Off-Topic GMC Hummer EV

GM is saving all semi-conductor parts to Bolt due to supply chain constraints and maximize their production output.

No soup for me Hummer EV SUV, but I’m very content ended up with R1S.

That's why I won't get mine until fall!
Well, GM just sent an email asking me to pick my options and finalize my reservation. That's a good sign but still no ETA other than "Fall 2023".

Well, GM just sent an email asking me to pick my options and finalize my reservation. That's a good sign but still no ETA other than "Fall 2023".
Btw, GM recently announced this is their last year for Bolt EV production, so they may save chips for higher class models.

If Rivian send you something like that, they claim it’s 3-5 months out. So you are getting close.

If Rivian send you something like that, they claim it’s 3-5 months out. So you are getting close.
Or .. in my case, Rivian would just be teasing me and then 4 months later put me in permanent hold (which they just confirmed via email .. again) .. ugh!

😞

that said .. at least Rivian acknowledges me (even if to taunt me), whereas GMC has gone dark .. like Black-Hole/lost-my-number dark .. on me.

So, I got to test drive a Hummer EV SUV Edition 1 today for about 20 minutes.

Here are my thoughts based upon very limited driving time.

Big step up to get in and out of so my wife said that she won't be riding in it! It feels a lot smaller inside and driving that it looks from the outside. Fast, not Dream Edition fast, but still not bad. Very smooth power curve and very little road noise, which I did not expect! Brakes are very good even without regen turned on. Almost zero body roll and it can turn on a dime.

The interior is not plush, but it's not designed to be a luxury vehicle. All-in-all, a nice EV SUV. The question for me is would I rather have the Hummer or a Rivian RS1. Not sure.

Big step up to get in and out of so my wife said that she won't be riding in it! It feels a lot smaller inside and driving that it looks from the outside. Fast, not Dream Edition fast, but still not bad. Very smooth power curve and very little road noise, which I did not expect! Brakes are very good even without regen turned on. Almost zero body roll and it can turn on a dime.

The interior is not plush, but it's not designed to be a luxury vehicle. All-in-all, a nice EV SUV. The question for me is would I rather have the Hummer or a Rivian RS1. Not sure.
Are people still getting the big returns on Hummer flips? If so, I would get the Hummer and flip it for a free or discounted R1S. As cool as the Hummer is, I can’t imagine it is that practical unless you plan on invading Afghanistan or something.

Depends on how you like the aesthetics and use case. If you think you will drive a lot and go on road trips, R1S for agility (parking garage) and less battery charging time. If you just drive occasionally, Hummer EV SUV may be a much cooler unique beast suits Texas size mentality.

Are people still getting the big returns on Hummer flips? If so, I would get the Hummer and flip it for a free or discounted R1S. As cool as the Hummer is, I can’t imagine it is that practical unless you plan on invading Afghanistan or something.
The trucks seem to be holding their value because they are so hard to get. If I flip the Hummer, GM will cancel the warranty!

I will probably keep the Navigator for road trips as it has the highest "wife appeal". ;-)

The trucks seem to be holding their value because they are so hard to get. If I flip the Hummer, GM will cancel the warranty!

I will probably keep the Navigator for road trips as it has the highest "wife appeal". ;-)
I think that the perfect car for you is the Escalade IQ! Gets revealed on August 9th, if you can wait will then..

I think that the perfect car for you is the Escalade IQ! Gets revealed on August 9th, if you can wait will then..
The perfect vehicle would be a Navigator EV but that's too far off. ;)

I am interested in seeing the Escalate, for sure.

The perfect vehicle would be a Navigator EV but that's too far off. ;)

I am interested in seeing the Escalate, for sure.
For sure! In fact, I love lincolns much more than any GM product, mainly because of the small touches.
The symphonic chimes, the MUCH better backseat experience(vented rear) and it just feels more luxe for some reason.
Nav EV due in 2026/7 though, and that is way too long. Maybe cadillac will use the lessons from the celestiq in the Escalade IQ?(already confirmed to have that giant screen... who knows what else)

Wow! While that stinks for you, that’s pretty cool that GM is doing that. The flipping was a major problem for Rivian and kept many would be end users from being able to get one.

Wow! While that stinks for you, that’s pretty cool that GM is doing that. The flipping was a major problem for Rivian and kept many would be end users from being able to get one.
I had planned to flip the AMG EQS for a $65K profit, until my wife decided that "it's cute"!

If I remember correctly your Hummer EV SUV reservation is a year ahead of mine ... (mine is due out "Late 2024") .. my Rivian R1S order is on permanent hold (so, likely NOT going to see that before the Hummer) and my Volvo EX90 (plan C) reservation is potentially going to see a Mid 2024 delivery date. .. My wife's been waiting since we reserved the R1S (mid 2021) for a replacement to her large ICE SUV, but w/ 150K miles on hers, looks like I can't wait for the EV SUVs and may have to buy her another ICE SUV .. :(

Will take another look at the Navigator ...

If I remember correctly your Hummer EV SUV reservation is a year ahead of mine ... (mine is due out "Late 2024") .. my Rivian R1S order is on permanent hold (so, likely NOT going to see that before the Hummer) and my Volvo EX90 (plan C) reservation is potentially going to see a Mid 2024 delivery date. .. My wife's been waiting since we reserved the R1S (mid 2021) for a replacement to her large ICE SUV, but w/ 150K miles on hers, looks like I can't wait for the EV SUVs and may have to buy her another ICE SUV .. :(

Will take another look at the Navigator ...

Or you can go for a slightly used one. I see them around $85k ~ $90k now at Carsandbids.com

Wait, how does flipping it cancel the warranty (besides physically flipping it :) ) That sounds very illegal.

Or you can go for a slightly used one. I see them around $85k ~ $90k now at Carsandbids.com
Yes, they seems to be settling into an 84,000 to 86,000k range, plus the premium. I’m pretty sure we are going to start seeing resales at or close to OG pricing soon. The fact that I'm getting mine pretty much confirms that the super ramp is here.

Back