Finally, BMW will bless the market with “the first all-electric luxury sedan.”

Well, when you're working 24/7 just to get to where EV technology was several years ago, you don't have a lot of time to follow the automotive press.

Well, when you're working 24/7 just to get to where EV technology was several years ago, you don't have a lot of time to follow the automotive press.

To be fair, BMW was early in the game with the I3. It did make a decision, criticized by many, to go with a platform design that would accommodate both ICE and electric. But the I4 which is built on such a platform has competed very well with skateboard vehicles. Furthermore, the IX seems very competitive. While the range is not as good as Lucid's, the testing I have seen says that BMW is doing very well in terms of efficiency.

Now if BMW can only get a designer who can design..................................

To be fair, BMW was early in the game with the I3. It did make a decision, criticized by many, to go with a platform design that would accommodate both ICE and electric. But the I4 which is built on such a platform has competed very well with skateboard vehicles. Furthermore, the IX seems very competitive. While the range is not as good as Lucid's, the testing I have seen says that BMW is doing very well in terms of efficiency.

Now if BMW can only get a designer who can design..................................
Bring back Chris Bangle?

To be fair, BMW was early in the game with the I3.

I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek with my comment. But I think there are two dimensions to the i3: (1) it launched BMW early into the EV game, and (2) it tempted them down the path of not quite breaking the umbilical cord to ICE technology: the strange motorcycle engine option in the i3 as an end-run to confronting range challenges; the i8's being neither fish nor fowl in terms of propulsion when Tesla had already proved the immense power and teased the range potential of pure EV platforms . . . .

For people who were looking to an EV future, Tesla emerged as the player most likely to take us there while BMW -- once an icon of leading-edge automotive engineering -- seemed to be roaming the wilderness trying to decide which map to use. At the same time, on the ICE front BMW was perceived to be losing its edge as the "ultimate driving machine" as its cars became more luxurious and more bloated, with the fine edges of its storied handling and steering precision wearing down.

Yes, I'm biased as I also have a reservation for the i4, but reviews have proven that BMW has achieved a high level of success with the i4 despite it sharing an ICE platform with the 4 series Grand Coupe. As Steveinarizona mentioned, it's fared very well in review after review against almost any EV it's been put up against, bespoke platform or not.

Sure, the e40's 301 mile range spec is not chart busting, but most people don't need more than that. On all other fronts, handling, luxury, features, noise isolation, usability, fast charging and software that works, it's mostly aces.

Yes, I'm biased as I also have a reservation for the i4, but reviews have proven that BMW has achieved a high level of success with the i4 despite it sharing an ICE platform with the 4 series Grand Coupe. As Steveinarizona mentioned, it's fared very well in review after review against almost any EV it's been put up against, bespoke platform or not.

Sure, the e40's 301 mile range spec is not chart busting, but most people don't need more than that. On all other fronts, handling, luxury, features, noise isolation, usability, fast charging and software that works, it's mostly aces.

With BMW we know that it has worked out a lot of the kinks (other than the pure BEV ones) such as adaptive cruise control, a HUD (none on the Lucid), etc. I am optimistic that Lucid will figure this all out by the time I am ready (2023 or 2024) but time will tell.

Ultimately, all cars have compromises. But Lucid has to get its issues under control to be at that stage.

With BMW we know that it has worked out a lot of the kinks (other than the pure BEV ones) such as adaptive cruise control, a HUD (none on the Lucid), etc. I am optimistic that Lucid will figure this all out by the time I am ready (2023 or 2024) but time will tell.

Ultimately, all cars have compromises. But Lucid has to get its issues under control to be at that stage.

Software is certainly Lucid's Achilles heel at this point, and there is more ground still to cover in getting it up to snuff than I had expected at this point. But we should not lose perspective on what Lucid has accomplished with the Air.

Just look at the functions that are in place and long-matured at legacy automakers:

Propulsion engineering
Chassis and brake engineering
Suspension engineering
Aerodynamics
Exterior and interior design
Lighting technology
Manufacturing engineering
Software engineering
Sourcing management
Regulatory compliance

About the only really new turn off the beaten path that a legacy automaker has to take to get an EV to market is in propulsion engineering.

