2.0.18 - Highway Assist Experiences

Absolutely fair! I haven’t experienced the jerkiness on the Air, it’s all seemed smooth to me. I have noticed in certain areas where there is a wide merge, the car will struggle slightly to keep centered, but it did seem to track the car in front of me, so as long as they stayed centered, so did I.
I do not think Teslas system is ready for anything but highway driving, it drives like I did when I was 13 trying to make turns, chooses the wrong lanes for turns, etc. I am impressed with where they are solely using vision, but i still find it too dangerous to use with confidence.
Agree completely. I'm quite annoyed that Tesla continues to sell FSD as I don't think that happens within the lifetime of the car. Am very happy I passed on that 'upgrade'.

If you're in Highway Assist Mode, the screen will show Highway Assist even when not activated. If you're on a road that doesn't allow HA, when you activate it, it will tell you it's not available and then will switch to ACC. It's a little confusing b/c you can be driving through an area that doesn't have HA, but if you don't try to turn it on, it will just keep saying HA.

Posting a few pics. The first is what the screen looks like with HA on and working. The 2nd is the warning you get when it's not available.View attachment 6360View attachment 6361
Here we go. What I see on HA and ACC. Please let me know if anybody see the same thing. Or it is a big I should report.

Attachments

• 4106B2BB-1C30-4C11-A17B-EEFF0349A649.jpeg
    4106B2BB-1C30-4C11-A17B-EEFF0349A649.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 179
  • EC196FAB-A07A-4812-A7D0-970C53B41D32.jpeg
    EC196FAB-A07A-4812-A7D0-970C53B41D32.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 170
Here we go. What I see on HA and ACC. Please let me know if anybody see the same thing. Or it is a big I should report.
Given that you've driven 100 miles and not gotten HA to fully engage, I'd send an email to customer care with the photo attached where the steering wheel and lane is grayed out. Let them know what freeway(s) you've tried.

Given that you've driven 100 miles and not gotten HA to fully engage, I'd send an email to customer care with the photo attached where the steering wheel and lane is grayed out. Let them know what freeway(s) you've tried.
85, 101, 880 both direction,

On .24 and drove in heavy rain last night but I tried to activate HA and could not even get the HA orange learning on the speedo dash.
I was in ACC and straight on I5 north and did the long press on dreamdrive button and no change in any way. I realized I have lane keeping off… Does this “turn off” HA?

On .24 and drove in heavy rain last night but I tried to activate HA and could not even get the HA orange learning on the speedo dash.
I was in ACC and straight on I5 north and did the long press on dreamdrive button and no change in any way. I realized I have lane keeping off… Does this “turn off” HA?
No, because I have mine off and it works. HA reengages it when using HA.

I just looked at the HA thread and I believe I did not engage HA properly. I made an assumption that I should start in ACC and then engage HA with a long press of DD button… apparently incorrect. I was supposed to select HA from the start with DD button then engage with toggle. Makes sense to me now? Haha

Absolutely fair! I haven’t experienced the jerkiness on the Air, it’s all seemed smooth to me. I have noticed in certain areas where there is a wide merge, the car will struggle slightly to keep centered, but it did seem to track the car in front of me, so as long as they stayed centered, so did I.
I do not think Teslas system is ready for anything but highway driving, it drives like I did when I was 13 trying to make turns, chooses the wrong lanes for turns, etc. I am impressed with where they are solely using vision, but i still find it too dangerous to use with confidence.
I find the EQS highway assist and lane change slightly better than Tesla.

Got 2.0.18 last night, and took it out this morning for the 'calibration on the highway' drive, and a test of the HA. Only drove about 10 miles on the highway before I got the notification that HA was available, and so I turned it on. Total drive was about 80 miles on divided interstate. Initial impressions:
1. definitely experienced the 'acceleration flutter' that others have commented on. Wasn't annoyingly present, and if I hadn't been aware of it as a possibility, don't know if I would have noticed it.
2. Midway through the drive, the wind picked up dramatically- 20-30mph perpendicular to my route of travel. This made an otherwise pleasant experience become unpleasant. The car kept fighting the wind (and me) to keep the car centered. This continued for nearly minute, and suddenly, on a gentle curb, I got a notification, something to the effect of "I can't do this anymore, you're going to have to drive now". Strongly suggest not using HA under those circumstances.
3. Perhaps related to the wind issues noted above (but not concurrent, and 15-20 miles further down the road), the steering wheel icon (indicating HA in use) would just grey out, with no notification or warning.
4. Beyond these problems, the system worked quite well. Steering, lane changes, maintaining distance, and even braking to a near stop were flawless. I didn't get any "keep your hands on the wheel" alerts, but then I didn't ever take my hands off the wheel.

I'll give it a shot later, with less traffic, and hopefully less wind. I might become a convert...

