Two blowouts and CS issues

magesh

Cars
X7 M60i, AGT
On Sunday @ around 4.30PM PST, the right side tires blew out .. Wife did not feel a shudder / bang, except the panel showing warning signs of 0 psi immediately. Luckily she was about 1/4 mile from Costco & was able to pull into the parking lot.

Upon inspection, the tires show a complete sidewall rip. She may have stuck a pothole, but she is not 100% certain. But she is 100% sure there was no other road debris. I drove the route & did see one 'small' pothole & if she did come in contact with it, it could not have been at more than 35mph, since the distance from the traffic light to the pot hole is about 200 yards. (No she does not have a lead foot, especially in thick Mother's day traffic on 99W). Costco tire center did not have 21s & remarked these 'fancy 21s" are hard to come by, but if these were 19s' or 20s' they could have replaced it on the spot. (They could have been blowing smoke, but I do know that 19s and 20s are a lot more easier to come by than 21s)

Lucid CSR:
I was @ home when her call came in & its about 30 minute (30 miles) drive to get to her. I logged a call, with a callback request. After about 10 minutes I called again & decide to wait ... for over 1.5 hours!!!!. Is this a reasonable 'hold' time? On my spare phone, I called out AAA (preferred plus member) and initiated a flatbed request, since Lucid was still on hold. AAA would not give me an ETA either, since it was a flatbed request. (I did not have the presence of mind about using dollies at that moment. Know better now.). We called other towing companies & they wanted to charge $300/- OR will not transport car across state lines!!!.

When Lucid CSR finally comes on (around 6.15PM) he claims that 'today' he was bogged by lots of calls and advised me to stick to AAA, since Lucid towing service will be even further out & they cover only 50 miles. And he would initiate a quote request for replacement wheels at my cost!!. (Lucid does not cover tires & I could take it up with Pirelli if I wanted.). Essentially, Lucid CSR was of no help in this situation.

Yesterday morning sent an email/request to Seattle SC POC for guidance. No response as yet from Seattle. Nor on the quote. Replacing 21s with 19s @ Discount Tire, which is a week out now.

AAA:
AAA showed up around 6.45PM & the car is back home. If I had waited for Lucid to seek help, imo, it would have been a 9PM ETA to my home. Takeaway: Super grateful for AAA membership. My recco: Get one. YMMV. It helped with Discount Tire pricing as well.

Don't waste your time with Lucid support and just buy a new tire and pay to have it installed. It's what you will end up doing anyway if you waste your time looking for support from Lucid. Most likely you had a bubble that was growing and it finally blew through while you were on the highway. Had the same thing happen to me and I know I did not hit anything when instantly the tire went to zero psi while driving on the highway.

Update:
After last Sunday (Mother's Day) episode, Lucid got back to me on Tuesday with a quote ... approx $1100/- with free shipping. Yaay. I pushed back stating warranty, but have not heard back.

With no confidence in that avenue, I got 19s (Drag non OEM wheels and Pirellis tires) from Discount Tire. The car now rides more 'cush'. The first couple of rides, it felt heavy/sluggish. But now feels 'awright'. If there is any update from Lucid, will report back here. And purchased the extended Discount Tire warranty as well.

Update:
After last Sunday (Mother's Day) episode, Lucid got back to me on Tuesday with a quote ... approx $1100/- with free shipping. Yaay. I pushed back stating warranty, but have not heard back.

With no confidence in that avenue, I got 19s (Drag non OEM wheels and Pirellis tires) from Discount Tire. The car now rides more 'cush'. The first couple of rides, it felt heavy/sluggish. But now feels 'awright'. If there is any update from Lucid, will report back here. And purchased the extended Discount Tire warranty as well.
Sorry that happened! And glad everyone is safe.

Did your rim get damaged?

Thx.

I think so. Its @ Discount Tire & need to get it home to look @ it.
When I had my front two tires replaced, 19". Lucid and Pirelli covered my cost at the time. I now have discount tire's warranty on it.
However they mentioned during balancing of the wheel, the rim had a very small ding and so they said it can't be placed at the front for rotations and should only be rotated between the back 2. And they marked the wheel with blue tape

When I had my front two tires replaced, 19". Lucid and Pirelli covered my cost at the time. I now have discount tire's warranty on it.
However they mentioned during balancing of the wheel, the rim had a very small ding and so they said it can't be placed at the front for rotations and should only be rotated between the back 2. And they marked the wheel with blue tape
Congrats on Lucid/Pirelli doing the right thing by you. Unfortunately not in my case & a few others reported here. Good for you. You were one of the Chosen Ones. :) Cheers.

Back