Gravity Launch

Ain't it the truth. Well, I'm still looking forward to putting in my order for our new Gravitas, er, Graviton, er, Gravellon, er Gravyboat, er . . . .
If the car is called Gravellon, or Gravyboat then I would want nothing to do with that car from that point on 🤣

Worst case, rename.
I don't know if it's just my limited knowledge of the law in this regard, but isnt Gravity just a broader term, in addition to the fact that they both serve in different spaces (although they are both EV related)? Wouldn't it only be a trademark violation if they both were in the same space (eg: there was another car called the fisker gravity)?

I don't know if it's just my limited knowledge of the law in this regard, but isnt Gravity just a broader term, in addition to the fact that they both serve in different spaces (although they are both EV related)? Wouldn't it only be a trademark violation if they both were in the same space (eg: there was another car called the fisker gravity)?
That’s what the lawsuit indicates, that they are in the same space. The defense is, they are not.

Can't believe you said Gravy boat instead of the obvious Gravytrain...I'm in for this. Lucid Gravytrain

Patent and trademark law is a minefield. Although U.S. trademark law says that generic or geographic terms cannot be trademarked, try telling that to Apple, Amazon, even Lucid.

After retirement, my college linguistics professor had a very lucrative second career as a consultant for patent and trademark court cases. In discovery and at trial there could be reams of essays and hours of testimony on the origin of words, their changing use over time, regional differences in their use, whether or not a word had become genericized, etc. His billing for a big case often ran into six figures, and he wasn't even one of the attorneys.

If you're really interested in the subject, you might start here:

Patent and trademark law is a minefield. Although U.S. trademark law says that generic or geographic terms cannot be trademarked, try telling that to Apple, Amazon, even Lucid.

After retirement, my college linguistics professor had a very lucrative second career as a consultant for patent and trademark court cases. In discovery and at trial there could be reams of essays and hours of testimony on the origin of words, their changing use over time, regional differences in their use, whether or not a word had become genericized, etc. His billing for a big case often ran into six figures, and he wasn't even one of the attorneys.

If you're really interested in the subject, you might start here:

Simply put, infringement claim = lots of time x lots of $ x lots of lawyers x lots of unwanted media. UGH!

How about Lucid Ether?
1710336361421.png

So, an SUV that puts people to sleep when they drive it?!

Yeah it’s part of their meditation/relaxation space themes!

Back