Got 2.0.18 last night, and took it out this morning for the 'calibration on the highway' drive, and a test of the HA. Only drove about 10 miles on the highway before I got the notification that HA was available, and so I turned it on. Total drive was about 80 miles on divided interstate. Initial impressions:
1. definitely experienced the 'acceleration flutter' that others have commented on. Wasn't annoyingly present, and if I hadn't been aware of it as a possibility, don't know if I would have noticed it.
2. Midway through the drive, the wind picked up dramatically- 20-30mph perpendicular to my route of travel. This made an otherwise pleasant experience become unpleasant. The car kept fighting the wind (and me) to keep the car centered. This continued for nearly minute, and suddenly, on a gentle curb, I got a notification, something to the effect of "I can't do this anymore, you're going to have to drive now". Strongly suggest not using HA under those circumstances.
3. Perhaps related to the wind issues noted above (but not concurrent, and 15-20 miles further down the road), the steering wheel icon (indicating HA in use) would just grey out, with no notification or warning.
4. Beyond these problems, the system worked quite well. Steering, lane changes, maintaining distance, and even braking to a near stop were flawless. I didn't get any "keep your hands on the wheel" alerts, but then I didn't ever take my hands off the wheel.

I'll give it a shot later, with less traffic, and hopefully less wind. I might become a convert...
When you reference not getting any hands on wheel alerts does this include reminders to torque the wheel? I'm curious how sensitive this is as I can rest my hand on my Tesla yoke and not get any alerts but I'm selling it for a Lucid and I'm concerned that I'm going to get reminder alerts and noises more frequently with this system

When you reference not getting any hands on wheel alerts does this include reminders to torque the wheel? I'm curious how sensitive this is as I can rest my hand on my Tesla yoke and not get any alerts but I'm selling it for a Lucid and I'm concerned that I'm going to get reminder alerts and noises more frequently with this system
If you just rest your hand in the lower left corner of the wheel the alerts don't come on.

Not a fan of lane centering (by any car) as I drive on plenty of "side" roads and often have to avoid large potholes and hydroplaning, so I keep lane centering off when using ACC. That said, ACC is pretty good. I wish it'd coast a little better when I turn it off (like the car does when letting off the pedal) so as not to feel like you've stepped on the brake. Also, when the car in front comes to a full stop (at a light, e.g.), I find that the car doesn't slow down w/ the car in front as much as it should, but rather brakes a bit aggressively (never had an issue, but if someone was following me, I usually step on the brake to avoid them slamming into me).

As for HA, it does re-enable lane centering and I've found the braking to be slightly less aggressive than ACC when the car in front comes to a stop. But, I've opted not to use HA unless I'm on an Interstate. When I activate it on a US-route, it's hit and miss. the right side of the road is not always clearly delineated and, especially in turns, I've had to avoid hitting bushes as the car veered right several times (one time, there was a dashed turning lane and it centered on the turning lane and my lane rather than my lane).

All in all, HA works "Ok" and fairly good on Interstates even w/ bumper to bumper traffic, but the lane centering needs to be less "feisty". Judging by the emphatic alerts, the car obviously wants you to pay attention and have hands on the wheel, but when you need to tug the wheel a bit (to avoid a pothole or debris) it feels like you're in an arm wrestling match. If you want me to be able to take over, then it shouldn't be a fight.

Nope, I just held the wheel as I normally would. When it would initiate a steer, I'd just go along with it, but no specific efforts required from me (that I could tell, anyway)

Under somewhat comical, got an Erratic Driving Warning a couple of days ago. At least I think that was the language.

Unlike Drowsy or Distracted warnings, this one didn't flash on quickly and go away. It was Red instead of Amber. Audible warning yelling at me, Steering wheel vibration, and flashing warning saying take a break immediately. This went on for 30 seconds or more. I rotated the wheel a bit, hit the brake and tried the accelerator. Nothing worked to clear it. Finally, went into the Settings under Dreamdrive and toggled the drowsy driver warning off and this turned it off.

Someone in another thread joked about a Drunk Driving Mode. Think this would actually work pretty well to wake up a sleepy driver or possibly alert a drunk driver.

Since it's in this thread, you can guess the punchline. It was in Highway Assist mode! 3 in the afternoon on a nice, sunny day with me running one of my range tests while in Highway Assist mode so I was paying attention.

I actually thought the car was doing just fine in HA mode but apparently the car didn't agree. Nothing like the car safety computer yelling at the autonomous driving computer. Felt like I was watching mommy yelling at daddy's driving.

First chance to try HA in the rain. We have moderate rain here today and it's working well. We have well marked roads and the system didn't have any trouble with the mild to moderate rain. Supposed to rain harder later today so I may try it later in that mess.

So which update got ha? I'm on .14 and don't get any steering wheel icon for ha... ive even tried to just hold down the dd button while in acc and nothing... hopefully I get more updates

So which update got ha? I'm on .14 and don't get any steering wheel icon for ha... ive even tried to just hold down the dd button while in acc and nothing... hopefully I get more updates
.15 is the main update, .18 adds HA

When I first started using Highway Assist, the car pulled left and would hug the the left side of the lane. This was a very consistent behavior. While my car was in for service last week, I had them do a four wheel alignment to center up the steering wheel. This seems to have fixed HA, it now centers in the lane very nicely. It is also quicker to resume after changing lanes. I have used HA three times since getting my car back and all times HA has been perfect. It is something to ask about if your car is not centering in the lane.

Back