Here is my first review of my family of EVs

Tesla2.0

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Referral Code
F0ZQ8SWA
For reference, I use the same Doug DeMuro categories. (Doug DeMuro gave 2022 Rivian R1S All-time high 74, 2022 Lucid Air DE 73, 2021 Polestar 2 62, 2022 Model-X Plaid 71 & 2016 Model-X 64)

Here is my own scores. I have only Turo 2018 Model-X 75D for 4 days about 3 years ago.

WEEKEND
———————-
STYLING
2022 Lucid Air GT - 8 (Coeff 2.0 offset rear look)
2023 Rivian R1S LE - 7 (Contour offset front look)
2022 Polestar 2 P+ - 6 (Scandinavian look)
2018 Tesla MX 75D - 5 (Big egg shape)

ACCELERATION
2022 Lucid Air GT - 10 (especially 60-120 mph)
2023 Rivian R1S LE - 9 (4Xmotors 3 sec 0-60 mph)
2022 Polestar 2 P+ - 7 (2Xmotors 4.6 sec 0-60 mph)
2018 Tesla MX 75D - 7 (2Xmotors 4.9 sec 0-60 mph)

HANDLING
2022 Lucid Air GT - 8 (always planted, cornering)
2023 Rivian R1S LE - 6
2022 Polestar 2 P+ - 6
2018 Tesla MX 75D - 6

FUN FACTOR
2022 Lucid Air GT - 7 (Dolby ATMOS, big windshield)
2023 Rivian R1S LE - 9 (Off-road, outdoor gadgets)
2022 Polestar 2 P+ - 5 (GooglePlay apps)
2018 Tesla MX 75D - 8 (Falcon wings, big windshield)

COOL FACTOR
2022 Lucid Air GT - 9 (Look futuristic)
2023 Rivian R1S LE - 8 (ONLY existing boxy SUV EV)
2022 Polestar 2 P+ - 6 (rare)
2018 Tesla MX 75D - 8 (Karaoke, games, summon)

DAILY
———————-
FEATURES
2022 Lucid Air GT - 9 (Range, charging, cabin space)
2023 Rivian R1S LE - 8 (9 driving modes, gear guard)
2022 Polestar 2 P+ - 7 (most stable software of all)
2018 Model X 75D - 8 (Tesla infotainment, sentry)

COMFORT
2022 Lucid Air GT - 9 (Massage, most comfy seats)
2023 Rivian R1S LE - 6 (road bumps, air comp noise)
2022 Polestar 2 P+ - 7
2018 Tesla MX 75D - 7

QUALITY
2022 Lucid Air GT - 7 (buggy software)
2023 Rivian R1S LE - 8 (software, wood trims, details)
2022 Polestar 2 P+ - 9 (truly European feel)
2018 Tesla MX 75D - 6 (fit & finish offset by software)

PRACTICALITY
2022 Lucid Air GT - 7 (long distant cruiser, city ok)
2023 Rivian R1S LE - 10 (Go anywhere, cabin storage)
2022 Polestar 2 P+ - 6 (weak storage compartment)
2018 Tesla MX 75D - 6 (75kW poor range for SUV)

VALUE
2022 Lucid Air GT - 6 (Luxury but not par to German)
2023 Rivian R1S LE - 8 (better priced for its package)
2022 Polestar 2 P+ - 5 (way higher than its peer M3)
2018 Tesla Model X 75D - 7 (better price than 2022)

MY TOTAL SCORE
————————-
2022 Lucid Air GT - 79 (Doug 73)
2023 Rivian R1S LE - 79 (Doug 74)
2022 Polestar 2 P+ - 64 (Doug 62)
2018 Tesla Model X 75D - 68 (Doug 64)

P.S. - 2018 Model X 75D has 238 miles range, after charging only 90% and then getting 70% of EPA on Texas highway loaded 2 people and luggages, we got stuck at charging stations 3 times on 280 miles trip and waited in line at Supercharging stations. This was suppose be my first EV. When I was about to order, Lucid Air popped up in radar and approved by wife bc of its range.

Last edited:
Here are Doug DeMuro’s score cards. Ironically, I bought my Rivian R1S from his website Carsandbids.com.

371D0F0A-B912-43EE-9A1B-C5F99665008F.jpeg
944BD66F-5A93-4F14-B9B0-0B49156E372E.jpeg
764D2660-2B02-4B20-8AD9-41FFE3C0CFE8.jpeg
I’ve

@Drendino
As promised to you, here is my review and comparison. It is subjective to my personal observation and experience, of course.

@Drendino
As promised to you, here is my review and comparison. It is subjective to my personal observation and experience, of course.
Congrats on an awesome purchase! You were well served to get one now rather than wait, since Rivian has extended most wait times up to 18 months. My R1S was delayed by another year, which means that it will compete with a Gravity for my dollars.

