Finally took a test drive today

In Florida they allow those who have reservation and invitation to confirm to drive, they do make exception though if you have reservation but are not yet invited to confirm order

I had a test drive yesterday in Short Hills, NJ. Got most of my questions answered, drove highway and city. Drives better than my Tesla MS. The most surprising (and annoying) aspect was the reflection of the stiching on top of the dash in the window. Surprising and a little bothersome.
What colour was the interior?

Mine is Mojave and I would say day 0 I didn’t notice anything (except the beeping to “watch the road”)
Today (day 4) I was much more aware of it … but it quickly got to the point where it wasn’t a distraction (Sorry not explaining it well - basically the line (the stitching) disappeared after a while)

Oh … and the passenger air bag light …seems to have been adjusted (down in brightness) - or you are all vampires who are light intolerant ;)

I had a test drive yesterday in Short Hills, NJ. Got most of my questions answered, drove highway and city. Drives better than my Tesla MS. The most surprising (and annoying) aspect was the reflection of the stiching on top of the dash in the window. Surprising and a little bothersome.
This is one of the things I can’t help but notice while driving in daylight. An unfortunately creative dash design results in a reflection of the stitching and dash crevices on the steeply sloped windshield. Fortunately, the more you drive it, the more you get used to it and eventually you don’t see it anymore.

What color was the tester you drove? I don’t recall seeing any reflective stitching, but when I was there, they weren’t offering test drives yet. Is anyone seeing this with the Mojave interior? Thanks…

Last edited:
This is one of the things I can’t help but notice while driving in daylight. An unfortunately creative dash design results in a reflection of the stitching and dash crevices on the steeply sloped windshield. Fortunately, the more you drive it, the more you get used to it and eventually you don’t see it anymore.

I think this is similar to the dash cutout reflection when one has a HUD. At first, I noticed it a lot. Then...it mostly disappeared.

That is what I thought of as well, kinda like my M5 HUD, not something I notice any longer. I certainly did not notice the reflection in my recent test drive, at least that I remember.

That is what I thought of as well, kinda like my M5 HUD, not something I notice any longer. I certainly did not notice the reflection in my recent test drive, at least that I remember.
It is heavily dependent on the sun position, but like @Mountain Man said you don't even notice it anymore after a few drives.

It is heavily dependent on the sun position, but like @Mountain Man said you don't even notice it anymore after a few drives.
I’ll be curious about the reflections once I have my GT. I have had an issue with my Leaf reflecting sun off of the middle screen to the point that it will blind me while driving. It is very dependent on the sun position, and only at a certain times of the day and year, which will reflect the sun off the screen right into my eyes. its really a safety issue As when it reflects, I am temporarily blinded.

There's no issue that I've discovered with being blinded by the sun here. Just seeing the stitching and that's it.

Oh … and the passenger air bag light …seems to have been adjusted (down in brightness) - or you are all vampires who are light intolerant ;)

Do you mean on the GT? Or did they somehow adjust it with software? I would *love* to take off the tint haha but don’t want to be blinded or have to reapply it :p

Finally! Got my test drive today in San Diego. They changed out their showroom Grey/Mojave preproduction car for a white/Tahoe/21” wheel. Their test drive is also a white/Tahoe but with the 19” wheels. I ordered the 19“ wheels and I have to say that I really like the 19’s.

The production car is a bit different than the preproduction vehicle in how it sits and feels. It’s not bad, just different. If you have only been in a studio pre-production vehicle, you really need to see one that matches what you will get delivered. It will take me a while to get the seats and steering wheel in a position I want, but once I do, at least it will be stored. I thought I had it set where I wanted but when I started driving, it wasn’t quite how I would ultimately want it set. But that is just a matter of spending more time with the car.

it does take a while for everything to boot which might bother me once my profile is stored. It was fine on the test drive because I was adjusting the seats, mirrors, etc. I like having seat adjustments on the actual seat. The mirror adjustments are on the lower center console. I found the mirrors (side and rear) smaller than I am used to, but with all of the cameras, that won’t be a problem.

