GM released v2h

One thing I don't understand is the Lucid charger doesn't have a neutral.. I'm pretty sure that would be required for V2H to work. Someone with better electrical engineering skills can tell me I'm wrong. :)
Lucid's LCHCS will require a neutral-balancing autotransformer in addition to a transfer switch to be able to power a home. This is a standard technology for solar inverters which only output single phase 240VAC. The autotransformer is a large center-tapped inductor which creates a neutral that is forced to be midway between the 240V legs, regardless of 120V load imbalance. I didn't know this at first either, and was similarly perplexed as to how the LCHCS could work in the USA for V2H.

The Enphase system controller I'm planning to have installed in the next couple of months includes an autotransformer. Sadly it isn't likely to work with my Air if/when V2H is introduced.

So do you know how much the "autotransformer" might cost?

A 100A autotransformer is around $500 from solar stores.

Agreed, and I'm guessing a box with both autotransformer and transfer switch would be around $1K. Add another $1-2K worth of permitting and installation.

A decent electrical engineer willing to risk their car's warranty could take the current V2V RangeXchange cable, build a J1772 car charge port emulator, add an autotransformer, and turn their Lucid into a 19.6kW backup generator (V2L). V2H requires that additional transfer switch and a day or so of installation.

Agreed, and I'm guessing a box with both autotransformer and transfer switch would be around $1K. Add another $1-2K worth of permitting and installation.

A decent electrical engineer willing to risk their car's warranty could take the current V2V RangeXchange cable, build a J1772 car charge port emulator, add an autotransformer, and turn their Lucid into a 19.6kW backup generator (V2L). V2H requires that additional transfer switch and a day or so of installation.
I have a full solar installation on my home so does that mean I have the autotransformer and transfer switch already installed? If so, can my LCHCS V2H/G piggyback on that existing installation??

I have a full solar installation on my home so does that mean I have the autotransformer and transfer switch already installed? If so, can my LCHCS V2H/G piggyback on that existing installation??
You'll have a transfer switch only if your home solar system has batteries that can power your home when PGE power is out.

If you do have home backup batteries already, it's unknown how or if Lucid's V2H solution would integrate with it, as no details have been released.

You'll have a transfer switch only if your home solar system has batteries that can power your home when PGE power is out.

If you do have home backup batteries already, it's unknown how or if Lucid's V2H solution would integrate with it, as no details have been released.
Yeah I don't have the backup batteries because I was certain Lucid would release their V2H/V2G solution during 2022 but obviously I was wrong.

Yeah I don't have the backup batteries because I was certain Lucid would release their V2H/V2G solution during 2022 but obviously I was wrong.
Same here, I'm now going to Plan B and having new solar with battery backup installed, for the price of a midrange car after the 30% tax credit.

Further press releases from GM
Yeah so it makes sense for GM and Ford and somehow they know how to do it. So what is the holdup Lucid?? At least give us some feedback on when/if we can expect this feature please.

Yeah exactly my point!! We need better communication please. If its not going to happen then just tell us and we can arrange other alternatives.

Lucid's LCHCS will require a neutral-balancing autotransformer in addition to a transfer switch to be able to power a home. This is a standard technology for solar inverters which only output single phase 240VAC. The autotransformer is a large center-tapped inductor which creates a neutral that is forced to be midway between the 240V legs, regardless of 120V load imbalance. I didn't know this at first either, and was similarly perplexed as to how the LCHCS could work in the USA for V2H.

The Enphase system controller I'm planning to have installed in the next couple of months includes an autotransformer. Sadly it isn't likely to work with my Air if/when V2H is introduced.
DeaneG, will you use the Enphase charger or is that included within the system controller? We had a 10 hour blackout two days ago and it would have been handy.
I don't know much about generators but I thought they were not for the whole house but selected appliances. I guess if you got a large enough generator...but I wonder what the cost would be?

DeaneG, will you use the Enphase charger or is that included within the system controller? We had a 10 hour blackout two days ago and it would have been handy.
I don't know much about generators but I thought they were not for the whole house but selected appliances. I guess if you got a large enough generator...but I wonder what the cost would be?
I'm planning to replace one of my two home chargers with the Enphase IQ, as it can modulate the car's charging rate to consume only excess solar generation - avoiding selling it back cheaply to my utility company. But it's unidirectional. We'll see how well this works.

Enphase has announced that they'll support bidirectional charging with compatible vehicles with a future Enphase product, but personally I wouldn't start holding your breath for it.

I'm also installing 25kWh of backup/load shifting batteries for while-house backup. A smaller battery would work for a selected-load backup, but wouldn't be as effective at shifting my home's total load in normal daily use. I need to load shift to avoid buying electricity from my utility at high rates.

Backup, either by battery or generator, can be for the whole house or just for a selected portion of the loads. Installation labor can cost as much as the equipment itself.

Last edited:
Back