Congrats on an awesome purchase! You were well served to get one now rather than wait, since Rivian has extended most wait times up to 18 months. My R1S was delayed by another year, which means that it will compete with a Gravity for my dollars.
It’s ridiculous the seller of my R1S had to wait exact 4 years for delivery. I’m already on wait list for 6 months, I bet first batch of Gravity may even deliver before that. Rivian currently has 90k order log, but Amazon delivery vans is their priority now.

Bummer. My R1S is still holding at Oct-Dec 23 delivery. Are you in one of the states without a service center? Rivian is delaying orders in those areas to get the service infrastructure in place. I’ve heard that service wait times in some areas are multiple months!

I think we will see a lot more Rivian in Texas soon. They have 3 service centers here in Dallas, Austin and Houston.

The used car market has softened quite a bit. Last night I saw a R1S finished auction at 3k below current Configurator MSRP. That is a strong sign of weakened economy.

Bummer. My R1S is still holding at Oct-Dec 23 delivery. Are you in one of the states without a service center? Rivian is delaying orders in those areas to get the service infrastructure in place. I’ve heard that service wait times in some areas are multiple months!
I’m only 1 1/2 hours from a service center. Over the Christmas holiday I changed my order to a black interior because they weren’t delivering Ocean Coast. Apparently I got fine printed because Rivian changed their policy and buried it somewhere. It gave them the right to delay orders that were changed, which was a flip flop of their prior policy. I’m one of thousands of people who fell for it and it gives them great cover to deliver some post-price increase cars before pre-price increase cars. It’s their sandbox, their rules, so I’m not going to lose sleep over it. I just hope I have better options by the time my R1S is ready. I have zero brand loyalty.

I think we will see a lot more Rivian in Texas soon. They have 3 service centers here in Dallas, Austin and Houston.

The used car market has softened quite a bit. Last night I saw a R1S finished auction at 3k below current Configurator MSRP. That is a strong sign of weakened economy.
I think in the short term they will go up again because there will be a lot of people not willing to wait for their further delayed Rivians. You did well.

I’m only 1 1/2 hours from a service center. Over the Christmas holiday I changed my order to a black interior because they weren’t delivering Ocean Coast. Apparently I got fine printed because Rivian changed their policy and buried it somewhere. It gave them the right to delay orders that were changed, which was a flip flop of their prior policy. I’m one of thousands of people who fell for it and it gives them great cover to deliver some post-price increase cars before pre-price increase cars. It’s their sandbox, their rules, so I’m not going to lose sleep over it. I just hope I have better options by the time my R1S is ready. I have zero brand loyalty.
That is just sucks. I cannot imagine how some reservation holders think when they gave Tesla $50k for Roadster reservation and still look like a vaporware in 2023. I think Rivian has also misrepresented on their manufacturing capacity and gross margin in lieu of IPO stock price.
I think in the short term they will go up again because there will be a lot of people not willing to wait for their further delayed Rivians. You did well.
The market will adjust itself. Because Tesla recently dropped price to all its line up to squeeze out new market entrants, the perception is priced in to the current market condition. Some will be willing to flip the car on pre-price increase deal to use that profit yo go for other soften used cars in the marketplace. Even MB EQS SUV are starting to sell at MSRP or below unlike in 2022. Auto dealership cannot keep greedily inflate forever, the Fed rate will curb down the demand.

I can't believe he gave the same styling score to the Polestar 2 that he gave to the Lucid. I'd give the Lucid a 9 and the Polestar a 6. Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder.
7 is almost Doug’s top of line for styling, unless you are McLaren.

Doug is Doug. He needs to be controversial to sell wherever he's selling and still try to make money.
One of his attributes, he learns whatever he can, or attempts at least, to learn about cars he reviews.
So, let's take with a grain of salt, wherever Doug evaluates.
Btw, I still like to listen (and silently argue) to him.

It’s ridiculous the seller of my R1S had to wait exact 4 years for delivery. I’m already on wait list for 6 months, I bet first batch of Gravity may even deliver before that. Rivian currently has 90k order log, but Amazon delivery vans is their priority now.
I’m trying to figure out if I’m going to get an ICE SUV to drive while we wait for our R1S (gasp). I’m thinking about a used Land Rover Discovery or even a Defender. I was thinking about holding out for a Gravity but after my AGT purchase, I’m not keen on dropping another 150k on a vehicle, which will be the family work horse.

It’s a pipe dream, but I’m hoping that Lucid can figure out a way to release the Gravity under 100k to compete with the R1S. Rivian has proven that this is where all the low hanging fruit is. The R1S is definitely top of the heap and unless Lucid or the German companies come for them, they are going to remain there for a while. They know this, which is why they have no problem with “no soup for you“ business practices.

