2.0.18 - Highway Assist Experiences

I do not yet have a lot of experience with Highway Assist but the first time I used it I made an observation which may prevent me from using it in traffic with 18 wheelers. I have been driving for a very long time and I just naturally move over slightly in my lane when passing or being passed by a large vehicle. For me, its a safety margin thing should the other driver drift a little; especially if its a driver with right-of-weight. Its also about avoiding potential pebbles/road debris from other guy's tires. I found Highway Assist kept me very centered in my lane (which is certainly what I want most of the time), but I instinctively pulled the steering wheel to add some clearance while beside a large truck and Highway Assist put up a persistent fight as long as I tried to maintain a little extra clearance. In some cases I felt incredibly close to a truck that was tending toward the lane divider markings. My question is would it be possible for Highway Assist to add some offset to the centering algorithm while beside a large vehicle? This would of course depend 'awareness' of a large vehicle and on available lane width. Is this a reasonable request? Have others experienced this?

I do not yet have a lot of experience with Highway Assist but the first time I used it I made an observation which may prevent me from using it in traffic with 18 wheelers. I have been driving for a very long time and I just naturally move over slightly in my lane when passing or being passed by a large vehicle. For me, its a safety margin thing should the other driver drift a little; especially if its a driver with right-of-weight. Its also about avoiding potential pebbles/road debris from other guy's tires. I found Highway Assist kept me very centered in my lane (which is certainly what I want most of the time), but I instinctively pulled the steering wheel to add some clearance while beside a large truck and Highway Assist put up a persistent fight as long as I tried to maintain a little extra clearance. In some cases I felt incredibly close to a truck that was tending toward the lane divider markings. My question is would it be possible for Highway Assist to add some offset to the centering algorithm while beside a large vehicle? This would of course depend 'awareness' of a large vehicle and on available lane width. Is this a reasonable request? Have others experienced this?
I think that's a really cool idea, but a fairly advanced thing to pull off. Could totally see them being able to do that eventually, though.

These are the sorts of refinements I'd like to see from all driving assistant software long before they even attempt to do anything resembling level 5. To me, a really, really good level 2 system would be way more confidence inspiring than trying to claim that your car won't even have a steering wheel in two years.

In the meantime, I would probably just temporarily turn off HA when in that situation. Get around the truck as soon as you can, then turn it back on.

This is a fantastic idea. /cc @Firstto520 @mcr16

Dr Lee who heads ADAS should be familiar with this since he led Hyundai’s efforts and they advertised that capability

I agree with this idea. I’m on a long road trip now from MA to FL, and every time I have to pass a truck it’s terrifying. Not only does the car tend to keep me too close to the truck, but the lane edge avoidance keeps kicking in an d trying to push me back towards the truck. Yikes.

I agree with this idea. I’m on a long road trip now from MA to FL, and every time I have to pass a truck it’s terrifying. Not only does the car tend to keep me too close to the truck, but the lane edge avoidance keeps kicking in an d trying to push me back towards the truck. Yikes.
Thanks guys, its nice to hear others think this is reasonable idea.

Sapphire is the answer 0-60 in 1.89 seconds 🤪.
Thanks for sharing this info. Most Pickup drivers in Texas think they are driving an 18 wheeler. Good thing it’s something we choose to use.

This is an issue for me in my Tesla as well... I always feel too close to the trucks and have to wrestle the steering to make room which causes an adas deactivation beep to sound and makes the car swerve a bit. It's one of my wife's biggest gripes as a passenger.

This is an issue for me in my Tesla as well... I always feel too close to the trucks and have to wrestle the steering to make room which causes an adas deactivation beep to sound and makes the car swerve a bit. It's one of my wife's biggest gripes as a passenger.
For Tesla, with the current Navigate on Auto Pilot (highway driving), the car does move over about 6" from trucks – but it does that when it is parallel to the truck, so still not soon enough.

YES!

Had this experience this weekend using Highway Assist for the first time on a 200+ mile, mostly highway trip. The Lucid always felt like it was hugging the right side of the lane (NOT centered) which was particularly unsettling when there was a semi or large truck in the right hand lane. Sensing another vehicle and adjusting the 'centering' would be most welcome...

YES!

Had this experience this weekend using Highway Assist for the first time on a 200+ mile, mostly highway trip. The Lucid always felt like it was hugging the right side of the lane (NOT centered) which was particularly unsettling when there was a semi or large truck in the right hand lane. Sensing another vehicle and adjusting the 'centering' would be most welcome...
I used Highway Assist for the 1st time yesterday, and it certainly did seem like it was hugging the right side of the lane - is that really true or a perception being on the left hand side of the car? It was unnerving...

I used Highway Assist for the 1st time yesterday, and it certainly did seem like it was hugging the right side of the lane - is that really true or a perception being on the left hand side of the car? It was unnerving...
Good question. My daughter was in the passenger seat and she would look out and confirm the car was very much to the right of the lane....

Suppose we all could have been a bit freaked out and over/under estimating the distances...

Good question. My daughter was in the passenger seat and she would look out and confirm the car was very much to the right of the lane....

