheels
I drive 21s, but my daily commute has a horrendous 1800’ elevation change in it - great for out, bad for the way back.

over my 8000 miles I have averaged 3.2

I am waiting for lucid but as EE I can tell you that the motors need no breakin period. Battery by itself should have no breakin period. The efficiency of electrical motor is about 90% at 75% of rated load typically. If you look at all the published data about how speed affects range in tesla, the same curves apply in general. Given your driving pattern I think 3.7 miles per KWh is pretty good I think.

Thanks - so based on the above, what do you think the total range you are averaging in miles?

kind of depends on the wheels
I drive 21s, but my daily commute has a horrendous 1800’ elevation change in it - great for out, bad for the way back.

over my 8000 miles I have averaged 3.2
Sorry. Meant to include that.

I was good and went with the 19” wheels. And left the aero covers on them.

First car I’ve gotten in 30 years without upgraded/ larger wheels. But I learned my lesson with the 22’s on the Model X.

I would think with the mex config and a not aggressive driving style, I should be getting closer to 80-85% of the range estimate.

At 3.4, I’m closer to 74%. Which isn’t far off what I was getting with the model X on 22’s. This is a car, not an SUV. And I’m on much smaller wheels.

I expected a 10-15% relatively improvement in range compared to my X. Meaning I’d get closer to 80% of published range vs the 65-70% of published range I got on my X. Obviously, on an absolute basis, the Lucid is doing great compared to the X.

I am waiting for lucid but as EE I can tell you that the motors need no breakin period. Battery by itself should have no breakin period. The efficiency of electrical motor is about 90% at 75% of rated load typically. If you look at all the published data about how speed affects range in tesla, the same curves apply in general. Given your driving pattern I think 3.7 miles per KWh is pretty good I think.
I agree with you. Which is why I was skeptical of the breaking in period.

However, many people on this thread/ forum have noticed a substantial improvement after 2000-3000miles.

My guess is that improvement either came about because of some software upgrade that happened around the same time. Or else, people’s driving habits improved/ adapted to EV driving around then.

In either case, I’d be out of luck as I’m already an experienced EV driver.

To clarify, I’m getting 3.4. The 3.7 was with me babying the heck out of the car with no traffic. I can’t drive like that on a daily basis.

Could be that the BMS learns about balancing battery cells and their capacity over time, so the effective battery capacity increases a little bit as that happens. Other than that, I think any increase in range would be just from initial mechanical wear reducing drive train frictional losses - hard to believe that would make much difference.

I agree with you. Which is why I was skeptical of the breaking in period.

However, many people on this thread/ forum have noticed a substantial improvement after 2000-3000miles.

My guess is that improvement either came about because of some software upgrade that happened around the same time. Or else, people’s driving habits improved/ adapted to EV driving around then.

In either case, I’d be out of luck as I’m already an experienced EV driver.

To clarify, I’m getting 3.4. The 3.7 was with me babying the heck out of the car with no traffic. I can’t drive like that on a daily basis.
I never had a break in period, but I was also early on in production. Over 12k miles, I'm averaging 3.1 mi/kwh and that is pretty good. I don't pay attention to anything when I drive and the car had enough range to do whatever you want. DEP 21" wheels, no aero covers.

I am approaching 1000 miles after 3 weeks. I find with my driving profile I can achieve 3.6 very easily. I have been able achieve 4.0 on a 100 mile round trip with some elevation change ( around 500 ft, I believe). It was mostly freeway (around 85 miles with 15 miles being country roads (50 mph) with a couple of stops. The 3.6 is a mix of freeway, country roads and a little city mixed in. I typically keep within 5 to 10 mph of speed limit on freeways and country roads. I will be taking a 3000 mile trip to Denver from Western Washington for Thanksgiving, going over the Rockies, anticipating cold weather. I will report how each leg (three days there and three, maybe 4 days back) when I return. All on 19 inch wheels. Fingers crossed for no snow....

Lucid service has consistently told me the motors actually have some internal resistance which loosens up by 2500 miles and that’s when you see the mi/kWh improvement. In New England we don’t have many mountains but a lot of up and down hills combined with very short uphill highway on-ramps requiring aggressive acceleration if you want to make the merge without getting killed. Here’s a pic of my efficiency, I’ve got 9,200 miles on the car now so it’s likely already passed the early battery degradation that occurs.

