Exclusive First Look | 2021 Lucid Air Dream Edition

There's a lot more information in this video than we have so far on the new Lucid website.

My initial thoughts from the reveal (and this video):

- I'm surprised there's so much variance in power output among the dual-motor versions (620 - 1080 hp)
- I'm surprised the tri-motor version will have only ~220 more hp than the Dream Edition (probably due to battery limitations)
- Good that the Dream Edition rear tires are 265mm in cross section to utilize more of the rear motor's torque
- I'm surprised there's a 38 mile variance in range between the 19" and 21" wheels, as both are aero designs
- I'm glad the 21" wheels are forged, because they'd weigh a ton with those spoke infills if they weren't
- I'm disappointed that electrochromic glass didn't make it to production
- I wish the Dream had the full range of exterior color choices
- I wish the Dream had more than one interior choice, although the Santa Monica looks better in the car than I thought it would
- I'm surprised there is only 1.6" difference in rear legroom between the smaller battery pack and the larger pack that fills the footwells
- I'm surprised the rear seat still cranks your knees up under you chin (the thing I like least about the Tesla Model S backseats)
- Those sun visors glued to the windshield are beyond hideous
- The rear seat headrests are nowhere near as attractive as in the alpha mock-ups
- I'm beginning to wonder if the $169k Dream Edition has a fold-down backseat center armrest, as it's never shown or mentioned (although the cut lines seem to be there)
- The new website is short on information that would be useful to buyers (UV and IR rejection of the canopy, usb plugs and media interfaces, gross vehicle weight, one-pedal driving or no, navigation graphics, rear passenger storage and cupholders)

Our decision:

We're going to get a black Dream Edition with the 21" wheels, unless we can get some color chips that change our minds.

Last edited:
- I'm surprised there is only 1.6" difference in rear legroom between the smaller battery pack and the larger pack that fills the footwells
Where did you get this info? I have been searching all over for it.

There's a lot more information in this video than we have so far on the new Lucid website.

My initial thoughts from the reveal (and this video):

- I'm surprised there's so much variance in power output among the dual-motor versions (620 - 1080 hp)
- I'm surprised the tri-motor version will have only ~220 more hp than the Dream Edition (probably due to battery limitations)
- Good that the Dream Edition rear tires are 265mm in cross section to utilize more of the rear motor's torque
- I'm surprised there's a 38 mile variance in range between the 19" and 21" wheels, as both are aero designs
- I'm glad the 21" wheels are forged, because they'd weigh a ton with those spoke infills if they weren't
- I'm disappointed that electrochromic glass didn't make it to production
- I wish the Dream had the full range of exterior color choices
- I wish the Dream had more than one interior choice, although the Santa Monica looks better in the car than I thought it would
- I'm surprised the rear seat still cranks your knees up under you chin (the thing I like least about the Tesla Model S backseats)
- Those sun visors glued to the windshield are beyond hideous
- The rear seat headrests are nowhere near as attractive as in the alpha mock-ups
- I'm beginning to wonder if the $169k Dream Edition has a fold-down backseat center armrest, as it's never shown or mentioned (although the cut lines seem to be there)
- The new website is short on information that would be useful to buyers (UV and IR rejection of the canopy, usb plugs and media interfaces, gross vehicle weight, one-pedal driving or no, navigation graphics, rear passenger storage and cupholders)

Our decision:

We're going to get a black Dream Edition with the 21" wheels, unless we can get some color chips that change our minds.
Per this article below:
“The Dream Edition will have a large glass roof with fixed opacity. Future roofs get electrochromic controls to adjust shade. There’s also a full metal roof coming.”

Where did you get this info? I have been searching all over for it.

On the new website, when you bring up the screen with the choices of the variants, there is a "Compare" button in the upper right corner. Click that and you will get some comparisons. Some of the info was under the "Specifications" tab on the new website main page. Some of it was in the video that LUCID posted at the head of this thread.

If you're asking specifically about the rear legroom, it was in the "Specifications" tab on the main website.

It's not a very coherently designed website. It took my brother and me working together over the phone to piece this together.

Thanks. Were you able to establish an account? I followed the instructions in the email, however, after selecting Log In I don't see any option to set up an account. Thanks.

I was able to establish an account after a few tries. The website has been slow to load tonight, and several times when it did it brought me to different pages, including some that lacked the 3-bar menu icon in the upper right corner that you need to reach the "Your Account" tab.

