Gravity Launch

Sorry. I didn't mean to bash lucid in any way. The Gravity is my dream car. I am just inquiring with regards to whether an 80k gravity has a chance of coming with at least a standard moonroof considering that other rivals have it.
You didn’t sound like you were bashing it; criticizing Lucid isn’t at all against the guidelines. It’s specifically the “but my $30k Oldsmobile has it” narrative that is discouraged in the guidelines; it’s not generally a good comparison, as it doesn’t take into account all of the things that the Air (or Gravity) offers that your $30k Camry doesn’t, and can’t. It’s a weak argument, hence why it’s discouraged.

I’d suggest reviewing the guidelines again, but otherwise we’re all good.

You didn’t sound like you were bashing it; criticizing Lucid isn’t at all against the guidelines. It’s specifically the “but my $30k Oldsmobile has it” narrative that is discouraged in the guidelines; it’s not generally a good comparison, as it doesn’t take into account all of the things that the Air (or Gravity) offers that your $30k Camry doesn’t, and can’t. It’s a weak argument, hence why it’s discouraged.

I’d suggest reviewing the guidelines again, but otherwise we’re all good.

Oops…I apologise retroactively. I’ve done the same thing, bringing up features in Kias, Hondas, Toyotas, etc. I’m the one that needs to read those guidelines again.

I think the merit of discussing features that are missing or included in a Lucid depends on context: how close are the compared cars in price, vehicle category, target market, etc.

For instance, there has been a lot of discussion on this forum about surround-view images and why Lucid had them at launch and Tesla still doesn't. But beyond that, their presence in less-expensive brands such as Kia or how much earlier they appeared on the market in those lesser brands was frequently brought up to make the point that, at certain price points and certain levels of technology content, certain features tend to become more expected.

There were similar discussions about heads-up displays and why the Mercedes EQS -- a car aiming at exactly the same market as Lucid -- had them but the Lucid Air didn't. (Note that they will be offered on the Gravity . . . perhaps partly because their utility for navigating and the interest in them was discussed at length on this forum.)

I think it's a very stick wicket to discourage comparisons of features among brands. If the comparison is so extreme as to render the point being made untenable, most readers here will pick up on that on their own or have it pointed out to them by responses from other posters.

I think the merit of discussing features that are missing or included in a Lucid depends on context: how close are the compared cars in price, vehicle category, target market, etc.

For instance, there has been a lot of discussion on this forum about surround-view images and why Lucid had them at launch and Tesla still doesn't. But beyond that, their presence in less-expensive brands such as Kia or how much earlier they appeared on the market in those lesser brands was frequently brought up to make the point that, at certain price points and certain levels of technology content, certain features tend to become more expected.

There were similar discussions about heads-up displays and why the Mercedes EQS -- a car aiming at exactly the same market as Lucid -- had them but the Lucid Air didn't. (Note that they will be offered on the Gravity . . . perhaps partly because their utility for navigating and the interest in them was discussed at length on this forum.)

I think it's a very stick wicket to discourage comparisons of features among brands. If the comparison is so extreme as to render the point being made untenable, most readers here will pick up on that on their own or have it pointed out to them by responses from other posters.
I agree to an extent. I would love to see, " I hope Lucid includes this feature which is available on a $39k vehicle" vs. "Lucid better have this feature or else they are a bunch of dumbasses.". Using the moonroof as an example, where do you put it on a solid roof gravity? Near the front? Towards the rear? It adds extra weight and engineering to the car. What purpose does it serve that the glass roof doesn't?

I agree to an extent. I would love to see, " I hope Lucid includes this feature which is available on a $39k vehicle" vs. "Lucid better have this feature or else they are a bunch of dumbasses.". Using the moonroof as an example, where do you put it on a solid roof gravity? Near the front? Towards the rear? It adds extra weight and engineering to the car. What purpose does it serve that the glass roof doesn't?
I also agree. The problem here is not explicitly people comparing the Lucid to lower priced cars, its the language they use while remarking about it.

Specifically for this example, I thought I heard somewhere every trim has a glass roof standard?

I also agree. The problem here is not explicitly people comparing the Lucid to lower priced cars, its the language they use while remarking about it.

