Glass Canopy concerns.

nautchilous

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Touring
This question is really directed towards current Lucid owners. I recently upgraded from the Pure to Touring with the hopes of getting my car this year. i am not a huge fan of the Panoramic glass roof. My current Model S as it and it still gets pretty warm in the summer…If I get the upgrade, I plan to get it tinted with the darkest Cermic Nano tint available. as anyone gotten their glass roof tinted? I would imagine the install would be difficult since the sun visors look to be built into the windshield ( I could be wrong). How is the heat from the glass canopy? Any input would be greatly appreciated….I think the solid roof would take away from the wow factor when you enter the vehicle ☺️

I only did 70 on the front and 50 in the back but it helped quite a bit. Windshield was not an issue to do in 1 piece according to the tinter.

With the understanding that others AC systems may not work as well or have issues, I have not had problems with heat and the glass canopy despite not having the windshield tinted. I have the 4 side windows and rear window tinted at 20, and it has made a big difference. The major reason I am not planning to get my windshield tinted is that I live in AZ and replacing windshields seems to be an annual occurrence given the rocks and other debris that fly up. It's important to remember that if you live in a place where you have a reasonable likelihood of needing yours replaced, you will also have to get that re-tinted. The time and money relative to the improvement in cooling was not worth it to me.

If this is a concern, I'd recommend getting the other windows tinted first and see if that does the trick. We've been having brutally hot weather in AZ this week, and the car has done great. Again, your car and/or heat preference may not be the same, but certainly wouldn't hurt to try it without first.

With the understanding that others AC systems may not work as well or have issues, I have not had problems with heat and the glass canopy despite not having the windshield tinted. I have the 4 side windows and rear window tinted at 20, and it has made a big difference. The major reason I am not planning to get my windshield tinted is that I live in AZ and replacing windshields seems to be an annual occurrence given the rocks and other debris that fly up. It's important to remember that if you live in a place where you have a reasonable likelihood of needing yours replaced, you will also have to get that re-tinted. The time and money relative to the improvement in cooling was not worth it to me.

If this is a concern, I'd recommend getting the other windows tinted first and see if that does the trick. We've been having brutally hot weather in AZ this week, and the car has done great. Again, your car and/or heat preference may not be the same, but certainly wouldn't hurt to try it without first.
Thanks Maverick…I have had no issues with rock chips with my Tesla ….It would be crazy to do the touring without the roof 😉

Thanks Maverick…I have had no issues with rock chips with my Tesla ….It would be crazy to do the touring without the roof 😉
Wish I had your luck. One month in and a rock chip that required a replacement. Don't get me started on the number of Jeep windshields I've had.

Wish I had your luck. One month in and a rock chip that required a replacement. Don't get me started on the number of Jeep windshields I've had.

I agree. My BMW is on its second windshield and has two rock chips but with a HUD, I would rather not replace the windshield if I don't have to and the chips are not in my main field of view.

This question is really directed towards current Lucid owners. I recently upgraded from the Pure to Touring with the hopes of getting my car this year. i am not a huge fan of the Panoramic glass roof. My current Model S as it and it still gets pretty warm in the summer…If I get the upgrade, I plan to get it tinted with the darkest Cermic Nano tint available. as anyone gotten their glass roof tinted? I would imagine the install would be difficult since the sun visors look to be built into the windshield ( I could be wrong). How is the heat from the glass canopy? Any input would be greatly appreciated….I think the solid roof would take away from the wow factor when you enter the vehicle ☺️

I don't know what year Model S you have, but the updated Model S -- and well as the Lucid Air and the Rivians -- use a new glass that is much more effective than glass from only a few years ago in blocking not only UV but also IR radiation.

We live in south Florida and have had no issues with the glass canopy in our Lucid or the glass roof in our Model S Plaid, even without applying any film. Driving for hours on sunny days in a recent road trip into the Carolinas in 100+ degree heat and sitting for prolonged periods in an airport cell phone parking lot in southwest Florida on sunny summer days we have found the A/C capable of keeping the cabins comfortable. Nor is sun glare through the top of the roofs the problem I thought it might be. (In our 2015 metal-roofed Model S we used the real window mesh sunscreen. I haven't even bothered with one in the new Tesla, despite its full glass roof.)

I don't know where you live, but one of the biggest accessory drains on EV range comes from heating the cabin in cold weather with resistance heating, which is what Lucid uses. If you live in a climate with cold winters, you might be better off with higher A/C use in the summer and less reliance on resistance heating in the winter, when the battery pack is already being taxed by the low temperature.

