How Many KW’s Does The AC Use?

MPawelek

Cars
None
I realize the KW’s used depends on the how hot outside, temperature setting inside and time run but in general with temperatures around 100F has anyone left their AC on while shopping, come back to the Air, and then viewed how much loss has occurred?

-1% I saw, I left AC for 70F maintain on go eat in restaurant and come out 35 minutes later at 2PM I-10W Houston. YMMV

From the Vunderbox video, we know the medium power inverter is 10kW and it is used to power climate control and battery thermal management. The two systwms combined cannot use more than 10kW. A more relevant data point is charging at work when it is hot out. I use a 6kW charger, the charge rate is 17-18 mi/hr which translates to about 4.5kW into the battery. The other 1.5kW is charging and battery cooling loss. When I remotely set the climate control with the interior temperature of 136-140, the charge rate goes to zero, implying that at least 4.5kW is going to climate control. Once the car cools down, it will begin charging the battery again. Hence, the AC will not draw 4.5kW if the car is already cool. I am guessing when it is hot out and the car is cool it draws ~2kW. The service people in Scottsdale agree with this estimate.

My experience for parasitic draw while charging has been 500-600 W.

My very informal estimate for AC at 95 and set to 72 was 1.5-2kWh per hour.

I‘m curious what heating will draw at 20-30 degrees and heating to 70.

I’ve had pretty good luck remote cooling the car to 80 if the interior temp is crazy like it was for me the other day (136F!). I got in the car and it felt ok, then dropped the temp to 70 and drove so it pushed air over the cooling system and it cooled great.

I've been in San Diego so I am in the process of training myself to use the remote cooling. When I remember it is great. Along with the many other software upgrades, an ability to set a time at which you want the car at a certain temperature would be great. App could send you an alert when it going to start heating or cooling to see if you want to adjust the time.

I've been in San Diego so I am in the process of training myself to use the remote cooling. When I remember it is great. Along with the many other software upgrades, an ability to set a time at which you want the car at a certain temperature would be great. App could send you an alert when it going to start heating or cooling to see if you want to adjust the time.
This is a great idea.

It seems to take an inordinate amount of time to cool the car down. If it’s warm out it takes a minute or two for each degrees watching the phone app and sometimes it doesn’t want to go below 80degrees. In contrast my old Tesla model S would take about 5 minutes after enabling the app to reach 75 from usually 100 degrees starting point. I haven’t really tested the app since the update as I haven’t had the car for over a week ( it’s getting new rims and tires after my last double blow out) What scared the hell out of me was I was charging 4 weeks ago at a supercharger and left the dogs in the car. I hit the enable cool timing button and left to grab a sandwich. I checked the app5-10 minutes in and the interior temp had rose to 86! I didn’t trust the app so I rushed out to the car which was about 50 yards away to enable the timing mode a second time and then watched on the phone app as it slowly went down to 80 degrees ( ambient temp was about 90 and sunny, I had set the temp to 73) if you don’t have good phone connectivity you can’t always engage. This is one of the reasons I drove teslas for 7 years as you would not have to worry about remote cooling. I hope the software gets a bit more reliable in this regard

It seems to take an inordinate amount of time to cool the car down. If it’s warm out it takes a minute or two for each degrees watching the phone app and sometimes it doesn’t want to go below 80degrees. In contrast my old Tesla model S would take about 5 minutes after enabling the app to reach 75 from usually 100 degrees starting point. I haven’t really tested the app since the update as I haven’t had the car for over a week ( it’s getting new rims and tires after my last double blow out) What scared the hell out of me was I was charging 4 weeks ago at a supercharger and left the dogs in the car. I hit the enable cool timing button and left to grab a sandwich. I checked the app5-10 minutes in and the interior temp had rose to 86! I didn’t trust the app so I rushed out to the car which was about 50 yards away to enable the timing mode a second time and then watched on the phone app as it slowly went down to 80 degrees ( ambient temp was about 90 and sunny, I had set the temp to 73) if you don’t have good phone connectivity you can’t always engage. This is one of the reasons I drove teslas for 7 years as you would not have to worry about remote cooling. I hope the software gets a bit more reliable in this regard
DO NOT ENABLE REMOTE COOLING until the car has woken up and shows you a status. Then hit turn on and wait until it shows you a turn off. That's my experience and it works 99% of the time as long as I wait. Now the time it takes is another story but...

Interesting observations today while driving in 98 degree heat. When my wife would lower her fan setting, mine would get stronger. I was not in “sync” mode”, just auto mode. The car also seems to randomly shut off the back seat cooling, and when I turned it back on, weirdly it made the front fans blow louder and stronger. There were no points on the 3 hour drive we did today where I was uncomfortable, but the AC system in this car is weird and seems to have a mind of its own. Seems to cool best in auto mode, just pick a temperature and it will do its thing.

Tinting makes such a huge difference. Car out in full sun, outside temp is 111, interior is only 99.

shut off the back seat cooling, and when I turned it back on, weirdly it made the front fans blow louder and stronger.
I noticed this yesterday too. It was strange.

With a week of 90+ degree days in the northeast (VERY unusual for us) I've tried different combinations. When I turn on the AC to blast the foot well it feels nice but it seem to take away so much of the cooling from the top side that it felt too warm so I turned it off for balance.

Back