Glass Canopy concerns.

I am torn with respect to the windshield/glass roof tint and might even have them remove just the windshield and end the tint at the sun visors. I realize this might be apparent, but I do like the fact that it helps the roof not get as hot (and the car). Being follicly challenged (or further along in the evolutionary process as one of my high school teachers used to say), I could feel much more heat coming off the roof last summer before the tint than after the tint.

The tint on the windshield did not help the reflection much, but it does add a sort of glare of its' own. I am going to wait though and see what I think in another few thousand miles.

I am torn with respect to the windshield/glass roof tint and might even have them remove just the windshield and end the tint at the sun visors. I realize this might be apparent, but I do like the fact that it helps the roof not get as hot (and the car). Being follicly challenged (or further along in the evolutionary process as one of my high school teachers used to say), I could feel much more heat coming off the roof last summer before the tint than after the tint.

The tint on the windshield did not help the reflection much, but it does add a sort of glare of its' own. I am going to wait though and see what I think in another few thousand miles.
What kind of glare? What didn’t you like about it? Again, asking before I do it on mine. :)

Not sure I like the tint. Wish I would have waited a year to see if I need it. I Like the rear window tint = night driving; and the rear sides for privacy...but tinting everything seems to have crushed the joy out of my Lucid occupant experience. I would have counseled my past self to wait and see. If anyone is wondering, tinting the front @ 70% did not stop the reflection of the dash stitching.
Have you tried polarized sunglasses? I have the same issue on my i4, but wearing polarized sunglasses totally eliminates the issue. Of course it also renders the HUD almost invisible, so it's give & take.

What kind of glare? What didn’t you like about it? Again, asking before I do it on mine. :)

I got the windshield tinted at 70%, and supposedly 98% “heat rejection” capable. I thought the 98% heat rejection-thing was marketing baloney but decided to get it done anyway. I have to tell you, with the sun bearing down on you from on high, there is a decided difference between how warm it gets, driving my tinted Air GT and driving our non-tinted Model X100D.

I’ve never gotten too hot in my Air GT, and it’s never gotten too warm; whereas the only time we remove the mesh screen from the upper windshield of our Model X is either this time of year (winter and early Spring), or at night.

Seems like the stuff at 98” heat rejection really works. I’ll know with absolute certainty when the warmer months of July, August and September roll around again. I had the windshield tint applied this past Octobwer 2022:

The tint shop I chose in San Diego also did a spectacular job. No seams, no breaks, no bubbles, no awkward cutouts around the sunvisor stoppers:

Attachments

• 4F15FC26-0B09-4D04-9416-A7D1A0A4ABA1.jpeg
    4F15FC26-0B09-4D04-9416-A7D1A0A4ABA1.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 112
  • 1FCA8472-D6B8-4466-ABB0-E5D342161953.jpeg
    1FCA8472-D6B8-4466-ABB0-E5D342161953.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 113
  • 3A83135E-E39C-42BE-B29B-4D474EF616BA.jpeg
    3A83135E-E39C-42BE-B29B-4D474EF616BA.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 107
  • 2CBB9AEB-EC17-436F-8597-CDA1ABB6460A.jpeg
    2CBB9AEB-EC17-436F-8597-CDA1ABB6460A.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 101
  • A8480D76-664C-4328-9C83-EC7DE9AEE3AC.jpeg
    A8480D76-664C-4328-9C83-EC7DE9AEE3AC.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 102
  • 7A579907-1414-48ED-BD7A-E7DF35DBC40B.jpeg
    7A579907-1414-48ED-BD7A-E7DF35DBC40B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 112
It's not really a glare per se, but maybe more of a haze. I may just be too critical. It has also been a while since I cleaned the interior, so I might update this after the weekend.

Have you tried polarized sunglasses? I have the same issue on my i4, but wearing polarized sunglasses totally eliminates the issue. Of course it also renders the HUD almost invisible, so it's give & take.
I find polarized sunglasses are excellent for reducing the reflection of the stitching on the dash. Of course, it hasn't been sunny here for the past week or so, so I haven't had to use them too much lately.

It's not really a glare per se, but maybe more of a haze. I may just be too critical. It has also been a while since I cleaned the interior, so I might update this after the weekend.
Glare and the stitching reflection is gonna happen no matter what tint you have. From what I have looked up, the haze is a known phenomenon with ceramic tints. Some more than others. Part of it is related to the installation process, and others based on the film itself. I think some brands are more prone to this than others. I have Xpel on my windshield and unfortunately have a haze noticeable at certain angles. I may have the installer try to reinstall to see if it takes care of the issue. But if it does happen again, I may go with a different brand like 3M. I've been living with it for now just because the installer is a little far for me to travel to and I don't like not having my car for extended periods of time.

Back