Front bottom out and scraped

steveairgt

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Referral Code
83YOVHQD
Has anyone else had an issue where the front bottom of the car scraped on pavement? I was coming out of a parking lot where the grade was a little too much down hill. Thus the front underneath scraped.

You really can’t see it unless you get down on your knees. Although I know it’s there and pisses me off.

I wish we had adjustable air suspension like my Tesla Model did.

Thoughts?

Has anyone else had an issue where the front bottom of the car scraped on pavement? I was coming out of a parking lot where the grade was a little too much down hill. Thus the front underneath scraped.

You really can’t see it unless you get down on your knees. Although I know it’s there and pisses me off.

Thoughts?
Yes but that's like every single car I've ever owned. Don't bother me no mo!

Thoughts?
The question might be “has anyone with over 2k miles not done this”.

Thoughts?
To @Bill55's point above, I think we've all had that momentary lapse of attention and bottomed out accidentally. Try not to think about it too much. It's much better than a scratch you can see without crouching down under the car.

And as far as air suspension goes, that only helps if you remember to raise the car before driving over the grade. And if you can remember that, you can remember to slow down enough to not bottom out, no?

Thoughts?
How dare you! Not driving diagonally and taking 45 minutes to get up a driveway? You are unworthy of driving this magnificent machine, hand me the keys!!

Thoughts?
The front of this car is so low that it has to happen sooner or later. The parking garage at work is a nightmare with really high speed bumps and an exit that the car bottoms out on if anyone is in the car with me. My driveway is angled down and I have to exit really slow on that too. I did install these and I'm hoping that helps. (https://sliplo.shop/collections/shop/products/diy-kit)

To @Bill55's point above, I think we've all had that momentary lapse of attention and bottomed out accidentally. Try not to think about it too much. It's much better than a scratch you can see without crouching down under the car.

And as far as air suspension goes, that only helps if you remember to raise the car before driving over the grade. And if you can remember that, you can remember to slow down enough to not bottom out, no?
Yes but with Tesla Model X it remembers the GPS coordinates of that location such that the next time you approach the same spot it will rise automatically. I used to love that feature.

I bitched and moaned about doing this very thing not too long ago. Finally learned from youtube to approach steep driveway drops at an angle. The technique definitely works, but it still didn’t prevent me from doing this two days ago. It wasn’t a steep drop, but one of those pesky cement borders that remain invisible until it’s too late. I’m still heartburned up about it.

Attachments

• IMG_6677.jpeg
    IMG_6677.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 175
  • IMG_6676.jpeg
    IMG_6676.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 181
  • IMG_6674.jpeg
    IMG_6674.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 165
  • IMG_6675.jpeg
    IMG_6675.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 174

Thoughts?
I've had good luck by setting the drive mode to Swift when driving around in parking lots. The dampers are set to a stiffer tune and helps prevent the long body drop over low dips. This also works well for speed bumps.

I bitched and moaned about doing this very thing not too long ago. Finally learned from youtube to approach steep driveway drops at an angle. The technique definitely works, but it still didn’t prevent me from doing this two days ago. It wasn’t a steep drop, but one of those pesky cement borders that remain invisible until it’s too late. I’m still heartburned up about it.
Must be a huge drag coefficient increase of 0.001

Better than a house falling on your car!

Yes and the fact that @Bus Driver s house actually DID fall on his car. Except it only hit the tesla, which I would consider a service.
I had a massive oak tree fall at my house last year while we were in Italy. Took out our fence and a ton of landscaping but somehow didn’t damage the pool or the car parked out front. Had to remove and replace 3 massive oak trees (including the fallen one) because Cupertino oaks are protected lol.- replaced them with a bunch of California-native fruit trees and a cork oak instead.

I had a massive oak tree fall at my house last year while we were in Italy. Took out our fence and a ton of landscaping but somehow didn’t damage the pool or the car parked out front. Had to remove and replace 3 massive oak trees (including the fallen one) because Cupertino oaks are protected lol.- replaced them with a bunch of California-native fruit trees and a cork oak instead.
So you turned your house into knockoff apple park? lol

I've had good luck by setting the drive mode to Swift when driving around in parking lots. The dampers are set to a stiffer tune and helps prevent the long body drop over low dips. This also works well for speed bumps.
This is excellent advice.

Also is sprint any more stiff than swift?

I've done it.

I bought the Sliplo, but I'm too lazy to install it.

This is excellent advice.

Also is sprint any more stiff than swift?
Yes, I believe so. But the throttle response is much more aggressive too, which is counter-productive to being careful in a parking lot.

Back