joec

Referral Code - MX1KDTYY
Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
Air Touring
Referral Code
MX1KDTYY
Spent two hours in stop and go, bumper-to-bumper traffic on the 70 today on my way through the mountains up to Breckenridge. And HA was a real life saver.

True, when traffic stopped completely, I had to twist up on the left steering wheel stalk to resume, but so long as we were mostly coasting around 1-5 mph, HA saved me from having to touch the accelerator or brake and kept me in my lane like a champ.

And it was snowing.

Highway Assist isn’t really designed for this sort of thing, but it served me quite well today. I continue to be impressed with how much more comfortable I am with this system than I was with FSD on my Tesla.

Yes, under those conditions and in free flowing conditions, I really like HA. When traffic is heavy and it goes from 3 mph to 20 back to 0, I find HA accelerates too quickly and waits to brake so it brakes harder than required if it had slowed slightly. It's enough to wake people that are napping in the car so I manually drive under those conditions to smooth things out.

My car always seemed to center itself with HA but very recently, it takes the inside edge of curves making me nervous as it gets really close to the lane markers. After the curve, HA centers the car again.

Right now I would only use HA with free flowing traffic. Stopped vehicles or stop and go traffics is pretty nerve wracking, so I'd turn it off in those situations. That's probably the biggest areas of improvements.

Are you able to switch to adaptive cruise control from highway assist? It seems that HA is default if available. Adaptive cruise control is only available if HA is not available?

I tried HA today for the first time. It's a feature I'm not terribly familiar with and I probably should have reviewed the Owners Manual first. Having said that, it seemed to be trying to center the car in the lane, which makes sense. I've read from most others that it doesn't really center and aligns to one edge or the other. Mine seemed to be doing what it's supposed to.

If I use it again, I will only use in the 1 & 2 lanes but not the others. The auto steering gets confused when merge lanes appear which is understandable but unsettling.

Overall, I'll be sticking with Adaptive Cruise Control for now, until I get more familiar with the car.

Yes, press and hold the HA button would switch between ACC and HA.
And - you can tell which mode you're in by looking to see if the Steering Wheel icon is lit up in the center panel of the Cockpit Dash. On means HA, off means ACC.

And - you can tell which mode you're in by looking to see if the Steering Wheel icon is lit up in the center panel of the Cockpit Dash. On means HA, off means ACC.
It would say "Highway Assist" or "Adaptive Cruise Control" on the top of the center screen. So which mode it's in should be very clear. The steering wheel just meant the software is steering or not, if you override by turning the steering wheel or if the car can't detect the lane line, the steering wheel icon would dim also. But if you're HA mode, the car would take over steering as soon as it's able too. That's not the case with ACC.

It would say "Highway Assist" or "Adaptive Cruise Control" on the top of the center screen. So which mode it's in should be very clear. The steering wheel just meant the software is steering or not, if you override by turning the steering wheel or if the car can't detect the lane line, the steering wheel icon would dim also. But if you're HA mode, the car would take over steering as soon as it's able too. That's not the case with ACC.
This is good information and I will look for the "Highway Assist" or "Adaptive Cruise Control" on the top of the center screen. My steering wheel blocks that part of the Cockpit Center Panel so perhaps that's why I didn't see it. I'll take a closer look and thank you!

I can't trust the braking on highway assist. Even if I set a 4 car length buffer the car doesn't seem to detect quick slow downs in the car in front of me. I have to slam the brakes to make sure the car will stop in time. Anyone else have a similar experience?

I can't trust the braking on highway assist. Even if I set a 4 car length buffer the car doesn't seem to detect quick slow downs in the car in front of me. I have to slam the brakes to make sure the car will stop in time. Anyone else have a similar experience?
Change Collision Protection/Detection from Mid to early and you should feel safer.

I don’t have that issue at all. The car slows down nice and smoothly, but not later than I would want it to. Even when some jerk cuts in front of me. Could be you need to be calibrated?

Back