GT at South OC Cars and Coffee

RichMalden

Verified Owner
Cars
AGT, 1970 MB 280SL
Saw this posted yesterday. It's some car and coffee get together in South Orange County (in California?)

Anyway, there's a DE and a GT in it. I assume that means Lucid brought the GT for display since I've obviously seen no word of GT deliveries. Anyone happen to be at this?

DE at 2:47 with a "Rent Me" sign on it so it's likely privately owned.

GT is at 11:52 with no publicity signage on it. Strange.

Last edited:
Maybe a pre production GT or Lucid is starting to do a run of GTs for test drives and demos. Who knows?

That GT is a Lucid internal vehicle. They confirmed it on Twitter.

Thanks! I'm surprised they didn't have signage but the car is so beautiful it promotes itself. Starts the buzz by people asking and talking.

I really like the GT 21" wheels. Initially I preferred the DE 21" wheels, but the GT's have really grown on me. The also look the best in motion.

I really like the GT 21" wheels. Initially I preferred the DE 21" wheels, but the GT's have really grown on me. The also look the best in motion.
Yea they really look like airplane turbines

The Lucid website shows only the DE 21" wheels as being forged. Yet Lucid's spec sheet shows the DE and the GT to weigh exactly the same with their 21" wheels. (They also show the same weights when both are wearing the identical 19" wheels, meaning the cars themselves weigh the same.) I'm surprised the forged DE 21" wheels don't weigh enough less than the GT 21" wheels to show up in the weights of the cars.

Last edited:
Yea they really look like airplane turbines

I opted for the GT rather than the Dream Edition because I did not like the limited selection of exterior colors offered in the Dream, and I preferred the wheels on the GT. To my eyes the Dream wheels look like they belong on a Corvette, not the Air. The zig zag pattern of those wheels does not match the curvy classy rounded lines of the Air. I think the GT wheels look much better and what I have seen of the 20 inch wheels they look good too. But of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The Dream 21" wheels must be very heavy for a forged wheel. Based on Lucid's spec sheet, the forged 21" wheels each weigh 8.25 pounds more than the cast 19" wheels. This is very odd. While larger wheels will weigh more, all other things being equal, some (or even all) of that increase should be offset by forging, which requires less metal to attain the same strength.

The Dream 21" wheels must be very heavy for a forged wheel. Based on Lucid's spec sheet, the forged 21" wheels each weigh 8.25 pounds more than the cast 19" wheels. This is very odd. While larger wheels will weigh more, all other things being equal, some (or even all) of that increase should be offset by forging, which requires less metal to attain the same strength.
Isn't every portion of the wheel that is black, plastic?

No, that's not completely true. If you remove the covers, it still has a black finish on the interior parts
20211119_183613.jpg

Have you been able (or tried) to find the weights of these wheels?

I've been looking at the New Aero wheels that were designed for Tesla, but their forged wheel is heavy, at around 35 pounds.

I was contacted by a specialty wheel manufacturer when I had my model S Raven through a mutual friend. They wanted info on who was buying and modifying teslas. They were going to start making carbon fiber wheels for the Tesla S. The wheels were going to be much lighter than forged. I don’t know if they ever marketed these rims but they would I presume have the same bolt pattern as a Tesla. Another benefit would be less unsprung weight as well as less overall weight

I had magnesium alloy wheels on a race car once. They were incredibly light. It was a small light vehicle though, 1000 pounds. I don't know if magnesium wheels could be designed for a 5000 pound sedan.
Maybe @Bill55 knows some wheel people in the racing community that would consider making some.

Once I get the car to the shop in Greenville we will be looking for options. I’ll share whatever we find.

There's a white GT for test drives at the Torrance center.

Back