Frunk was frozen shut this morning and tore the gaskets

Ry4an

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring 2023
Had a bit of a bummer this morning when trying to open my frunk: it had frozen shut. After the automatic opener strained mightily for awhile it still failed to open, but was ajar enough that the car sensed it as open. Since the car "thought" it was open pressing the button on the phone or in the car only tried to close it, which also failed. I finally pressed down on the frunk while the car was trying to close it, which allowed it to close enough that the car recognized the frunk as closed. From that position I was able to try opening it again, which this time succeeded but tore the foam rubber gaskets around the over-headlight air-ducts. Portions of the foam were so frozen to the bottom sill that they remained there until the midday thaw.

I contacted service and they'll replace the gaskets, but I would think a smooth silicone or vinyl gasket, or at least a closed-cell foam, would be less susceptible to water intrusion. Yesterday's rain had soaked the foam and turned into ice overnight.

I'm glad I was able to get the frunk re-closed (with some pushing) because the car won't shift into drive with the frunk open (sensibly).

All in all not a big deal, and I imagine the gasket replacement will be as easy as putting on some adhesive foam.

PXL_20231219_134546378.jpg

PXL_20231219_134554852.jpg

Had a bit of a bummer this morning when trying to open my frunk: it had frozen shut. After the automatic opener strained mightily for awhile it still failed to open, but was ajar enough that the car sensed it as open. Since the car "thought" it was open pressing the button on the phone or in the car only tried to close it, which also failed. I finally pressed down on the frunk while the car was trying to close it, which allowed it to close enough that the car recognized the frunk as closed. From that position I was able to try opening it again, which this time succeeded but tore the foam rubber gaskets around the over-headlight air-ducts. Portions of the foam were so frozen to the bottom sill that they remained there until the midday thaw.

I contacted service and they'll replace the gaskets, but I would think a smooth silicone or vinyl gasket, or at least a closed-cell foam, would be less susceptible to water intrusion. Yesterday's rain had soaked the foam and turned into ice overnight.

I'm glad I was able to get the frunk re-closed (with some pushing) because the car won't shift into drive with the frunk open (sensibly).

All in all not a big deal, and I imagine the gasket replacement will be as easy as putting on some adhesive foam.

View attachment 17124

View attachment 17123
I'm pretty sure this exact thing happened to @joec

I'm pretty sure this exact thing happened to @joec
Yep. Had the same issue almost a year ago. On a day when the temps were below zero and I had been driving 80 mph on the highway. Frunk just got icy and froze shut.

I don’t plan on using the frunk on particularly cold days. But I’ve never had the problem since, even when it’s regularly in the 20s or teens.

They replaced the foam, just as you suggested they will. Not a big deal. Took a while, but only because I had other issues at the time. The frunk fix took no real time at all. I imagine mobile service would be able to do it, even.

Good to hear it isn't a regularly occurring thing for cold weather Lucids. If it becomes a recurring problem I might try to source some silicone molding, but on days where it's not rain transitioning into ice I imagine it won't be a problem at all.

Does the car generate enough ambient heat to thaw the frunk? Might be a software solution where the car won't open the frunk if the ambient temperature is below some threshold and the car hasn't had enough warm up time to predictably open the frunk.

It happened to mine last year too. Mine was some snow melting that then re-froze. They had to replace the gaskets but it was minor.

I do plan on being more aware this winter to not use the frunk when there's mixed weather or melting/freezing cycles.

Would lubing them up prevent the damage?
I don't think so, only because the gasket, which was porous, was fully impregnated with water, which then froze. Imagine coating a dish sponge with grease. When you squeeze it the pores will squoosh out their grease, and then take in water, which can then freeze. In most cars a gasket like this is a cylinder of smooth rubber, which can be compressed, but cannot absorb water. I'm sure it'll end up fine, or else someone will sell aftermarket molded gaskets that will be perfect.

Redesign is needed. I'm surprised this didn't show up in cold weather testing.

View attachment 17124

View attachment 17123
My compliments to Lucid. Many car companies would claim that when you pushed down on the frunk you caused the misalignment and it is your fault and your financial problem, not theirs. It appears that Lucid is stepping up without question.

Many car companies would claim that when you pushed down on the frunk you caused the misalignment and it is your fault and your financial problem, not theirs.
This is the way you close the frunk manually. You do not have to use the automated motors, and can latch the frunk by pressing down above the L and D. Would be hard for Lucid (or anyone) to claim an owner caused an issue when they latched the frunk the way it was intended. :)

I’ve already had my frunk latches replaced because of the frozen frunk issue. The problem never recurred until this morning where I almost just got stranded in a Whole Foods parking lot while 24F outside, I was just wiping some smudges off the screen (yes I know about the screen cleaning feature that disables accidental button bumps), and popped the frunk by accident except it didn’t open. I tried to force it close 4 times, tried to open it 4 times, finally on the 5th time it opened and then closed successfully. Sigh of relief.

Onsite service is coming on Thursday to replace the gaskets. That's great service AFAIC.
Yeah their service is excellent, never had one complaint about them.

This just happened to me. I was about to try a can of de-icer when I read the instructions which said do not use on ‘plastic windows’. I assumed that meant any type of plastic so I didn’t use it. I was able to close the frunk but have not checked if the gasket was damaged. Seems like a flawed design, I use my frunk a lot but now I’ll need to ensure I don’t store anything in there that I’ll need in freezing weather. Would it be safe to use a de-icer on it?

Anyway, it was an interesting experience

Would it be safe to use a de-icer on it?
I wouldn’t? Seems like it could end up staining the plastic along the inside area of the frunk. Wouldn’t risk it.

We’ve been getting whacked with double-digit negative temps here this week. I’m just not using the frunk for now. It just gets too cold up there with all the wind blowing over it while driving.

This just happened to me. I was about to try a can of de-icer when I read the instructions which said do not use on ‘plastic windows’. I assumed that meant any type of plastic so I didn’t use it. I was able to close the frunk but have not checked if the gasket was damaged. Seems like a flawed design, I use my frunk a lot but now I’ll need to ensure I don’t store anything in there that I’ll need in freezing weather. Would it be safe to use a de-icer on it?
I think @Bunnylebowski used a hair dryer to unstick his frunk?

I’ve had a similar problem, to the point of it ripping off the rubber adhesive-backed seal on the car side (not yours which looks to be around the port on the trunk lid). They repaired it and that hasn’t happened since, but it does get stuck quite often in cold weather. What I do is have my wife hit the release button while I didn’t a little tug to help it open past the ice. From there, it’s able to close on its own.

Back