Suppose we all could have been a bit freaked out and over/under estimating the distances...
I had this perception too, so briefly adjusted my mirrors so I could see the lane markings. It kept me *solidly* centered in the lane; we are just really used to biasing toward the left, given that we sit on the left.

I had this perception too, so briefly adjusted my mirrors so I could see the lane markings. It kept me *solidly* centered in the lane; we are just really used to biasing toward the left, given that we sit on the left.
I guess I've been driving to the left of the lane all these years :).

Another curious event while using HA happened when we crossed into a short section of highway that they had just repaired and we were driving on unmarked black asphalt. The Lucid immediately started flashing the left portion of the console with a message in red that said something like "Stay Alert" and was hooting an obnoxious alarm tone. Interesting, in that it requires you to draw your eyes away from the road to see why the dashboard is having a fit.

In any case, as soon as we were beyond the unmarked portion of the road, the alert/fit stopped.

first 1200 miles on highway assist have been pretty discouraging.
1. Initial calibration seemed to go quickly but with poor results. Highway assist wants to align the car to the right of the center lane literally every time and pulls the car to the right even more when large trucks are passing on the right. This is very nerve racking for the rider side passengers since the car veers toward large trucks as they pass.
2. Assist is obviously more able to see and sensitive to respond to solid yellow lines on the left of the car pulling more to the right of the lane whenever it sees one.
3. assist is almost always confused when a solid white line on the right changes to a broken white line such as when encountering an exit. Car frequently jerks toward the broken white line with increasing amplitude until I physically have to physically override it.
4. Calls to Lucid customer assist about the problems are responded to with "just drive the car a few more miles and the artificial intelligence in the system will learn the problem and correct it." That was 700 miles ago and now the car is actually attempting to change lanes to the right whenit encounters the same exit. When I allow it to do this it reaches the middle of the right lane before I physically override it.
5. The first long trip this past holiday weekend was so tense that I really wished I had taken my Lexus or my wife's Tesla. Both would have been far more relaxing.
6. Actual driving range on the trip before the machine forced me to stop to charge was 269 miles at highway speeds of 65-70 mph.
Actually the whole first month of ownership has been pretty disappointing. Limited honesty by Lucid sales and delivery personnel, unfilled promises, limited responsiveness of customer assistance. wrong information distributed to the customer regarding wall charging resulting in thousands in additional expense to correct when wall charger arrived, Currently suspect of just being "ghosted" by Lucid personnel responsible for delivery, service, and customer care for a $150,000.00 car that is not feeling quite that luxurious.
When asked about the car by bystanders I am trying to appear as a proud owner but that is getting more difficult with time.

first 1200 miles on highway assist have been pretty discouraging.
1. Initial calibration seemed to go quickly but with poor results. Highway assist wants to align the car to the right of the center lane literally every time and pulls the car to the right even more when large trucks are passing on the right. This is very nerve racking for the rider side passengers since the car veers toward large trucks as they pass.
2. Assist is obviously more able to see and sensitive to respond to solid yellow lines on the left of the car pulling more to the right of the lane whenever it sees one.
3. assist is almost always confused when a solid white line on the right changes to a broken white line such as when encountering an exit. Car frequently jerks toward the broken white line with increasing amplitude until I physically have to physically override it.
4. Calls to Lucid customer assist about the problems are responded to with "just drive the car a few more miles and the artificial intelligence in the system will learn the problem and correct it." That was 700 miles ago and now the car is actually attempting to change lanes to the right whenit encounters the same exit. When I allow it to do this it reaches the middle of the right lane before I physically override it.
5. The first long trip this past holiday weekend was so tense that I really wished I had taken my Lexus or my wife's Tesla. Both would have been far more relaxing.
6. Actual driving range on the trip before the machine forced me to stop to charge was 269 miles at highway speeds of 65-70 mph.
Actually the whole first month of ownership has been pretty disappointing. Limited honesty by Lucid sales and delivery personnel, unfilled promises, limited responsiveness of customer assistance. wrong information distributed to the customer regarding wall charging resulting in thousands in additional expense to correct when wall charger arrived, Currently suspect of just being "ghosted" by Lucid personnel responsible for delivery, service, and customer care for a $150,000.00 car that is not feeling quite that luxurious.
When asked about the car by bystanders I am trying to appear as a proud owner but that is getting more difficult with time.
Are you sure it's pulling to the right, and not just *actually* centered? I thought mine was centered too far right, but 100% of the time that I've looked in my side mirrors it has been dead center. We, as humans, tend to lean left when driving because our seat is on the left; in the UK, they tend to lean right.

YES!

literally the same...heheh I posted the same elsewhere too. Glad to see I wasn't going crazy. It was centered okay enough but when there was a vehicle to the right, it would ever so slightly go towards it and come back to being centered once we passed that vehicle to the right. Some trucks definitely got nervous and we did too and kinda swerved away from us. I went to ACC ever since !

literally the same...heheh I posted the same elsewhere too. Glad to see I wasn't going crazy. It was centered okay enough but when there was a vehicle to the right, it would ever so slightly go towards it and come back to being centered once we passed that vehicle to the right. Some trucks definitely got nervous and we did too and kinda swerved away from us. I went to ACC ever since !
Please report this behavior!

My Lucid is definitely hugging the right side. My Tesla is centered.

Back