Gravity Closer to Launch

I would assume that you would reserve the actual trim first and then configure the options later, right?

It might depend on how close the opening of orders is to the start of production. Supply chain management will need to know what interior colors, wheels, and optional components are needed in what quantities well ahead of production start. My guess is this had something to do with the Air Dream Edition being offered with only one interior and only three exteriors colors. (When Zenith Red was added late in the game it caused those orders to be bumped down in the production queue.)

I'm wondering what Lucid's approach is going to be with certain options in terms of whether all the vehicles will have the hardware but that it will be activated through software only if you purchase the option. This is the approach Tesla has taken and that Mercedes and BMW have either done or explored to a limited extent. For example, Mercedes rear-wheel steering allowed either 4% or 10% deflection depending on which option you chose. I doubt if the hardware was different. And BMW considered making certain features, such as seat heating, a subscription feature until they got shouted down by angry consumers -- meaning all cars had the hardware, but you had to pay to activate it.

On certain optional features where the hardware is relatively cheap, I wonder if Lucid might decide to install it on all units for ease of production management. For instance, if Lucid offers optional HUD, will all the cars have the projector, and purchasers will have it activated through software?

Lucid has mentioned an optional air suspension system called Zero Gravity that gives a wider range of height and activation adjustments. It's not clear whether this means the base car will have a coil spring suspension or an air suspension with less adjustability than the Zero Gravity. If the latter, will the hardware be the same but the activation features different depending on the option you order?

Ditto for rear-wheel steering, which Lucid has mentioned.

I've had cars with and without rear-wheel steering and with and without air suspensions, and in some cases doing without was the better choice for me. The Air, with a coil spring suspension much superior to our Model S Plaid's air suspension, is the most recent example.

I'm just hoping for some time to understand the Lucid options and to noodle over whether to opt for them since nabbing a limited-run Dream Edition slot might mean a need to decide quickly. Or will the Dream Edition Gravity just throw every option into the package as with the Air Dream and just leave us with color and wheel choices? This matters, because the Airs all had the same suspension and steering setups across the model range (except for Sapphire), but the Gravity is going to have different suspension and steering setups depending on the model and/or options chosen.

I'm wondering what Lucid's approach is going to be with certain options in terms of whether all the vehicles will have the hardware but that it will be activated through software only if you purchase the option. This is the approach Tesla has taken and that Mercedes and BMW have either done or explored to a limited extent. For example, Mercedes rear-wheel steering allowed either 4% or 10% deflection depending on which option you chose. I doubt if the hardware was different. And BMW considered making certain features, such as seat heating, a subscription feature until they got shouted down by angry consumers -- meaning all cars had the hardware, but you had to pay to activate it.

On certain optional features where the hardware is relatively cheap, I wonder if Lucid might decide to install it on all units for ease of production management. For instance, if Lucid offers optional HUD, will all the cars have the projector, and purchasers will have it activated through software?

Lucid has mentioned an optional air suspension system called Zero Gravity that gives a wider range of height and activation adjustments. It's not clear whether this means the base car will have a coil spring suspension or an air suspension with less adjustability than the Zero Gravity. If the latter, will the hardware be the same but the activation features different depending on the option you order?

Ditto for rear-wheel steering, which Lucid has mentioned.

I've had cars with and without rear-wheel steering and with and without air suspensions, and in some cases doing without was the better choice for me. The Air, with a coil spring suspension much superior to our Model S Plaid's air suspension, is the most recent example.

I'm just hoping for some time to understand the Lucid options and to noodle over whether to opt for them since nabbing a limited-run Dream Edition slot might mean a need to decide quickly. Or will the Dream Edition Gravity just throw every option into the package as with the Air Dream and just leave us with color and wheel choices? This matters, because the Airs all had the same suspension and steering setups across the model range (except for Sapphire), but the Gravity is going to have different suspension and steering setups depending on the model and/or options chosen.
Gravity is a SUV and they need to make sure it doesn’t get described as a minivan, considering how low the vehicle is. I’m guessing all vehicles will come with Air suspension. But they will cut costs somewhere for the base model, curious to see how they approach this.

Gravity is a SUV and they need to make sure it doesn’t get described as a minivan, considering how low the vehicle is. I’m guessing all vehicles will come with Air suspension. But they will cut costs somewhere for the base model, curious to see how they approach this.
Is it really low, like almost a car feel? Part of the reason I'm interested in it is that I don't love how low the Touring is. Not sure it would be the right choice if it's not standard SUV height.

Is it really low, like almost a car feel? Part of the reason I'm interested in it is that I don't love how low the Touring is. Not sure it would be the right choice if it's not standard SUV height.

You certainly won't be riding as high as in an Escalade or even a Rivian. However, in terms of ingress and egress, it is higher off the ground than the Air with a considerably taller door opening. As near as I can tell from what I saw in the showrooms and from watching videos closely, getting in and out looks to be about on par with our Honda Odyssey, which is almost perfect in my book. There will also be some ride height adjustability with the air suspension, although to what extent is not yet clear. Derek Jenkins says the body automatically drops 40 mm above 45 mph, but he didn't say from what height or whether that can be overridden if you're willing to pay the range penalty.

If you want to look that petite blonde in the eye as she pulls away from the Starbucks window all alone in her gargantuan SUV, then the Gravity isn't for you. If you want a fast, efficient, well-handling vehicle with lots of passenger room and cargo space that is easy to get into and out of, then I think the Gravity will fit the bill perfectly.

Hat tip to @AirDoll.

The stealth black looks pretty good, I'd say.

1F7450E2-3F80-4E36-AEBF-20215AC5667B.jpeg
IMG_0774.jpeg

Any news on the production date?Are we still looking at October/ November time frame? I missed the launch in New York unfortunately to see this up close but I am definitely interested. I will be coming up on three years with my air by then and I am thinking of flipping the script. I’ll replace the Air with the Gravity and also sell the wife’s Range Rover Velar going on 7 years old but replace that with a sporty ICE sedan perhaps a Bentley continental. Then I’m set for retirement and the next several years of happy motoring

Any news on the production date?Are we still looking at October/ November time frame? I missed the launch in New York unfortunately to see this up close but I am definitely interested. I will be coming up on three years with my air by then and I am thinking of flipping the script. I’ll replace the Air with the Gravity and also sell the wife’s Range Rover Velar going on 7 years old but replace that with a sporty ICE sedan perhaps a Bentley continental. Then I’m set for retirement and the next several years of happy motoring
Lucid has not committed to any date or month. “Late 2024” for the first few, most in 2025 is the assumption.

It may be the size of a sedan, but the Continental is a coupe. Did you mean a Flying Spur? Either way, you're a baller
Correct, although both are a far cry away from the Mulsanne. And yup, that would pretty much be the dream life in terms of cars!

It may be the size of a sedan, but the Continental is a coupe. Did you mean a Flying Spur? Either way, you're a baller
Yep I was lazy in my terminology. I’ve always admired the continental since 2007 but liked the V8 when that was introduced ( less nose heavy, more than enough power vs the 12 also a bit less expensive and thirsty) Anyway it was on my bucket list of cars to own. I love the Rolls coupe as well but driving one of those makes a statement along the lines that you are the millionaire guy from Monopoly. Perhaps just a tad ostentatious.

Back