A Comparison of my Lucid AT and my Genesis GV-60

Canyonero!

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid, Rivian, Genesis GV
Disclaimer: These are (mostly) my opinions. Feel free to disagree (and correct any errors). I have only had the Lucid since March 17th. So keep that in mind, too! I will cross post this to the Genesis owner's forum.

Genesis GV-60 to Lucid Air comparison

Genesis: Mauna Red Performance model 21” wheels

Lucid: Zenith Red/Santa Cruz Touring model 21” wheels

Regenerative braking:

The Lucid’s braking has two settings: Standard & High and you need to go into menus to switch. The Lucid’s regen is stronger than the Genesis (iPedal vs. High). It was so strong that I set it to standard at first to get used to the car. But it STAYS in the selected setting, which is good!

The Genesis has paddles on the steering wheel that cycle the regen settings between 0 (off) and iPedal (max) with three levels in between. I don’t like that you have to set it to iPedal after every gear shift. It also has “Smart” regenerative braking where you hold the + paddle in to maximize the regen. At least I think that’s how it works. I never use it (always in iPedal, well, at least after I PUT it there).

Acceleration:

Okay…I had the GV-60 first, so I got kinda jaded to the insane torque and acceleration. 3.5, 3.6, whatever. It’s FAST! I don’t like that you have to press the “Boost” button to get the full oomph, though.

The Lucid is faster, but I don’t really feel it. I mean, it’s feels least AS fast as the GV-60, but I can’t tell that it’s substantially faster. Much like the Boost button, I don’t like that the Lucid defaults to Sloth, I mean “Smooth.” It should at least hold in Swift. And I really don’t like the “Are you sure?” nag if you select Sprint. After the first one, you should be able to disable it (the nag). The Lucid is definitely better in the corners, but I would hope so, it being a sedan vs. a small SUV.

The Lucid's glass roof: I wasn’t really blown away. I like it, but I don’t constantly think, “Wow!”

Stereo:

The GV-60 isn’t that great. It sounds good enough, but not great.

The Lucid isn’t that great, either. Better than the Genesis, but not by that much. I do have SSP and have listened to Atmos tracks on Tidal. I hear some cool effects from time to time, but overall, it seems like most of the sound is coming from the front. Probably the best stereo I’ve had in a car, but I guess I was expecting better for a $4,500 option.

Range: Lucid wins hands down. About 300 miles at 80% vs the Genesis’ 210.

Charging:

The Genesis is broke. It can’t take 48 amps from my Lectron V-Box (it did at first, but won’t now). It will charge for a while, then say that the cable was disconnected. I used the in-car manager to reduce it from Maximum, to Normal. That dropped the current to 40 amps and I still had disconnects. I now have it set at Minimum and it draws 30 amps and will charge to the set value w/o disconnects. This isn’t a big deal, as I only charge once every three days, but there may be a situation where I need the fastest charge and it would be nice to have it. Anyway, this is an issue I need to take it to the dealer for.

The Lucid will take the full 48 amps.

Battery Pre-Conditioning:

For fast charging, the Genesis has to have the charger entered into the nav system. No way to manually start it. Unfortunately, I can’t seem to run the CarPlay nav (Waze, ABRP, Apple Maps) without disabling the Internal Nav (which stops pre-conditioning). I like to have Waze running and would prefer a manual option.

The Lucid has ONLY manual pre-conditioning. It really should have auto if a charger is being navigated to.

The Genesis is fast and will draw over 200 kW initially. I haven’t had the chance to test the Lucid because at the one stop I made so far with a pre-conditioned battery, the 350 kW charger was OOS, of course (and a Taycan was using the other one (and drawing <100 kW)).

Cruise Control/Highway Assist:

The Genesis has Highway Driver Assist (level one). This means it will keep in the center of the lane in addition to maintaining an adjustable following distance (3 levels). It will not do lane changes on its own (that’s level HDA2). It does lane keeping very well and I’m really happy with it.

My Lucid had DDP, but that’s not really here yet. It also has lane keeping (Highway Assist) and adaptive cruise with 4 levels of following distance. The lane keeping is not as good as the Genesis. It really wants to be close to the center line when I’m in the right lane. When I’m being passed, I nudge the car to the right and it self-corrects to the left and just keeps hunting for the center. It makes me too nervous and I turn it off. If there’s no traffic, it’s fine. But that’s not ideal. This is probably one of my biggest disappointments, but I expect it to get better with OTAs. Also, the lane departure seems really sensitive to me. I feel like I’m almost centered and it buzzes me and corrects. If I’m turning; however, it is really good at letting me hug the inside line without warning/correction.

Noise: In the Lucid, I can really hear the motor when accelerating from low speed. I don’t hear it in the Genesis.

Seats:

The GV-60 has “massaging” seats. They aren’t great, basically just inflating/deflating sections of the seat, but it’s nice on long trips. The Touring has shit. This is apparently just to make GT+ trim owners feel that they are getting something for the extra money they pay, but for $40k more than the GV-60, it’s kind of annoying. I mean, this is a “lower” trim level, but it’s still a f*ing $100,000+ car! The GV-60 also has adjustable side bolsters. The Lucid does not (at least the Touring and below trim).