Even after finally setting up the account, configuring a car, and getting a "quick code" that would allow me to get back to my configuration quickly, I found several times that the "Log In" tab would not load.

I think the new site has some wrinkles that need ironing out, plus I'm sure it's getting heavy hits tonight.

Thanks. I'm still confused about the rear seat foot garage. Does the Dream Edition have the extra space / foot garage? Watching the video above it does not appear to have the foot garage but, on the configurator pic it does appear to have it. Not clear to me at all.

I'm confused, too. From the spec sheet, it appears it doesn't. But when you enlarge the thumbnail photo of the interior when configuring a Dream Edition, the footwell looks pretty recessed to me. One would assume that would be a picture of the Dream Edition rear seat since that's the configuration tab you're under, but the website is weird enough to leave me unsure. It's a question I'm going to ask my sales rep as soon as I can reach her.

(I thought I'd give you a screen shot of that rear floorboard, but that part of the page will no longer load. Maybe the website will be less erratic tomorrow. I'm hitting the sack. See ya' tomorrow.)

Last edited:
Ah, hah . . . finally got the screen shot. This photo was under the Dream Edition configuration tab, and the footwell looks recessed to me. But this doesn't square with the graphic of the battery pack for the Dream Edition.

Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 1.11.48 AM.png

That is precisely why I'm confused. Examined the same pic and made the same comparison. And, the footwells do not look recessed in the video above. Not clear at all.

I just sent this photo to my sales rep and asked her to confirm if this is from the Dream Edition. If not, I asked her to send me a photo that is. I'll let you know what she answers, though it surely won't be before tomorrow.

Thanks. And, I will do the same if I connect with my sales rep tomorrow.

Still can't locate anything on battery and drivetrain warranty.

I'm gong to compile a list of questions that still linger since the reveal and the new website's launch. I'll post them here first to see if anyone has anything to add. Maybe if several of us ask the same questions of our reps, we can assemble a more complete picture.

If Lucid expects people to pony up almost $170k for a car they can see only on the internet, they're going to have to get more granular and more precise with the information they're making available.

Great video. A better look than the reveal in some regards.

I have to remind myself that the reveal was likely more for people that don’t post several times a day on a Lucid forum.

But the website is kind of awful. Needs more substance.

I’m intrigued by the HP variance from basically the same setup. Future OTA boosts?

Besides body color, I’m not a big fan of the premium aluminum satin roof. I’ll get over it.

The front interior looks as expected, and well done. The rear cabin quality is a tad bit of let down from some of the early visions imo. I wonder if the price started to balloon.

There’s a lot of great technology and aspects. Certainly more than the current S. But I’m reminded how much of the premium price goes to the drive train and batteries, as 170k in an ICE can get you a bit better trim imo. They’ve shot for the S, but I think a better comparison are performance sports sedans that also have a lot of the list price tied up in means of moving.

I’m very high on Lucid. I’m excited for there to be a time in which improvements in charging and battery tech allow for less constraints based in range anxiety. (Which would also allow more of the price to cover human machine interfaces).

An aside, as autonomous driving progresses, I wonder if EV companies will start to offer different platforms- robo taxis (Model 3 interior), S-class like personal taxis, and driver cars? I think Lucid’s ethos sit well for the last two segments, but right now they’re having to combine the two.

Last edited:
I'm still obsessing about the rear legroom and footwells. The Dream has 35.8" of legroom according to the specs on the new website. I checked the Mercedes S Class (whose rear I find very comfortable), and it has 34.1". So in terms of absolute numbers, the Lucid fares well. However, I'm very concerned that the guy in the video above made particular mention of how high his knees were, which is a big bugaboo I have with the Tesla rear seat. He also noted that there was no room to slip your feet under the front seats, which there is in the Mercedes. It's not just about absolute numbers; it's also about configuration of seating position. I'm still worried.

I'm still obsessing about the rear legroom and footwells. The Dream has 35.8" of legroom according to the specs on the new website. I checked the Mercedes S Class (whose rear I find very comfortable), and it has 34.1". So in terms of absolute numbers, the Lucid fares well. However, I'm very concerned that the guy in the video above made particular mention of how high his knees were, which is a big bugaboo I have with the Tesla rear seat. He also noted that there was no room to slip your feet under the front seats, which there is in the Mercedes. It's not just about absolute numbers; it's also about configuration of seating position. I'm still worried.

