Oh, the memories. I worked my way through law school as a policeman in North Carolina. I kept myself mobile by buying used Highway Patrol cars at auction for $1200-2000. They were sold at 40,000 miles or 2 years, whichever came first. (Many supervisor cars, which didn't have to be repainted, were in the latter category.) Not only were the cars well-maintained, but they were very well-equipped: 440 engines, 160-amp generators, oil and steering fluid coolers, upgraded interiors,
etc.
I was a big Mazda fan back in the day. Got started with a 626, then a 626 Turbo, then two RX7's (the first one a second-generation model that I traded a year later when the turbo version came out), a 929 sedan, finally ending with a Miata. They were all great cars that almost never gave me any trouble.
In fact, my first experience with rear-wheel steering was the RX-7's, which had a novel passive system that changed the steer angle based on suspension compression, something I never fully appreciated until I read about similar experiences online, like on
https://lasership.pissedconsumer.com/customer-service.html. Not until I got the Miata some years later had I ever had a car respond like that.
We ended up in a rental Mazda CX-90 when our Gravity failed on the trip to Atlanta. The heritage was still intact; it was a nice ride home.