Interior:

The Genesis has very nice materials and feel. Lots of physical buttons plus three that are user programmable. The interior storage is great. I really like the open area under the center console.

The Lucid interior is just “next-level” (as it should be at this price). Really nice and comfortable with the accent lighting (also on the Genesis)…until you get to the steering wheel. The hard plastic parts on the wheel are very noticeable when you grip the wheel at 4 & 8 (that’s what they teach the kids to do now). You can’t see it, but there’s a sharp transition that doesn’t feel great. Also, the steering when buttons for volume & speed control feel “clunky.” They have a lot of play in them and are noisy. This applies to the fan/temp buttons as well.

Heads Up Display: Genesis has one. Lucid does not. I like it, though and wish the Lucid also had it.

Frunk: Technically, the Genesis has one, but it is only big enough for the manuals, my Noco Go booster, and maybe a sandwich (not recommended to keep one there). I like the big frunk on the Lucid. I like to back into/pull through parking spaces at the store. I can easily put the groceries in the frunk when parked butt-first.

I also posted on both. Here is my short response:

Great report. Thanks a ton. I agree with most of what you say. The only exception is charging. I have the chargepoint EVSE on a 50 amp line drawing a continuous 40 amps and it works every time on the Genesis. I wonder if the problem you are having is within the EVSE.

For those who are not familiar with the GV60 Performance, it is a small SUV (really a raised hatch) so the seating is higher than in the Lucid. The tradeoff is much better handling in the Lucid but better storage in the GV60.

I think both have varied this over time but for early reservers, I believe both came with 3 years of EA usage (whatever that is worth).

After you have had both for a while, please give us an update. Merci beaucoup.

Disclaimer: These are (mostly) my opinions. Feel free to disagree (and correct any errors). I have only had the Lucid since March 17th. So keep that in mind, too! I will cross post this to the Genesis owner's forum.

Genesis GV-60 to Lucid Air comparison

Genesis: Mauna Red Performance model 21” wheels

Lucid: Zenith Red/Santa Cruz Touring model 21” wheels

Regenerative braking:

The Lucid’s braking has two settings: Standard & High and you need to go into menus to switch. The Lucid’s regen is stronger than the Genesis (iPedal vs. High). It was so strong that I set it to standard at first to get used to the car. But it STAYS in the selected setting, which is good!

The Genesis has paddles on the steering wheel that cycle the regen settings between 0 (off) and iPedal (max) with three levels in between. I don’t like that you have to set it to iPedal after every gear shift. It also has “Smart” regenerative braking where you hold the + paddle in to maximize the regen. At least I think that’s how it works. I never use it (always in iPedal, well, at least after I PUT it there).

Acceleration:

Okay…I had the GV-60 first, so I got kinda jaded to the insane torque and acceleration. 3.5, 3.6, whatever. It’s FAST! I don’t like that you have to press the “Boost” button to get the full oomph, though.

The Lucid is faster, but I don’t really feel it. I mean, it’s feels least AS fast as the GV-60, but I can’t tell that it’s substantially faster. Much like the Boost button, I don’t like that the Lucid defaults to Sloth, I mean “Smooth.” It should at least hold in Swift. And I really don’t like the “Are you sure?” nag if you select Sprint. After the first one, you should be able to disable it (the nag). The Lucid is definitely better in the corners, but I would hope so, it being a sedan vs. a small SUV.

The Lucid's glass roof: I wasn’t really blown away. I like it, but I don’t constantly think, “Wow!”

Stereo:

The GV-60 isn’t that great. It sounds good enough, but not great.

The Lucid isn’t that great, either. Better than the Genesis, but not by that much. I do have SSP and have listened to Atmos tracks on Tidal. I hear some cool effects from time to time, but overall, it seems like most of the sound is coming from the front. Probably the best stereo I’ve had in a car, but I guess I was expecting better for a $4,500 option.

Range: Lucid wins hands down. About 300 miles at 80% vs the Genesis’ 210.

Charging:

The Genesis is broke. It can’t take 48 amps from my Lectron V-Box (it did at first, but won’t now). It will charge for a while, then say that the cable was disconnected. I used the in-car manager to reduce it from Maximum, to Normal. That dropped the current to 40 amps and I still had disconnects. I now have it set at Minimum and it draws 30 amps and will charge to the set value w/o disconnects. This isn’t a big deal, as I only charge once every three days, but there may be a situation where I need the fastest charge and it would be nice to have it. Anyway, this is an issue I need to take it to the dealer for.

The Lucid will take the full 48 amps.

Battery Pre-Conditioning:

For fast charging, the Genesis has to have the charger entered into the nav system. No way to manually start it. Unfortunately, I can’t seem to run the CarPlay nav (Waze, ABRP, Apple Maps) without disabling the Internal Nav (which stops pre-conditioning). I like to have Waze running and would prefer a manual option.