I'm 100% with you on this concern. Isn't legroom the distance between the front of the rear seat and the back of the front seat? Doesn't tell you anything about the "height" from the floor to the top of the seat cushion? Hopefully, one of us will be able to speak to our sales rep today.

Still can't locate anything on battery and drivetrain warranty. Have you been able to locate?

Also, still can't create an Account for myself. The new site leaves a lot to be desired. Can't believe the hype about the configurator during the reveal.

Can't believe the hype about the configurator during the reveal.

Yep. What's to configure? Color choice (only 3); wheel choice (only 2), and whether you want the Cold Weather package.

Here's my first stab at the list of questions for my sales rep. If anyone would like to work with me to compose a consolidated list that we can send to our different reps (to compare answers to test consistency), please let me know:

NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness)

- Is there active noise cancellation (through the audio system)?

- Is acoustic glass used? If so, where?

- What are “semi-active dampers”?

Glass Canopy & Windows

- All glass blocks UV-B radiation. How much UV-A radiation is blocked by the canopy?

- Same question for windshield and side windows.

- What is the IR (infrared radiation) rejection of the canopy?

- What is the visible light transmission percentage of the canopy?

- What is the TSER (Total Solar Energy Rejection) rating of the canopy?

Regenerative Braking

- Will the car have one-pedal driving (like Tesla), or will the brake pedal have to be depressed to activate regenerative braking (like the Taycan)?

Rear Seat Leg & Foot Room:

- How is the rear floorboard configured?

- Does the battery pack in the Dream Edition allow for any foot well recesses?

- We need a definitive photo of the rear foot wells in the Dream, as the photo on the new website is suspect, in that it does not seem to comport with the graphic of the Dream Edition battery back that puts battery modules in the footwell space.

Warranties

- What are the drivetrain and battery warranties?

- What are the warranties on other elements of the car?

Dashboard & Convenience Features

- Will the lower screen display Google Maps or Google Earth images?

- What about USB ports and older media (CD player)?

- Does the rear seat have a fold-down center armrest? If so, what is in it (cupholders, USB ports, battery charging pads)?

Technical Data:

- What is the gross vehicle weight?

- What are the differences in the HVAC with the Cold Weather package? I assume the Cold Weather heater is a heat pump instead of a resistance coil. What difference in range and vehicle weight does the heating choice make?

- What is the weight of the 21” forged wheels?

- What is the bolt pattern?

- What are the front and rear wheel offsets?

Yep. What's to configure? Color choice (only 3); wheel choice (only 2), and whether you want the Cold Weather package.

Here's my first stab at the list of questions for my sales rep. If anyone would like to work with me to compose a consolidated list that we can send to our different reps (to compare answers to test consistency), please let me know:

NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness)

- Is there active noise cancellation (through the audio system)?

- Is acoustic glass used? If so, where?

- What are “semi-active dampers”?

Glass Canopy & Windows

- All glass blocks UV-B radiation. How much UV-A radiation is blocked by the canopy?

- Same question for windshield and side windows.

- What is the IR (infrared radiation) rejection of the canopy?

- What is the visible light transmission percentage of the canopy?

- What is the TSER (Total Solar Energy Rejection) rating of the canopy?

Regenerative Braking

- Will the car have one-pedal driving (like Tesla), or will the brake pedal have to be depressed to activate regenerative braking (like the Taycan)?

Rear Seat Leg & Foot Room:

- How is the rear floorboard configured?

- Does the battery pack in the Dream Edition allow for any foot well recesses?

- We need a definitive photo of the rear foot wells in the Dream, as the photo on the new website is suspect, in that it does not seem to comport with the graphic of the Dream Edition battery back that puts battery modules in the footwell space.

Warranties

- What are the drivetrain and battery warranties?

- What are the warranties on other elements of the car?

Dashboard & Convenience Features

- Will the lower screen display Google Maps or Google Earth images?

- What about USB ports and older media (CD player)?

- Does the rear seat have a fold-down center armrest? If so, what is in it (cupholders, USB ports, battery charging pads)?

Technical Data:

- What is the gross vehicle weight?

- What are the differences in the HVAC with the Cold Weather package? I assume the Cold Weather heater is a heat pump instead of a resistance coil. What difference in range and vehicle weight does the heating choice make?

- What is the weight of the 21” forged wheels?

- What is the bolt pattern?

- What are the front and rear wheel offsets?

Your list covers all of my questions except for one:

- Home Charging outlet type, voltage, and amp requirements.

Back