The drive is a Dream! The power, acceleration, handling, suspension are all superb. You can tell it Is a solid, heavy car, but the drive Is spirited and it handles the weight extremely well. The regen on both standard or swift works well. i noticed there is a lot less regen when not in smooth mode, but rather it rolls more and I was having to brake. I will probably keep it in smooth mode with high regen. Believe me, smooth mode has all the acceleration one needs. This car is quick. It builds up speed fast and before you know it, you are driving 80 without knowing it. Will be VERY easy to speed in this thing. It is deceptively fast. It hugs the curves. The rough surface streets we went on felt smooth on this suspension and the road noise was a minimum. I am not an audiophile, but loved the Dolby Atmos sound system. Was able to back into the parking spot at the end of the drive. Loved the backup camera and 360 degree view. I can tell that the tech and software will take me a while to learn and get used to, and to deal with any glitches but Lucid hands down nailed the hardware. It is a solid 10. Now……. If I can just get my VIN. Today marks the start of month FIVE in my 2-4 month delivery window and those on the forum know, my one complaint with Lucid is the lack of proactive communication.

One last thing, I’d you don‘t like to be noticed, this car is NOT for you. You will be seen and recognized. Your neighbors will spot you if you are speeding up the street, and likely the police if you do one of those California stops. People were taking pictures of us at the lights. It is definitely a head turner.

Edit: Forgot to that they will be building a service center in San Diego. Corporate has been down looking for properties so it is on the horizon.

Finally! Got my test drive today in San Diego. They changed out their showroom Grey/Mojave preproduction car for a white/Tahoe/21” wheel. Their test drive is also a white/Tahoe but with the 19” wheels. I ordered the 19“ wheels and I have to say that I really like the 19’s.
Glad you got to try it in the 19’s. They’re my favorite from a ride perspective, though the 21’s look just so dang good.
The production car is a bit different than the preproduction vehicle in how it sits and feels. It’s not bad, just different. If you have only been in a studio pre-production vehicle, you really need to see one that matches what you will get delivered. It will take me a while to get the seats and steering wheel in a position I want, but once I do, at least it will be stored. I thought I had it set where I wanted but when I started driving, it wasn’t quite how I would ultimately want it set. But that is just a matter of spending more time with the car.
This is a good insight. In my three drives, all of them were pre-production. Are there any other differences you noticed?

This is a good insight. In my three drives, all of them were pre-production. Are there any other differences you noticed?
I have never driven a pre-production, but only sat in one. It was just little things. it felt like the profile was lower, but since it has been a while since I had been in the pre-production car, I could have been wrong about it. I didn’t ask if there were ever so slight differences in some of the sizing, but it certainly felt like it. I do know that the visors are placed higher up as they mentioned there would be different positioning in the production cars back when I was first at the studio.

I have never driven a pre-production, but only sat in one. It was just little things. it felt like the profile was lower, but since it has been a while since I had been in the pre-production car, I could have been wrong about it. I didn’t ask if there were ever so slight differences in some of the sizing, but it certainly felt like it. I do know that the visors are placed higher up as they mentioned there would be different positioning in the production cars back when I was first at the studio.
Good to know about the visors. Those being low was a gripe of mine because of eye-stabby sunlight coming over the visors at certain angles.

I got to finally test drive the GT myself today in West Palm Beach. Black/Santa Cruz/19" preproduction GT.

Boy does that thing accelerate quickly in all modes, but Sprint is just nuts. Unfortunately no good handling tests given Florida's crappy grid system of roads, but the few quick turns I did made the car feel very planted. The high regen is definitely going to take some getting used to, but I was already much more comfortable with it as the drive ended. Got to play with the sounds system a little (threw up some remastered Metallica - Master of Puppets through Tidal) and it sounded quite good.

Now I just need to keep impatiently waiting for my VIN....

How long were you waiting for the test drive in Short Hills? I reserved on 12/6/21 and converted to order on 3/1/22. Been bugging my DA to get me in there for a test drive (I live in Philly and that's the closest test drive available). My DA keeps hemming and hawing about it. Did you go through your DA or call that location direct? Thx!

FYI…. San Diego has been doing a lot of test drives, 6 today I was told, but only to people who have confirmed orders por an invite to confirm for now (so pretty much any GT reservation holder). When things settle down they will open it to touring reservation owners and then to pure. Eventually they will have all three trims at the studio for test drives, but not until the others go into production.

Seem like my locar studio allocates an hour per test drive. I only took 35 minutes - should've burned a few more electrons. Think I'll schedule another drive.

Yeah.. was told that too. That is not their strong suit. I’ve been following up ever since I heard that one was coming in. They never once gave me the heads up.
All the staff, I mean every single one of them, is pretty overloaded right now. So things like follow-up, phone calls, etc. sometimes suffer. Although, I have made just 2 contacts to customer care and they have been very responsive and followed-up immediately.

Back