The Lucid has ONLY manual pre-conditioning. It really should have auto if a charger is being navigated to.

The Genesis is fast and will draw over 200 kW initially. I haven’t had the chance to test the Lucid because at the one stop I made so far with a pre-conditioned battery, the 350 kW charger was OOS, of course (and a Taycan was using the other one (and drawing <100 kW)).

Cruise Control/Highway Assist:

The Genesis has Highway Driver Assist (level one). This means it will keep in the center of the lane in addition to maintaining an adjustable following distance (3 levels). It will not do lane changes on its own (that’s level HDA2). It does lane keeping very well and I’m really happy with it.

My Lucid had DDP, but that’s not really here yet. It also has lane keeping (Highway Assist) and adaptive cruise with 4 levels of following distance. The lane keeping is not as good as the Genesis. It really wants to be close to the center line when I’m in the right lane. When I’m being passed, I nudge the car to the right and it self-corrects to the left and just keeps hunting for the center. It makes me too nervous and I turn it off. If there’s no traffic, it’s fine. But that’s not ideal. This is probably one of my biggest disappointments, but I expect it to get better with OTAs. Also, the lane departure seems really sensitive to me. I feel like I’m almost centered and it buzzes me and corrects. If I’m turning; however, it is really good at letting me hug the inside line without warning/correction.

Noise: In the Lucid, I can really hear the motor when accelerating from low speed. I don’t hear it in the Genesis.

Seats:

The GV-60 has “massaging” seats. They aren’t great, basically just inflating/deflating sections of the seat, but it’s nice on long trips. The Touring has shit. This is apparently just to make GT+ trim owners feel that they are getting something for the extra money they pay, but for $40k more than the GV-60, it’s kind of annoying. I mean, this is a “lower” trim level, but it’s still a f*ing $100,000+ car! The GV-60 also has adjustable side bolsters. The Lucid does not (at least the Touring and below trim).

Interior:

The Genesis has very nice materials and feel. Lots of physical buttons plus three that are user programmable. The interior storage is great. I really like the open area under the center console.

The Lucid interior is just “next-level” (as it should be at this price). Really nice and comfortable with the accent lighting (also on the Genesis)…until you get to the steering wheel. The hard plastic parts on the wheel are very noticeable when you grip the wheel at 4 & 8 (that’s what they teach the kids to do now). You can’t see it, but there’s a sharp transition that doesn’t feel great. Also, the steering when buttons for volume & speed control feel “clunky.” They have a lot of play in them and are noisy. This applies to the fan/temp buttons as well.

Heads Up Display: Genesis has one. Lucid does not. I like it, though and wish the Lucid also had it.

Frunk: Technically, the Genesis has one, but it is only big enough for the manuals, my Noco Go booster, and maybe a sandwich (not recommended to keep one there). I like the big frunk on the Lucid. I like to back into/pull through parking spaces at the store. I can easily put the groceries in the frunk when parked butt-first.
Well written… Here's a shortcut to adjust regen in the Lucid: Press and hold the Smooth (or whatever) button and a pop-up menu will allow you to select standard or high.

i drove genesis gv60. tesla model s and y, polestar 2.... and now i own a lucid touring..

all the other cars... i felt like i am in a golf car. i just didnt feel like a machine... just a well made golf car..

and after i test drove lucid... the handling, feeling the acceleration, ride, quickness... everything felt really good.. like I am in a super machine, well produced mechanic machine... and i bought it.

I really didnt like the golf car... which i need to drove everyday...

Tip for the Genesis: long-press either paddle and it will switch to auto-regen, where the level of regeneration adjusts based on speed and distance to the car in front. Any level but i-Pedal would be remembered, but the i-Pedal mode consumes more energy anyway as it keeps the car in permanent AWD, so ... I don't really miss it. The Genesis user forum seems to not be that active, so you can head over to the Kia or Hyundai forums to get more tips.

A bit surprised the Lucid lane-keeping is not as good as Genesis' - I was not *too* impressed by how it works on my Kia EV6. And yeah, the HUD is really nice. And not having manual pre-conditioning on Hyundai/Kia/Genesis is a bit ridiculous, given the choice I'd take manual only like the Lucid.

Still considering the Lucid for next time (and still a shareholder) - hoping their autonomous driving tech will catch up.

When comparing sound systems, did you sit in the back seat to listen or front? Does that make any difference in the genesis? To my untrained ear, it makes a huge difference in my AGT - sitting in the rear seat sounds incredible whereas when sitting in the drivers seat, the sound is good but doesn’t blow me away.

When comparing sound systems, did you sit in the back seat to listen or front? Does that make any difference in the genesis? To my untrained ear, it makes a huge difference in my AGT - sitting in the rear seat sounds incredible whereas when sitting in the drivers seat, the sound is good but doesn’t blow me away.
Mine sounds way better in front after the woofers were fixed!

Back