Front radar not operational, still waiting for replacement

rao_94583

Verified Owner
Cars
AT, Audi e-tron GT
We got our Air Touring a month ago, and the front radar did not work from day 1, with the error "Front radar blocked. Try cleaning sensor". So no adaptive cruise or highway assist.

We're more than a little disappointed with the lackadaisical manner in which Lucid service has treated this issue (which is very clearly a failure of pre-delivery inspection). I had the car in once, and they determined after three days that the radar unit was faulty and needed replacement (shouldn't it have been glaringly evident from the logs?). Now I'm waiting for the part to arrive, and the service advisor has to be prodded and coaxed into giving me an update. ("Probably next week" was the last vague answer).

Sigh.

We got our Air Touring a month ago, and the front radar did not work from day 1, with the error "Front radar blocked. Try cleaning sensor". So no adaptive cruise or highway assist.

We're more than a little disappointed with the lackadaisical manner in which Lucid service has treated this issue (which is very clearly a failure of pre-delivery inspection). I had the car in once, and they determined after three days that the radar unit was faulty and needed replacement (shouldn't it have been glaringly evident from the logs?). Now I'm waiting for the part to arrive, and the service advisor has to be prodded and coaxed into giving me an update. ("Probably next week" was the last vague answer).

Sigh.
Sorry to hear about your radar problem. I’ve had my touring for about a month also. In the first few days I was getting occasional “right front radar failure” displays. Intermittent but persistent. I called the Costa Mesa service center when I got home and they made an appointment for our local service rep (Frank) to come evaluate a few days later. Frank was great and after doing some computer diagnostics he started to disassemble the front right wheel well to allow access to the radar. He was able to determine it was very loose and probably not in its bracket. He then took apart much of the fascia surrounding the frunk to allow him better access to the radar. It was very disconcerting to see him take apart the whole front end of my new car but he finally was able to correctly attach it to the bracket, reassemble the car, and then do a ten minute test drive with the diagnostic computer still attached. All was well and we haven‘t had any recurrence. Frank was wonderful and the whole service team did their jobs efficiently and with great attention to the customer. Hope your issue gets resolved quickly and with improved attention to the customer.

When we took delivery we were told that the team that does the initial inspections has gotten crunched on time and they are given about 25% of the time to do the detailing and such per car that they used to have. Not terribly surprising they are missing things.

Sorry to hear about your radar problem. I’ve had my touring for about a month also. In the first few days I was getting occasional “right front radar failure” displays. Intermittent but persistent. I called the Costa Mesa service center when I got home and they made an appointment for our local service rep (Frank) to come evaluate a few days later. Frank was great and after doing some computer diagnostics he started to disassemble the front right wheel well to allow access to the radar. He was able to determine it was very loose and probably not in its bracket. He then took apart much of the fascia surrounding the frunk to allow him better access to the radar. It was very disconcerting to see him take apart the whole front end of my new car but he finally was able to correctly attach it to the bracket, reassemble the car, and then do a ten minute test drive with the diagnostic computer still attached. All was well and we haven‘t had any recurrence. Frank was wonderful and the whole service team did their jobs efficiently and with great attention to the customer. Hope your issue gets resolved quickly and with improved attention to the customer.
Question, how did he recalibrate the ADAS after reassembly if it was a mobile service? My car was just in for service as my door sill trim got dented, guess a rock hit it, and that piece of trim made it so they had to take the door apart, mirror off, and then recalibrate the cameras and radar.

And yeah sorry @rao_94583, waiting for parts is universal among auto makers these days. It took Subaru 3 months recently to get my wife’s brake booster replaced due to parts shortage.

I've had my Touring for a month. A few days ago, I started getting intermittent "right front radar failure" displays, too. Now they appear as soon as I enter the car and put my foot on the brake. Usually, the warning disappears after a few minutes. I have the latest software and have tried the soft reboot. Nothing helps. I called today and am now waiting for a service rep to call me back. Is it safe to drive the car while waiting for the service center to fix the problem?

I've had my Touring for a month. A few days ago, I started getting intermittent "right front radar failure" displays, too. Now they appear as soon as I enter the car and put my foot on the brake. Usually, the warning disappears after a few minutes. I have the latest software and have tried the soft reboot. Nothing helps. I called today and am now waiting for a service rep to call me back. Is it safe to drive the car while waiting for the service center to fix the problem?
It is fine to drive but highway assist will not be available. I frequentley get front and rear radar errors around metal hangars at the airport but I have not seen it say radar failure. Yours sounds much worse.

It is fine to drive but highway assist will not be available. I frequentley get front and rear radar errors around metal hangars at the airport but I have not seen it say radar failure. Yours sounds much worse.
Thanks for your reply. Sorry. I misspoke. The warning says "Right front radar fault" not "failure". That sounds a bit less serious.

Thanks for your reply. Sorry. I misspoke. The warning says "Right front radar fault" not "failure". That sounds a bit less serious.
Mine say radar error and clear with any normal reset and are a known bug according to customer care. Since yours does not clear with a reset, it is good that you contacted customer care. Let us know what they find.

Yeah hopefully all they need to do is isolate problem and then recalibrate the system, I think that doesn’t take too long.

Reactions: RCP
From my recall, Frank didn’t really do any recalibration on the computer when he remounted the radar. Thats what the test drive was for. It was at least 10 minutes or so before HA became available.

Back