Lucid, however, had to assemble almost all these functional capabilities from scratch, except for some of the technology they could leverage from the Atieva battery operations.

And -- with a few minor stumbles in early manufacturing and more significant pratfalls with software -- Lucid has brought to market a car with a combination of power, range, suspension sophistication, aerodynamics, interior room and occupant ergonomics, chassis and body solidity, and fit & finish that has no rivals in the ICE or EV space among either legacy or start-up manufacturers. (Some brands might beat Lucid in one or two of these dimensions, but none get as many of them into a single package.)

It is a stupendous accomplishment.

Given the differences in where they and Lucid each stood eight years ago, if BMW (or any other legacy manufacturer) had gotten as much done in the same eight years, they'd be making cars that fly by now.

Software is certainly Lucid's Achilles heel at this point, and there is more ground still to cover in getting it up to snuff than I had expected at this point. But we should not lose perspective on what Lucid has accomplished with the Air.

Just look at the functions that are in place and long-matured at legacy automakers:

Propulsion engineering
Suspension engineering
Aerodynamics
Lighting technology
Software engineering
Sourcing management
Regulatory compliance

About the only really new turn off the beaten path that a legacy automaker has to take to get an EV to market is in propulsion engineering.

Lucid, however, had to assemble almost all these functional capabilities from scratch, except for some of the technology they could leverage from the Atieva battery operations.

And -- with a few minor stumbles in early manufacturing and more significant pratfalls with software -- Lucid has brought to market a car with a combination of power, range, suspension sophistication, aerodynamics, interior room and occupant ergonomics, chassis and body solidity, and fit & finish that has no rivals in the ICE or EV space among either legacy or start-up manufacturers. (Some brands might beat Lucid in one or two of these dimensions, but none get as many of them into a single package.)

Given the differences in where they and Lucid each stood eight years ago, if BMW (or any other legacy manufacturer) had gotten as much done in the same eight years, they'd be making cars that fly by now.

I agree. That is why I said I am "optimistic" that Lucid will get its act together. This is one of the reasons I reserved a Pure: I wanted to give Lucid time to work out these startup gremlins. I have the equivalent (GEICO MBI insurance) of OEM warranty until the end of 2024 so I can wait for Lucid to get these issues resolved and also for the non Tesla infrastructure to get up to speed.

Propulsion engineering
Suspension engineering
Aerodynamics
Lighting technology
Software engineering
Sourcing management
Regulatory compliance

I measure car companies on their ability to deliver on expectations. I was an early BMW (1977 320 i) owner and stayed with the firm until their cars started to become big blobs with zero road feel. The last BMW I owned was a leased 2014 I3 as I could not resist the 189 dollar a month lease. Given the driving dynamics of the Lucid Air it is clear Lucid has the backbones in place to deliver on expectations. I am glad to see people on this forum air (no pun intended) their dirty laundry as it is the only way Lucid can get accurate feedback of the good the bad and the ugly.

Is there a reason, besides luxury you guys are looking at the iX over things like the ioniq, id4, or mach E?

For me, I'm looking at the i4, not the iX. I'm done with SUVs as my last 2 EVs, the I-Pace & e-Tron Sportback were SUVs. I much prefer sedans.

As for the ID4 & Mach E, I find their interiors cheap looking and uninviting and I'm not enamored with their overall exterior appearance. The i4 has far better dynamics and has been compared in several reviews as just short of the dynamics of the Porsche Tycan. There are other reasons, but that's the short story.

So it's either the Pure or the i4 for me. Much will probably depend on availability. I absolutely do not want to wait until 2023. It's been long enough at this point.

Is there a reason, besides luxury you guys are looking at the iX over things like the ioniq, id4, or mach E?

For me the combination of range, performance and features. It is not simply a matter of who has the most official range but also how efficient the car is at using battery capacity while enjoying driving. The BMW does that. I want to enjoy driving which impacts range but I only have a 20 amp 240volt dedicated circuit (I don't want to trench my lawn to bring in another line from the street to increase my power from 225 to 400). The other new BMW, the I4, is too damn ugly and has too little range.

The Lucid will be better IF it can perform as promised. For me, the IX is a backup plan and by the time I am ready (late 2023 or 2024) there will be many other choices as well.

Back