How much it cost me for 8,520 miles

Plg

Verified Owner
Cars
Pure - Infinite Black
Today I took a look back at the amount of money spent since purchasing my Lucid last April.

Here it is:
  • 8,520 miles which includes two long road trips totaling 2,600 miles.
  • $11 for charging at a remote location that was not EA.
  • $70 in electricity usage as calculated by my ChargePoint charger that is connected to my electrical service.
I smile every time I pass a gas station.

How many KWhs did you use?
I have averaged 3.6 miles per kWk, so that works out to 2,366 kWh. My location for home charging plays a big role in my cost for charging. Our electric rate is 2.7 cents per kWh.

I have averaged 3.6 miles per kWk, so that works out to 2,366 kWh. My location for home charging plays a big role in my cost for charging. Our electric rate is 2.7 cents per kWh.
My TOU electricity rates are .25 cents per hour and PG&E wants to raise it by 20%!

WOW! 2.7 cents! I think the US average is about 14 cents...
Chelan County PUD in Washington state. If you own an electric car, it is the best place in the country to live.

How is this for some math:
3.6miles/KWh X $3.50/gallon gas / $0.027/KWh = 467 MPG equivalent! THAT is some inexpensive driving!!!

Reactions: Plg
Or ~700 mpg in the land of $6.00/gallon gas.

Reactions: Plg
RIGHT ON! Unfortunately in the real world, when travelling and paying $0.48/KWh at public charging stations, with gas at about $3.25 (on the East Coast today) and at even 4miles/KWH, the equivalent mileage drops to about 30MPG. My Kia gets 35MPG on GAS!

I thought we had it good here in CO with 12 cents and no peak pricing.

RIGHT ON! Unfortunately in the real world, when travelling and paying $0.48/KWh at public charging stations, with gas at about $3.25 (on the East Coast today) and at even 4miles/KWH, the equivalent mileage drops to about 30MPG. My Kia gets 35MPG on GAS!
With all due respect to your Kia, there aren't many roomy 600-1111 hp sedans that get 35mpg!

Okay that public charging rate is horrible.

On the other hand, you also have to factor in home charging, which would be used 95 percent of the time unless you are on long trips. Home charging is much cheaper, for me around 0.09 cents. This brings the average significantly down.

In much of California, off-peak is currently $0.28/kWh, pretty expensive. I'm told the revenue proceeds are used to pay for our nice weather.
For my car, driving style, and current gasoline pricing, this is equivalent to about $0.08 per mile or 75mpg.

Don't forget people that have chargers at their workplace like my hospital-I haven't charged at home in months! The only thing better than cheap is free🙂
I'm willing to bet that in the not-too-distant future, there will be a lot of charges available for free to entice EV owners to shop and spend their money. Slow free chargers will create business.

In much of California, off-peak is currently $0.28/kWh, pretty expensive. I'm told the revenue proceeds are used to pay for our nice weather.
For my car, driving style, and current gasoline pricing, this is equivalent to about $0.08 per mile or 75mpg.
Wow. I shudder to think what the peak rate is...

Wow. I shudder to think what the peak rate is...
In San Diego the peak rate for our EV-TOU5 rate plan is 81.629 cents per kW. We don’t turn much on between 4-9 pm. Of course the gas price is $5.47 per gallon so pick your poison.

Back