How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

• 100% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • 90% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • 80% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 108 38.8%
  • 70% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 96 34.5%
  • 60% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • 50% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 40% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 30% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
That seems really bad, especially for GT and even in those conditions.
Not really to me? It does seem on the lower end, but I think it is somewhat expected. @chinesejpl , what is your drivings style around the city? In addition, city driving uses more energy to accelerate a heavy car from a stop, the heater uses some energy(more than just heated seats) and winter tires tend to be stickier than the range optimized regular AS 19 compound. If it dropped below 2, we would have a problem.

over the last 2 days it's been rainy/wet snow here, about 2-5 degrees celsius, almost all city driving in Vancouver, heater set at 23.5 celsius, A/C off, 19" w/ winter tires and I got 270 kms with the battery going from 80% charge to 10%, which I wasn't very impressed with. I think my computer calculated about 3.2 km/kwh (= 2mi/kwh). I've had my SC check my car several times to see if the range/battery is accurate and they have said everything is functioning correctly. Maybe I just drive overly aggressively, although I do drive in smooth exclusively?
Since this was an average over the last two days, I assume the 3.2 km/kwhr came from the since last charge statistic which includes the drain while car is waking up, warming up and shutting down which can be very significant when it is cold. Did you make a lot of stops where you left the car during this time? If so, then you cannot really conclude much from this two day drive.

over the last 2 days it's been rainy/wet snow here, about 2-5 degrees celsius, almost all city driving in Vancouver, heater set at 23.5 celsius, A/C off, 19" w/ winter tires and I got 270 kms with the battery going from 80% charge to 10%, which I wasn't very impressed with. I think my computer calculated about 3.2 km/kwh (= 2mi/kwh). I've had my SC check my car several times to see if the range/battery is accurate and they have said everything is functioning correctly. Maybe I just drive overly aggressively, although I do drive in smooth exclusively?
What is your speed? You didn't mention that.

First 300 miles in my Air Touring with 20s has resulted in 3.0 miles/kwh. I did use launch control like 3x during that and a 20 minute full throttle attack of some mountain roads and 75-80mph freeway. The rest of the 300 miles was slow acceleration in smooth. I think it's ok for the overall mixed driving. Look forward to seeing where we land with some more normal driving.

Weather conditions - high 40s low 50s in Northern California. No rain yet.

Seasons make a big difference. When the temperature is over 55 I average 3.5-3.8 miles/kwh.
When temperature is below 45 I average 3.0-3.2 miles /kwh under identical driving style and conditions.
When it's really cold it dips below 3.0.

My speed is usually 50-70 km/h but I'd say I average about 20-30km/h due to stop and go traffic. I drive in smooth and am a bit aggressive on the accelerator I guess but I have kids in the car so I'm not racing from stoplight to stoplight.

What I've realized about driving EVs (not just lucid) which is very important for those coming from ICE cars is that different variables have a much larger impact on range on an EV than a ICE. I get that this statement sounds obvious for most EV drivers but despite driving an EV for 8 years now I still get caught off guard about this. Sunny, no wind, 16 celsius and I can get 85-90% of stated range. Add rain and it drops a certain %, add A/C use drops by certain %, colder temps = non-linear % drop, speed over 90 km/h = non-linear % drop, etc and they aren't all necessarily just simply additive. I find some of the kind of like synergistic. If you see the pattern, when you add multiple variables, it becomes very hard to "predict" what your actual range will be and this can be a source of disappointment for EV drivers, myself included.

1 semi-solution would be to plug the car in everyday so it is always at 80% to start and then the above would only be an issue on prolonged trips...

My speed is usually 50-70 km/h but I'd say I average about 20-30km/h due to stop and go traffic. I drive in smooth and am a bit aggressive on the accelerator I guess but I have kids in the car so I'm not racing from stoplight to stoplight.

