High voltage battery fault

Lucyfamily

Cars
Lucid air
Anyone else’s Lucid stopped working after the recent big update? Update ran just fine and next morning drove to work with car working perfectly. After work, opened the car and saw message “battery system fault” and car shut down. Lucid towed the car and I was informed the problem was “high voltage battery fault”. They couldn’t tell me why this occurred. We just got the car 45 days ago.

Anyone else’s Lucid stopped working after the recent big update? Update ran just fine and next morning drove to work with car working perfectly. After work, opened the car and saw message “battery system fault” and car shut down. Lucid towed the car and I was informed the problem was “high voltage battery fault”. They couldn’t tell me why this occurred. We just got the car 45 days ago.
Has nothing to do with the update. You need your HV battery and/or Wunderbox replaced. Sorry to hear this happened to you.

Totally coincidental with the update, though.

Yeah, they said they will be replacing the battery. Just wondering why this would happen to a basically brand new car :(

Yeah, they said they will be replacing the battery. Just wondering why this would happen to a basically brand new car :(
It's more likely to happen in a brand new car over a car that has had 20k miles on it, since it's a parts/assembly issue.

Has nothing to do with the update. You need your HV battery and/or Wunderbox replaced. Sorry to hear this happened to you.

Totally coincidental with the update, though.
Based on my own recent experience I would say this is not necessarily the case. I had the same warning, and the same initial prognosis (that the HV battery and WunderBox would have to be replaced), but eventually they decided that the fault lay with the AC compressor. It seems the battery system fault can be triggered by various things and the problem can be hard to isolate.

Based on my own recent experience I would say this is not necessarily the case. I had the same warning, and the same initial prognosis (that the HV battery and WunderBox would have to be replaced), but eventually they decided that the fault lay with the AC compressor. It seems the battery system fault can be triggered by various things and the problem can be hard to isolate.
Yup, totally fair. Yours was the first AC compressor issue I’d heard of.

Just happened to me as well.

People have been describing modern electric cars as cell phones on wheels. While not entirely true, we are talking about electronics and electronics usually fail early or last a long time.

People have been describing modern electric cars as cell phones on wheels. While not entirely true, we are talking about electronics and electronics usually fail early or last a long time.
Anything interesting to share on your Genesis GV60 cell phone?

Anything interesting to share on your Genesis GV60 cell phone?
Well...so far it is working pretty well. I haven't cancelled my Lucid reservation yet but I am getting close to doing that. I really like having a HUD. There is a big, bright orange light on the dash that goes on whenever the 12 volt battery needs charging and it then charges it from the battery pack. Amazing what happens when one doesn't have an alternator to do that. Range has not been an issue so far and I have been keeping it charged between 20-80%. I have a very bad left hip and getting in and out of the GV60 is a delight and the Lucid would be difficult (I was supposed to have a replacement next week but it has been postponed till the end of February). The easy in and out feature helps a lot. It seems to me that it would be an easy software thing for Lucid: the car already can move the steering wheel and seat so it just needs appropriate direction (I think).

Unlike Lucid and Tesla, the GV60 uses a blended brake pedal and I have been using it in the lowest automatic regen setting. That seems to work better than one pedal driving and is close to traditional driving with a realistic brake pedal feel. Since I got the car I have been averaging 3.0 miles per KWH. The car does real well in local driving but struggles on efficiency on the highway (driving 75 of course) only getting around 2.7 there. Doing pure local driving I have been getting around 3.4 to 3.5. Either way...I drive it like I don't care about range.

One nice feature is that the HUD shows two lane lines. if a car is in my blind spot, there is a red blob at the base of the lane line on the appropriate side. I still have multiple other ways to tell (like looking...duh) but this is a pretty cool initial way.

I also like having satellite SXM which I have had for many years and am used to having.

Many would not like how small the car is (on the exterior). I on the other hand like that. I prefer a smaller car and the Lucid Air is at the extreme end sizewise of what I would be willing to drive.

I do miss the handling of my prior BMW and the Lucid: a SUV simply doesn't handle in the turns like a well tuned sedan.

I made the jump, you may recall, because it became available and Lucid still hadn't released the specs of the RWD that I have reserved. Lucid still hasn't done that. I think I have concluded that there can only be one of two reasons why Lucid won't release the specs of the RWD Pure: (1) it is so good that they are afraid that folks will cancel higher end orders to get the Pure; or (2) it is so bad that there would be many cancellations which would have to be reported to investors on the quarterly report.

In sum...I am giving up range and handling by getting the GV60. I am getting at least as much power (maybe more, maybe much more but I won't know unless and until lucid releases its specs), nappa leather, ultrasuede headliner, a HUD, real SXM, easy seating, massage and cooling seat. All this in a smaller outside package but a pretty well sized inside package.

Sounds like a nice package.
The orange 12 V charging light would help assuage the anxiety, For my wish list, I'd even add the actual voltage display for my OCD trait.
The HUD with lane info is nice, more useful than in the EQS where you only have speed and navigation. And of course, this option is not available for Lucid.
3 ish miles/kW is not bad.
All in all, looks like this car is a good option to consider.
And best of luck with the upcoming surgery. As usual for every winter, beds are rapidly filled up, and "elective" cases are pushed out a bit.

Last edited:
Sounds like a nice package.
The orange 12 V charging light would help assuage the anxiety, For my wish list, I'd even add the actual voltage display for my OCD trait.
The HUD with lane info is nice, more useful than in the EQS where you only have speed and navigation. And of course, this option is not available for Lucid.
3 ish miles/kW is not bad.
All in all, looks like this car is a good option to consider.
And best of luck with the upcoming surgery. As usual for every winter, beds are rapidly filled up, and "elective" cases are pushed out a bit.
Thanks. Hip replacement surgery these days is done at an outpatient center adjacent to the hospital itself. If the Pure RWD comes out like I wish, I will likely have buyer's remorse but I am pretty happy with my substitute.

Thanks. Hip replacement surgery these days is done at an outpatient center adjacent to the hospital itself. If the Pure RWD comes out like I wish, I will likely have buyer's remorse but I am pretty happy with my substitute.
At our place, these cases are still done in house, for better or worse.

Back