I did a test the other night charging to 100% then did a loop near my job at mostly 72mph, it was 48 degrees out so it reflects temperature impacting efficiency, climate set to 68, fan speed 2. Elevation change was about 350 feet but it was a lot of up and down on small hills (that’s the elevation map pic on ABRP). Since “last charge” is the entire loop twice, “trip A” is the loop once minus just the initial on-ramp to the interstate (I reset the trip after being on the interstate for a couple miles at 72mph). Trip B was my average of just driving however the hell I want in a mix of all conditions. This test was to look into the impact of on-ramps on efficiency, as it takes quite a bit of power to get this car up any hill and I was curious how much, given winter is coming and range will get worse. For reference I’ve gotten 4.0 mi/kWh in 70ish degree weather on a flatter surface at 60-75 mph over a 400 mile stretch in line with Kyle’s inside EVs test. I also drove to the Boston airport from Providence and reset the trip after getting up to 72mph and got 4.5 mi/kWh! All pics are included.

Attachments

• AEA3E9AA-C15C-4846-9E18-25993E6967DA.jpeg
    AEA3E9AA-C15C-4846-9E18-25993E6967DA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 71
  • 0ADCAA38-F10E-47F7-8B2E-4EBFB03A8F1E.jpeg
    0ADCAA38-F10E-47F7-8B2E-4EBFB03A8F1E.jpeg
    456.2 KB · Views: 71
  • BE2DD431-ECC5-4972-81F4-FFDD9BB3299A.jpeg
    BE2DD431-ECC5-4972-81F4-FFDD9BB3299A.jpeg
    724.2 KB · Views: 69
  • A420ED90-ACFF-4359-936D-0B0D20CFFDE3.png
    A420ED90-ACFF-4359-936D-0B0D20CFFDE3.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 70
Ok- here's another data point: We picked up our new AGT yesterday in Denver (19" wheels, stock). Wanted to take it for a spin (of course), and headed up into the mountains. Total mileage about 300, crazy amount of vertical gain (+/- 10,000 ft with a net gain of about 1,500 ft.). Average on the main highway uphill part of the trip out of Denver was 2.2 m/Kwh, average for the rest was 4.4. Average for the whole trip was 3.4. Average speed on the highway portion was 75+, on the backroads it was 65+, with several interesting high-speed accelerations through passing zones.
But I also have a question for the group: When we picked up the car, the dash was showing 406 miles range at 80% SOC, The car had 20 miles on it, so how was it calculating that mileage? Is there a default figure that they use? Is it based on the EPA range? Is it based on the driving from the detail shop to the studio? Inquiring minds...

Lucid service has consistently told me the motors actually have some internal resistance which loosens up by 2500 miles and that’s when you see the mi/kWh improvement. In New England we don’t have many mountains but a lot of up and down hills combined with very short uphill highway on-ramps requiring aggressive acceleration if you want to make the merge without getting killed. Here’s a pic of my efficiency, I’ve got 9,200 miles on the car now so it’s likely already passed the early battery degradation that occurs.

I did a test the other night charging to 100% then did a loop near my job at mostly 72mph, it was 48 degrees out so it reflects temperature impacting efficiency, climate set to 68, fan speed 2. Elevation change was about 350 feet but it was a lot of up and down on small hills (that’s the elevation map pic on ABRP). Since “last charge” is the entire loop twice, “trip A” is the loop once minus just the initial on-ramp to the interstate (I reset the trip after being on the interstate for a couple miles at 72mph). Trip B was my average of just driving however the hell I want in a mix of all conditions. This test was to look into the impact of on-ramps on efficiency, as it takes quite a bit of power to get this car up any hill and I was curious how much, given winter is coming and range will get worse. For reference I’ve gotten 4.0 mi/kWh in 70ish degree weather on a flatter surface at 60-75 mph over a 400 mile stretch in line with Kyle’s inside EVs test. I also drove to the Boston airport from Providence and reset the trip after getting up to 72mph and got 4.5 mi/kWh! All pics are included.
You have the 19s, correct?

