How long does Lucid continue to update software for free?

Are you sure your garage doesn’t just have worse cell reception?
I guess I'm not sure because whenever I'm anywhere in my house or garage I'm on the home wi-fi. Even when I parked in front of my office on the street I was still on my home wi-fi. When I leave my home for a walk or get away from the house I'm on 5G on my cell phone in most of Saratoga.

I’m still slightly baffled on how little (if at all) they’ve advanced DD Pro since launch. I’ve been questioning if they even have a roadmap for existing hardware here. . .
You do know that HA was added only in 2022, right? Considering the extremely cautious approach Lucid has been taking regarding ADAS, I actually think their progress in adding features has been remarkable.

I guess I'm not sure because whenever I'm anywhere in my house or garage I'm on the home wi-fi. Even when I parked in front of my office on the street I was still on my home wi-fi. When I leave my home for a walk or get away from the house I'm on 5G on my cell phone in most of Saratoga.
Ok now I am confused. I went out to the garage and sat in the car. My cell phone shows 5G and so does CarPlay in the car, but the car itself shows the symbol for wi-fi (the arches) so I guess I don't know why that is the case?? I guess maybe because CarPlay is running through my iPhone which was showing 5G but the car's system is showing wi-fi???

Ok now I am confused. I went out to the garage and sat in the car. My cell phone shows 5G and so does CarPlay in the car, but the car itself shows the symbol for wi-fi (the arches) so I guess I don't know why that is the case?? I guess maybe because CarPlay is running through my iPhone which was showing 5G but the car's system is showing wi-fi???
What provider do you have for your phone? Lucid uses AT&T, and if your provider is different, then there could be different service levels at your area (eg: one provider is worse, one is better).

CarPlay is utilizing cellular, as it always does, and your car is connected to Wi-Fi. Unlike your phone which is either Wi-Fi or cellular, the car can be connected to both simultaneously. So a download can be over LTE while you are showing that you are connected to your Wi-Fi.

...thus far, it would appear updates have always been delivered over LTE....
I thought I've seen OTA-sized (GB) chunks of wifi downloads on my car the couple times I looked, in the few days leading up to the car's offering a software update.

Last edited:
You have (1) email from Lucid Motors' lawyers! 🤣

You're right, but when something promised is not delivered, I wouldn't think paying is fair. For example, I think people would be fine with paying to get level 4 autonomy instead of level 3 (which was promised). However, the real question here is, will customers mind paying for already promised features, even if they are software (in this example, level 3)?
I think we are in agreement. I did say “when it is more complete.” The DDP subscription idea makes sense when it’s paying for maintenance, map updates, training new models, etc. for an existing system - not for features that were announced with the car.

CarPlay is utilizing cellular, as it always does, and your car is connected to Wi-Fi. Unlike your phone which is either Wi-Fi or cellular, the car can be connected to both simultaneously. So a download can be over LTE while you are showing that you are connected to your Wi-Fi.
Android phones can use both cellular and WiFi simultaneously, including switching between mobile calling and Wi-Fi calling (if user turned on) as needed. I don't know about Apple's abilities or lockdowns. See DOJs lawsuit for specifics

Android phones can use both cellular and WiFi simultaneously, including switching between mobile calling and Wi-Fi calling (if user turned on) as needed. I don't know about Apple's abilities or lockdowns. See DOJs lawsuit for specifics
To keep on topic here, when an iPhone is connected to CarPlay, it is using its Wi-Fi radio. It is also using its cellular radio. Cellular communicates with the outside world and Wi-Fi communicates with the car. So, yes, it does use both simultaneously.

To keep on topic here, when an iPhone is connected to CarPlay, it is using its Wi-Fi radio. It is also using its cellular radio. Cellular communicates with the outside world and Wi-Fi communicates with the car. So, yes, it does use both simultaneously.
Actually, it looks like we've moved quite significantly off topic here... :)

To answer the earlier question from Xponents, my cellular provider is Verizon. So if the car is using AT&T then the "arches" on the car would indicate it is using my home wi-fi as I suspected. Not sure why my iPhone is switching in the garage to 5G though since the car is picking up my home wi-fi??

To answer the earlier question from Xponents, my cellular provider is Verizon. So if the car is using AT&T then the "arches" on the car would indicate it is using my home wi-fi as I suspected. Not sure why my iPhone is switching in the garage to 5G though since the car is picking up my home wi-fi??
If CarPlay is in use, your phone will not pick up your home Wi-Fi. That’s because the wireless antenna is being used for CarPlay itself. Your phone will always be on a cellular connection until CarPlay disconnected, at which time it will be able to switch to your home Wi-Fi.

If CarPlay is in use, your phone will not pick up your home Wi-Fi. That’s because the wireless antenna is being used for CarPlay itself. Your phone will always be on a cellular connection until CarPlay disconnected, at which time it will be able to switch to your home Wi-Fi.
I can confirm this, whenever carplay connects and you go to the control center, the wifi icon will be grayed out. This is in effect even when in the garage, which I admit gets very frustrating.

Ok that explains it. CarPlay always comes up as soon as the car is unlocked.

At some point just as we do not have 3G anymore, 4G LTE will be gone. At that point, any software updates can be done by USB and it is entirely possible that USB dongles could be offered by Lucid or like Tesla did, upgrade the CPU boards but not for free. No automaker has ever given free upgrades for the life of the car or even the warranty period.

At the moment / as of when I last checked, updates are delivered only over LTE. Other things (status, commands, etc.) can be delivered over wifi. But the data of the update itself is always delivered over LTE.

No, I don't know why. Yes, I would change that if I had the opportunity, assuming there isn't some crazy context I'm missing.
My recollection is that the owners manual specifically says updates are delivered via Wifi for efficiency when it's enabled. Perhaps that was the intention, but for some reason the implementation favored LTE, the issue with wifi being that if you pull away from your hour house during a download, it will cause a connectivity issue. Shouldn't be a show stopper if coded correctly, mind you.

DD Pro is the obvious exception. It was bought with future functionality built into expectations, so that is an exception.

That said, I don’t suspect they’ll be charging for upgrades / features. I suspect they’ll be charging for connectivity eventually, which will be the only way to get upgrade / features.
Most likely. My comparison would be my Iphone. Apple releases new operating system upgrades that apply to many but not all prior systems. I agree that at some point one should not expect new functionality BUT that should not include DD Pro or any other feature promised but not yet implemented (off the top of my head I can't think of any other).

My recollection is that the owners manual specifically says updates are delivered via Wifi for efficiency when it's enabled. Perhaps that was the intention, but for some reason the implementation favored LTE, the issue with wifi being that if you pull away from your hour house during a download, it will cause a connectivity issue. Shouldn't be a show stopper if coded correctly, mind you.
It would appear that the new OTA system may indeed deliver updates over wifi. The old one did not.

Back