This is not an argument not to apply a film, which I'm sure would make some difference. My point is rather that the glass as it comes from the factory might surprise you with its performance.

lol….I a just to go ahead and get the glass canopy….

I just took a drive when it was 113 outside, car said it was 115. No issues, AC set to 72 on auto, fan speed was about 6. I was very comfortable. No tint on the windshield or ceiling, 45% on the sides and rear. I doubt that I will tint the windshield. The big advantage may be that the car interior would heat up slower if the windshield was tinted.

I just took a drive when it was 113 outside, car said it was 115. No issues, AC set to 72 on auto, fan speed was about 6. I was very comfortable. No tint on the windshield or ceiling, 45% on the sides and rear. I doubt that I will tint the windshield. The big advantage may be that the car interior would heat up slower if the windshield was tinted.
So today was the second day my car sat outside in the heat for over 6 hours. Outside temp yesterday was 95 and today 92. Got in the car and opened all the windows. After about two minutes closed the windows and drove off and car cooled down in less than five minutes. No tint anywhere. No big deal but I'm not in over 100 degree heat let alone 113.

The UV on the glass is very good. I’ve not tinted anything and the AC has been able to keep up. I’ve been from Dallas to Daytona and now South Carolina. I would definitely go with the glass roof and after delivery give it a few weeks and make a determination for yourself. I will probably tint the side windows, but stay stock on the roof in SC.

If insurance hadn't paid it, it's $2500 including labor. I think the windshield itself is $1500.
Maybe you mentioned this in another thread, but which glass company did you use for the windshield replacement, or did Lucid do it?

As for window tint, I have the glass company (Bluechip), take the windshield to Cactus auto tint and have them do the tint before replacing the glass. Now, it seems that my insurance company (Allstate) covers replacement tint. This worked great when I had to replace the windshield and tint on my Model Y.

Maybe you mentioned this in another thread, but which glass company did you use for the windshield replacement, or did Lucid do it?

As for window tint, I have the glass company (Bluechip), take the windshield to Cactus auto tint and have them do the tint before replacing the glass. Now, it seems that my insurance company (Allstate) covers replacement tint. This worked great when I had to replace the windshield and tint on my Model Y.
At this point, Lucid is the only place that can do it. It's a fairly involved job that requires two people as well as a half a day of calibration. I think someone else on the board attempted to have a chip patched by Safelite, but it didn't take, so he wound up having the whole thing replaced. I suspect that given the complexity and the relative scarcity of replacement windshields Lucid will be the sole installer for quite awhile.

At this point, Lucid is the only place that can do it. It's a fairly involved job that requires two people as well as a half a day of calibration. I think someone else on the board attempted to have a chip patched by Safelite, but it didn't take, so he wound up having the whole thing replaced. I suspect that given the complexity and the relative scarcity of replacement windshields Lucid will be the sole installer for quite awhile.
Based on this I’m guessing windshield replacement can only be done at a service center (not mobile visit)?

I just finalized my order on a Lucid Air Touring. I elected the metal roof. My present cars have sunf roofs, and the only time I open them is to pop the back off them up to vent the cabin. I don't like the overhead glare. My other concern was windshield replacement. I have never had a car that did not eventually need the windshield replaced. In your post you said "One month in and a rock chip that required a replacement." That was another reason for choosing the metal roof. Seems like replacing the Lucid glass roofed windshield would be a complicated, expensive affair that maybe only LUCID could perform?
One month in and a rock chip that required a replacement.

Live in Scottsdale and have never lived anywhere with so many cracked windshields. Hope the replacement went quickly.

Not sure I like the tint. Wish I would have waited a year to see if I need it. I Like the rear window tint = night driving; and the rear sides for privacy...but tinting everything seems to have crushed the joy out of my Lucid occupant experience. I would have counseled my past self to wait and see. If anyone is wondering, tinting the front @ 70% did not stop the reflection of the dash stitching.

Not sure I like the tint. Wish I would have waited a year to see if I need it. I Like the rear window tint = night driving; and the rear sides for privacy...but tinting everything seems to have crushed the joy out of my Lucid occupant experience. I would have counseled my past self to wait and see. If anyone is wondering, tinting the front @ 70% did not stop the reflection of the dash stitching.
You can get the tint removed easily - most shops will even do it for free.

Why don’t you like the windshield tint? I ask because I’m strongly considering doing it.

Back