I tend to drive it a bit harder, averaging 80+, which is kinda normal here in SoCal. I always have the AC on, and use Smooth about 80% and Swift the rest. 21” wheels. Average to date is 3.1.

It looks like you and I are getting about the same efficiency: 3.6 on typically drive and 4.0 on mostly freeway. Hmmmm. Very interesting..... I have 19 in wheels

Thanks - so based on the above, what do you think the total range you are averaging in miles?
Based on the math. 3.4x112 battery would be 380. Which to be very clear, is freaking awesome and more than adequate for my regular and road trip use.

Just knowing that Tesla and Lucid are using similar EPA tests and range figures, I was hoping for a big better. Closer to 415-440.

I am approaching 1000 miles after 3 weeks. I find with my driving profile I can achieve 3.6 very easily. I have been able achieve 4.0 on a 100 mile round trip with some elevation change ( around 500 ft, I believe). It was mostly freeway (around 85 miles with 15 miles being country roads (50 mph) with a couple of stops. The 3.6 is a mix of freeway, country roads and a little city mixed in. I typically keep within 5 to 10 mph of speed limit on freeways and country roads. I will be taking a 3000 mile trip to Denver from Western Washington for Thanksgiving, going over the Rockies, anticipating cold weather. I will report how each leg (three days there and three, maybe 4 days back) when I return. All on 19 inch wheels. Fingers crossed for no snow....
Sounds like our driving is pretty similar and your experience is more of what I was hoping/ expecting. An average of 3.6 and being able to achieve 4.0 if I was paying attention and trying to squeeze out some extra range on a trip.

Ok- here's another data point: We picked up our new AGT yesterday in Denver (19" wheels, stock). Wanted to take it for a spin (of course), and headed up into the mountains. Total mileage about 300, crazy amount of vertical gain (+/- 10,000 ft with a net gain of about 1,500 ft.). Average on the main highway uphill part of the trip out of Denver was 2.2 m/Kwh, average for the rest was 4.4. Average for the whole trip was 3.4. Average speed on the highway portion was 75+, on the backroads it was 65+, with several interesting high-speed accelerations through passing zones.
But I also have a question for the group: When we picked up the car, the dash was showing 406 miles range at 80% SOC, The car had 20 miles on it, so how was it calculating that mileage? Is there a default figure that they use? Is it based on the EPA range? Is it based on the driving from the detail shop to the studio? Inquiring minds...
I really appreciate your sharing your mountain trip. I was planning on using 50% effiencency on legs where we will be mostly climbing up over the Rockies. Based on what you achieved, that seems like a reason assumption. Also, I was hoping to get most of the back on the mostly down slope legs with an overall goal in the 3.2 to 3.6 range. It might be possible depending on temperature. I have 19 inch wheels.

In my first almost 1000 miles of mainly in town and some highway driving ( at 55-65 ) I get around 3.5-4.0 depending on the trip.
I have a steep hill to climb , getting back to my house, so I have been pleased.
Last night it was much colder and I had the heater on and averaged about 3.3 with a 20 mile or so drive.
I am pretty impressed with the efficiency and expect it to get better with more use.
I am really curious about the dead of winter when it’s below zero; I suspect mid 2’s will be typical.

Regarding weather. For those of us coming from Tesla's, the cold weather was a massive hit to range. Below 40 and it could be another 30% loss.

500 miles of range is overkill. But part of why I wanted it was knowing that I'd lose 10% doing 80mph on the highway and possibly another 20-30% when the temp dropped. Taking me back down a usable 300. It looks like I'm losing closer to 20% on the highway at 80mph right now.

I have not seen 4.0 and certainly not 4.5.

Will be interesting to see what happens after I get past 2000 miles.

As a related topic, in the SF bay area solar power costs about 6.5 to 7 cents per kWh after the 30% federal tax credit and 25yr life time. For example a 10kw system after tax credit costs close to 20k. At 7 cents for 3 miles with aggressive driving you can enjoy without blinking. BTW the system averages 15000 KWh per year plenty to power a decent sized house top. That is what I did.

Back