Specifically for this example, I thought I heard somewhere every trim has a glass roof standard?
No official word yet.

For many years, I always got the moon roof option on whatever car would buy. And then I opened it five times in five years.

Given the hit to efficiency from the excess drag, a moonroof on an EV makes little sense. The glass roof provides better UV protection and the same view.

Sorry. I didn't mean to bash lucid in any way. The Gravity is my dream car. I am just inquiring with regards to whether an 80k gravity has a chance of coming with at least a standard moonroof considering that other rivals have it.
Comparing is one of the

For many years, I always got the moon roof option on whatever car would buy. And then I opened it five times in five years.

Given the hit to efficiency from the excess drag, a moonroof on an EV makes little sense. The glass roof provides better UV protection and the same view.
That was the word I meant😅... at least adding a normally fixed glass roof since it really adds to the lucid character, and is even more important on an SUV. It seems to be a huge touchpoint for people on the air pure.

That was the word I meant😅... at least adding a normally fixed glass roof since it really adds to the lucid character, and is even more important on an SUV. It seems to be a huge touchpoint for people on the air pure.
Funny thing, my other two SUVs both have full glass roofs. They also have integrated sunshades that can be retracted. I literally keep the sunshades deployed at all times. It gets pretty warm here in San Diego.

Admittedly, I’m somewhat disappointed by the visor position on the Air. I love the big windshield but the effect is significantly diminished by the visor being in the way. There might as well be a bar across the top of the windshield and have the glass be a separate piece with this arrangement. I understand the reasoning behind it (easy easy to flip down at a moment’s notice) which makes perfect sense to me, but yet when I was recently in a Model X I was floored by what a big difference it makes. For the Air, I bought the accessory mesh parts and installed them. I haven’t removed them since.

I’m not sure if they will have a metal roof on certain variants of the Gravity. I don’t think anyone outside of Lucid has that answer at this time. To reach the price point that they desire, that might become necessary. Large pieces of curved glass are very expensive to manufacture and also to warranty.

If they do have a large piece of glass like was shown at the LA Auto Show, I at least hope that they have a way to cover it without having to insert a separate piece of mesh like we do in the Air. I’d love some sort of deployable sunshade. Even cooler would be glass that can be made opaque at the touch of a button but certainly this would be significantly more expensive.

My wife’s XC40 EV has the retractable sunshade which is great but that’s a flat glass roof. I don’t see how it could be done in the Lucid for the front cabin as the curve in the glass is pretty far back. Even though it fries my head I like the glass roof not covered because I like the open feel it has so I put up with it haha. Keeping the visors at the angle where you barely see them helps with the visor problem, though I agree the Tesla visor setup is better. None of these things are something that bothers me, but they are examples of compromising on a thing so you don’t have to compromise on a priority design goal. There’s probably a reason why they can’t attach the visor to the A pillar.

My wife’s XC40 EV has the retractable sunshade which is great but that’s a flat glass roof. I don’t see how it could be done in the Lucid for the front cabin as the curve in the glass is pretty far back. Even though it fries my head I like the glass roof not covered because I like the open feel it has so I put up with it haha. Keeping the visors at the angle where you barely see them helps with the visor problem, though I agree the Tesla visor setup is better. None of these things are something that bothers me, but they are examples of compromising on a thing so you don’t have to compromise on a priority design goal. There’s probably a reason why they can’t attach the visor to the A pillar.
Besides being patented, the quickness of use and simplicity is what the design team said they put above being able to stow it away.

I've actually thought about removing the visors and keeping a couple of long-bill baseball caps in the car when needed to shield the eyes. But then I found out that you cannot just reglue the visors and instead have to replace the windshield when it comes time to sell the car. And there is no easy place to store two baseball caps.

I've actually thought about removing the visors and keeping a couple of long-bill baseball caps in the car when needed to shield the eyes. But then I found out that you cannot just reglue the visors and instead have to replace the windshield when it comes time to sell the car. And there is no easy place to store two baseball caps.
You could just unscrew them off the mounts and leave the mounts up since the black circles are there regardless

You could just unscrew them off the mounts and leave the mounts up since the black circles are there regardless

I hadn't thought of that, but having just the two pucks on the glass might look worse . . . although it would open up the view.

Back