What I've realized about driving EVs (not just lucid) which is very important for those coming from ICE cars is that different variables have a much larger impact on range on an EV than a ICE. I get that this statement sounds obvious for most EV drivers but despite driving an EV for 8 years now I still get caught off guard about this. Sunny, no wind, 16 celsius and I can get 85-90% of stated range. Add rain and it drops a certain %, add A/C use drops by certain %, colder temps = non-linear % drop, speed over 90 km/h = non-linear % drop, etc and they aren't all necessarily just simply additive. I find some of the kind of like synergistic. If you see the pattern, when you add multiple variables, it becomes very hard to "predict" what your actual range will be and this can be a source of disappointment for EV drivers, myself included.

1 semi-solution would be to plug the car in everyday so it is always at 80% to start and then the above would only be an issue on prolonged trips...

Perhaps this has been addressed. Are you determining m/kWh on since last charge or by trip A or B?

I had a business trip yesterday from upstate NY (just north of Albany) down to White Plains. Dry, temps right around 4. On drive south, I only used heated steering wheel, no seats, no heat. Set cruise at 79 (so 77 IRL). 163.9 miles at 3.1.

On return, temps dropped a few degrees so high-30s. I used heated seats and set temp (driver only) to 84 and level 5. 167.5 miles @ 2.6. Had to stop and charge on way home.

I had a business trip yesterday from upstate NY (just north of Albany) down to White Plains. Dry, temps right around 4. On drive south, I only used heated steering wheel, no seats, no heat. Set cruise at 79 (so 77 IRL). 163.9 miles at 3.1.

On return, temps dropped a few degrees so high-30s. I used heated seats and set temp (driver only) to 84 and level 5. 167.5 miles @ 2.6. Had to stop and charge on way home.
Using AC or Heat really seems to use quite a bit of juice as does high speeds and a heavy foot for me. I hear it is worse in cold weather too.
The highest I have ever gotten is 3.3 but a lot of people here have been getting a much higher range.

Happy holidays, everyone!

With temperatures around 12C (54F) at 06:00 (driving to work), and 17C (63F) at 17:00 (driving home from work) these days, I’ve dropped from 4.844 mi/kWh to 4.834 mi/kWh at 8000 miles.

Attachments

• IMG_1385.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 57
Cold, winter tires, city driving = poor EV efficiency. Isn’t this true for EVs? Lucid is no exception. For some reason a lot of people do think Lucid is highly efficient in all weather conditions. Just read the article from Motor Trend with the Lucid in the cold.

I highly doubt it has anything to do with you driving “aggressively” because it is not like you are launching your car in snow.

Currently I have not found any EVs on the market that is efficient in the cold. Some have more efficient heaters (ie heat pumps) which your Lucid does not. It does appear heat pumps are only efficient in a certain temperature range, but this is debatable.

Last edited:
It was a damp 39 degrees this afternoon, and I drove about 124 miles round trip to North Conway, NH; heat at 72 degrees, but heated seats and steering wheel were also turned on. The road was pretty hilly and speeds varied from 45-65 on the winding roads, slower going through towns. I was impressed that I got 4.3 mi/kWh. I have been using the app to turn the heater in the car on at least 10 minutes before going out on cold days, though, and that has definitely increased the efficiency for the drive.

It was a damp 39 degrees this afternoon, and I drove about 124 miles round trip to North Conway, NH; heat at 72 degrees, but heated seats and steering wheel were also turned on. The road was pretty hilly and speeds varied from 45-65 on the winding roads, slower going through towns. I was impressed that I got 4.3 mi/kWh. I have been using the app to turn the heater in the car on at least 10 minutes before going out on cold days, though, and that has definitely increased the efficiency for the drive.
That is impressive! I have very similar conditions as you and I average 3.6 miles/kwh with 20” wheels. Makes me want to go with 19” wheels! Almost.

With 8k miles on my car now, I don’t care about efficiency anymore. I drive it like my other ice cars. I know it has plenty of range to get me around town even if I get half of the EPA rating.

Happy holidays, everyone!

With temperatures around 12C (54F) at 06:00 (driving to work), and 17C (63F) at 17:00 (driving home from work) these days, I’ve dropped from 4.844 mi/kWh to 4.834 mi/kWh at 8000 miles.
I hope you didn’t expect to elicit any sympathy from this crowd. ;)

For me I think I need to get over launching at stoplights to get good mi/kwh.

Back