I’m trying to figure out if I’m going to get an ICE SUV to drive while we wait for our R1S (gasp). I’m thinking about a used Land Rover Discovery or even a Defender. I was thinking about holding out for a Gravity but after my AGT purchase, I’m not keen on dropping another 150k on a vehicle, which will be the family work horse.

It’s a pipe dream, but I’m hoping that Lucid can figure out a way to release the Gravity under 100k to compete with the R1S. Rivian has proven that this is where all the low hanging fruit is. The R1S is definitely top of the heap and unless Lucid or the German companies come for them, they are going to remain there for a while. They know this, which is why they have no problem with “no soup for you“ business practices.
As much as everyone loves the R1S, I think it's not worth the money. The ride sucks, the drive sucks, and the interior space is terrible for such a large vehicle. The one thing I'm really hoping carries through in the Gravity is the space concept they were able to create in the Air.

As much as everyone loves the R1S, I think it's not worth the money. The ride sucks, the drive sucks, and the interior space is terrible for such a large vehicle. The one thing I'm really hoping carries through in the Gravity is the space concept they were able to create in the Air.
I love hearing that! Makes me feel much better about getting shafted on my updated delivery time frame. If I had any idea of what price point the Gravity was going to launch around, it would make it so much easier deciding to wait or get something else.

I actually like the interior a lot, especially the front row space. Since there isn’t a center console planted to floor like Air for cup holders and chargers or silly ICE transmission tunnel like Polestar 2, the big void can put woman’s purse or men’s backpack. Of course when comparing Model-X, it’s 36k cheaper at today’s Configurator and much more space. I do think you can carry 7 adults where it is not possible with Model-X. I’m sure Gravity will have better space allocation with its more compact drivetrain units. And Gravity won’t have air spring suspection like R1S but rather focus on city ride comfort compliance in the city limit. But I wanted that SUV now and this is the only product on the market and I do think the design look handsome inside out and can beat and replace my Wrangler.

As they start spec out lower base model, I think at $78k base, dual motors and standard battery pack 105kW (260 miles), and $73k base for that truck, they are going to pile up that queue even further. Personally, I think 835 HP quad motors is just stupid overkill. Do I need that independent wheel torque vectoring in off-road rally, rock climbing, stationary donut spin? I don’t think so, maybe at beach, sand dune or thick snow one day I may appreciate it.

I actually like the interior a lot, especially the front row space. Since there isn’t a center console planted to floor like Air for cup holders and chargers or silly ICE transmission tunnel like Polestar 2, the big void can put woman’s purse or men’s backpack. Of course when comparing Model-X, it’s 36k cheaper at today’s Configurator and much more space. I do think you can carry 7 adults where it is not possible with Model-X. I’m sure Gravity will have better space allocation with its more compact drivetrain units. And Gravity won’t have air spring suspection like R1S but rather focus on city ride comfort compliance in the city limit. But I wanted that SUV now and this is the only product on the market and I do think the design look handsome inside out and can beat and replace my Wrangler.

As they start spec out lower base model, I think at $78k base, dual motors and standard battery pack 105kW (260 miles), and $73k base for that truck, they are going to pile up that queue even further. Personally, I think 835 HP quad motors is just stupid overkill. Do I need that independent wheel torque vectoring in off-road rally, rock climbing, stationary donut spin? I don’t think so, maybe at beach, sand dune or thick snow one day I may appreciate it.
Agreed on the front row, but the back area stinks. With the 3rd row up, there is barely any storage in the rear so it's really more like a 5 passenger SUV with luggage capacity. If you are adventuring it makes sense and is probably great for that role, but as a people mover it is lacking. The Gravity is supposed to have Air suspensions according to their press release, so let's see what happens there.

But you are correct, currently there is nothing better than the R1S for a 7 passenger EV SUV.

For reference, I use the same Doug DeMuro categories.

I am probably dropping my R1S LE reservation due to what I've read about the third-row seating room. The Rivian was going to be the replacement for our Honda Odyssey minivan which we often use to transport 6 adults (sometimes all of them age 60 or above).

What's your view of the third row for long-distance travel and ease of getting in and out?

I am probably dropping my R1S LE reservation due to what I've read about the third-row seating room. The Rivian was going to be the replacement for our Honda Odyssey minivan which we often use to transport 6 adults (sometimes all of them age 60 or above).

What's your view of the third row for long-distance travel and ease of getting in and out?
FWIW, I cancelled my reservation because in order for the 3rd row to have comfortable legroom, you have to slide the 2nd row forward. Once you do that the 2nd row legroom is not very good either. For reference, I'm only 5'5" and my dad is also 5'5" and he was in the 3rd row and I was in the 2nd row and we both agreed it would not be comfortable for a prolonged journey.

Back