Update: 0 miles = bricked battery. They are replacing the battery pack, we still don't know what caused it though.

rcellio

Cars
Grand Touring
DE Number
The mobile charger's LUCID logo was white at my house, meaning it was fine and now Lucid's Millbrae service department says it's red for them. So they are replacing the mobile charger too.
Previous Post: I received my Air on April 6th. Drove it home, plugged it in and left for 2 months. I plugged it into a fully functioning 220V outlet. I set the range for around 200 miles as I thought there was no need to set it higher, I knew how long I was going to be gone. The light was green on the charging port when I plugged it in. 5 days before I came back I got a notification that the software had to be updated. OK, I pressed the button and didn't think about it until 3 days later when I got the notification that the software had been updated. I thought it was strange that it would have taken 3 days so I went back to the app which is when it said I had 0 miles and the car was shutting down. I had a neighbor come over, who has had extensive experience with Teslas, and play with it. The charging box LUCID logo was white, so it was fine. No breakers had tripped. The car, when he first found it, was flashing the white light, ready to charge. The 12 volt batteries were almost dead because it would open, after a lot of fiddling, screens come on but only for 5 seconds at a time. Enough time for him to take the charge cable out to see if that was the problem. It wasn't. White flashing light. We tried the 110 volt, didn't make a difference. I called Lucid and asked how was this car going to be towed if we couldn't even get the door open. A very nice person on the other end said that it was a valid question but not to worry, the flatbed driver would jump it. I had the thought after I hung up that I should have asked how they would get the hood open, but just thought I'd wait until the flatbed came. I didn't know this but the jumping points are behind the right rear wheel. You have to take a panel off and there they are. He hooked up a 12v battery to the jumping points and the car came to life but only for 5 to 10 seconds and then it would go back to sleep. In those seconds I would sit in the car and move it to Neutral and the flatbed driver would push. We did this about 20 times. If there was a trend as to for how many seconds the car would stay awake, it was only down. We finally got it on the flatbed and it is now at the Milbrae service center, awaiting service. From what I have read here, was I suppose to be going to the app every few days to wake the car up and have it charge? If that's the case, you're kidding me, right?

There are indications it doesn’t trickle charge.

It treats each charging event like a “fill up.” Once it’s full, it stops charging, and then doesn’t charge again until the next charging event.

Parasitic loads are quite high, so they could could drain a full battery in a matter of weeks if not trickling.

Maybe a software update will fix this behavior in the future.

See posts on this sub about battery drain for more on charging behavior.

That's very poor behavior, and probably can be fixed in he future with a software update

For comparison sake, my Model S charges with a high/low watermark system. It charges normally to 243 miles (90%), and when the range drops to 232 miles it will charge back to 243 miles again. This effectively prevents the batter from fully discharging while plugged in.

Back