Exclusive Video: Sneak Peek of the Production Lucid Air

Joe

Staff Member
Admin
With just over two months until our global reveal, we couldn’t wait to give you an early look at the production Lucid Air. Today, we are introducing the first in a series of previews that highlight what we will show the world in New York this April.

You will see a hint of one of the special colors we have selected for the production Lucid Air’s debut, as well as glimpses of design elements like Lucid’s Intelligent Micro Array LED lighting technology, the expansive glass canopy roof, and the elegant script carefully chosen for the Air’s model logo.

Full details of the entire Lucid Air range — including features, specifications, and pricing — will be announced in April.

We're now almost a month past the canceled New York Auto Show. Since Lucid was prepared to make announcements about features, specs, and pricing there, it would seem that information is already finalized. I hope Lucid is not waiting for the rescheduled show in late August to make those announcements, as I seriously doubt if New York will be allowing venues such as the Javits Center to run huge crowd events even then.

I put down my reservation for a Lucid in September 2018. I also have a reservation on a Rivian R1S, and part of my decision about which way to go was going to depend on which got to market first, as the extended warranty on my Tesla is running out in early 2021. (I know Lucid and Rivian are utterly different vehicles, but my main agenda was to correct the shortcomings of the abysmal rear quarters in a Model S, and both Lucid and Rivian promise the most commodious rear seats for adults on today's EV scene.) As the latest round of information came out on Lucid's powertrain advances, I decided to go with the Lucid and upped my reservation to a Dream Edition.

Lucid is putting way too much stock in the publicity associated with auto shows, which are fading phenomena in today's marketing landscape. The auto press, which seems to be watching Lucid closely, will jump on any new information Lucid puts out whenever and wherever they put it out, particularly if the press is given access to and test drives of the production version. Holding off for an auto show that might or might not even happen is just frustrating people who are serious customers for the Air.

I just noticed that Lucid has now posted a new picture of the car on its "Stories" tag on the website. This looks to be the final production version, as the fins on the roof rails are gone and the rearview mirrors are larger. Maybe this is the black pearlescent that is one of the 3 Dream Edition colors?

This picture show blacked-out trim along the roof edges. I wonder if that's going to be standard or an option as it is with most cars that have it.

If this is a final production Dream Edition, it means at a least one more production-version car has now joined the original gold-color Dream Edition that was to have been shown at the New York Auto Show.

I tried to post a screenshot, but the file was too large. Here's the link:

Last edited:
I just noticed that Lucid has now posted a new picture of the car on its "Stories" tag on the website. This looks to be the final production version, as the fins on the roof rails are gone and the rearview mirrors are larger. Maybe this is the black pearlescent that is one of the 3 Dream Edition colors?

This picture show blacked-out trim along the roof edges. I wonder if that's going to be standard or an option as it is with most cars that have it.

If this is a final production Dream Edition, it means at a least one more production-version car has now joined the original gold-color Dream Edition that was to have been shown at the New York Auto Show.

I tried to post a screenshot, but the file was too large. Here's the link:

Good catch! Could be but, doesn't look finished?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 3.43.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 3.43.14 PM.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
Hmmm. Are you referring to the gap between the trunk and fender widening as it reaches the bumper? I hadn't noticed that earlier. Maybe it's an illusion caused by the line changing angle relative to the camera as it turns out over the bumper? If not, I guess that's why they're going to do a not-for-sale production run in the factory to work out pre-production glitches.

I did, think, though that this was a smarter-looking rump than was on the alpha cars.

Have you guys noticed how thick the door window frames are in the Air? I've noticed it in several shots, but this one really brought it home:

Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 8.30.05 PM.png

I've read several articles that say car roofs get their strength from the rails and that the metal roof skin contributes virtually nothing structurally. Consequently, a glass roof does not normally weaken the roof structure. However, since the Lucid is missing the lateral rail that usually runs along the top of the windshield, I'm wondering it they had to beef up the side rails substantially and these thick frames are needed to contribute in case of rollover?

I have noticed before and also assumed they added strength and rigidity given the glass canopy / windshield. However, in this particular pic the window frames do appear to be particularly thick. Let's see what the frames on the actual production version look like.

I've seen photos of the cars with finished interiors that have these frames covered in black. While that makes them less visually prominent, they appear to be in all the prototypes.

Lucid is using acoustic glass all around, so the window panes are probably pretty heavy. But even the old Mercedes and BMW big sedans that used double-paned windows with air space between didn't require heavier frames.

It may be that the frames are angled enough inward so that from a passenger position you're seeing more of the window than would appear from this photo. That, combined with blacking them out, might keep them from looking so oddly thick.

We'll see what the reveal yields. I get wrapped up in some of this because this will only be the second time I've ordered a car without being able to see one in the metal. (That other car was a 2008 Audi R8 which, due to long waiting lists, I ordered long before any were on dealer lots. But that car had been in the hands of auto journalists for a couple of months before I had to lock down the order, so pretty much every detail of it had been reported by independent drivers.) While some "marketing" cars are going to be sent to the Design Studios, the Florida studios aren't opening until around Christmas. The only way to see an actual car before I order might be to fly out to Newark, CA.

I hope Lucid turns some prototype cars over to the press to get independent impressions as soon as the reveal is over.

I've seen photos of the cars with finished interiors that have these frames covered in black. While that makes them less visually prominent, they appear to be in all the prototypes.

Lucid is using acoustic glass all around, so the window panes are probably pretty heavy. But even the old Mercedes and BMW big sedans that used double-paned windows with air space between didn't require heavier frames.

It may be that the frames are angled enough inward so that from a passenger position you're seeing more of the window than would appear from this photo. That, combined with blacking them out, might keep them from looking so oddly thick.

We'll see what the reveal yields. I get wrapped up in some of this because this will only be the second time I've ordered a car without being able to see one in the metal. (That other car was a 2008 Audi R8 which, due to long waiting lists, I ordered long before any were on dealer lots. But that car had been in the hands of auto journalists for a couple of months before I had to lock down the order, so pretty much every detail of it had been reported by independent drivers.) While some "marketing" cars are going to be sent to the Design Studios, the Florida studios aren't opening until around Christmas. The only way to see an actual car before I order might be to fly out to Newark, CA.

I hope Lucid turns some prototype cars over to the press to get independent impressions as soon as the reveal is over.
I’m hoping that by 9/10 I’m devouring good material from the various EV YouTube channels that have had some access to Lucid.

Back